"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 S/T Album) Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's a fair comment - only you really do have to wonder about the gouge factor at some outlets compared to others. I have this deluxe box on order from Amazon UK and my total to my door is US $55.11 That's a big difference.

Anyway - I'm not one that cares as much about blu vs DVD based stuff. For me, they all function the same in the end. :)

Very possibly it could have a much higher wholesale cost in the US. Not logical, but possible.

Let me just say this on the cost front...if somebody thinks that $55 for a 5 disc box set of an album that was a #1 Billboard hit is too much...I don't understand the reasoning...let's compare it to the Roxy box set...which currently costs 3 times that much on amazon US....just saying..nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes...I'd be more curious to know what went on at Universal when they decided to not use the Steven Wilson CD mixes...which were already finished...and of course that price that they arrived at...did they just sit around a table and throw darts on a board?...and it's not like this is the polished version of Roxy(which is ok to like)which generated good sales figures...this was the debut album that is considered to be more for the die hard Roxy fans..which is a much smaller group of potential customers...I learned a long time ago that trying to figure out what these record companies think is an impossible task...I wish I would have purchased 2 of these box sets at that $55 figure...and I don't have a turntable...BUT I might get one someday...and if I don't...I have friends who do and wouldn't mind a free LP:)

I can only speak for myself, but when you take price out of the equation, the “Roxy Music” box set still holds more value for me, and not just because of the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix in DTS.
I can’t wait to hear the demos and alternate takes on Disc 2 along with the BBC sessions on Disc 3 and the video footage on the DVD.
I agree that the current asking price for it on most sites is absolutely ridiculous, but in the end, the content of the entire package excites me a lot more than “Fleetwood Mac”, and same goes for “Heavy Horses”, “Brave”, and even “Fish Out Of Water”.

Let me just say this on the cost front...if somebody thinks that $55 for a 5 disc box set of an album that was a #1 Billboard hit is too much...I don't understand the reasoning...let's compare it to the Roxy box set...which currently costs 3 times that much on amazon US....just saying..nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes...I'd be more curious to know what went on at Universal when they decided to not use the Steven Wilson CD mixes...which were already finished...and of course that price that they arrived at...did they just sit around a table and throw darts on a board?...and it's not like this is the polished version of Roxy(which is ok to like)which generated good sales figures...this was the debut album that is considered to be more for the die hard Roxy fans..which is a much smaller group of potential customers...I learned a long time ago that trying to figure out what these record companies think is an impossible task...I wish I would have purchased 2 of these box sets at that $55 figure...and I don't have a turntable...BUT I might get one someday...and if I don't...I have friends who do and wouldn't mind a free LP:)

Woo hoo! :banana::banana::cool::cool:

I can only speak for myself, but when you take price out of the equation, the “Roxy Music” box set still holds more value for me, and not just because of the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix in DTS.
I can’t wait to hear the demos and alternate takes on Disc 2 along with the BBC sessions on Disc 3 and the video footage on the DVD.
I agree that the current asking price for it on most sites is absolutely ridiculous, but in the end, the content of the entire package excites me a lot more than “Fleetwood Mac”, and same goes for “Heavy Horses”, “Brave”, and even “Fish Out Of Water”.

I had that feeling all along that you valued the Roxy release more...everybody likes something different..I can understand that...what I don't understand is Universal's thought process..usually these record companies look at the sales figures of the titles they consider for these box sets....Fleetwood Mac was a no brainer...the sales figures were impressive...conversely the sales for Roxy's debut album were modest...so when Universal decided to do the Roxy debut album...how in the world did they think they could sell this box set at the current price?...I'm serious...did they price it high because they projected small to modest sales figures?...any thoughts...

I'll be your friend. :D

How can anyone complain about the price of a box set? I just paid $80 for a nose bleed seat to see Joe Satriani for a concert. I will only get to hear the music once. For $395 you can buy a nose bleed seat to see Jacksonville beat New England in 0 degree weather this Sunday. Disney World costs $105 for a one day pass. These box sets are an incredible bargain in my book. Sgt Pepper was worth three times the price.

How can anyone complain about the price of a box set? I just paid $80 for a nose bleed seat to see Joe Satriani for a concert. I will only get to hear the music once. For $395 you can buy a nose bleed seat to see Jacksonville beat New England in 0 degree weather this Sunday. Disney World costs $105 for a one day pass. These box sets are an incredible bargain in my book. Sgt Pepper was worth three times the price.

That shows that you have $80 discretionary dollars. Not everyone does, you know.

Don't get me started, Tom.

:yikes, is this the same 'guy' whose maximum expenditure on a 3D BD~V is TEN BUCKS? :ugham:

If, like myself, one only desires the 5.1 remix these over the top kitchen sink boxsets have to offer [NO Vinyl, NO outtakes demos, etc and certainly NO coffee table sized picture book], then yes, the prices are outrageous.

As I said before, if one can purchase a new SONY UHD X~800 player on sale for $150, paying $150 list for a boxset IS OUTRAGEOUS.....MOST especially when all you really want is the 5.1 remix.

And don't even get me started on concert tickets. A few years ago when Streisand was performing in Manhattan, seats, NOT even Prime Ones, were going for $2K! (n)(n)

BTW, just received notification from AmazonUK that my 'deluxe' Fleetwood Mac boxset was being shipped out for US $56 delivered! A price on par with a single SONY Japan QUAD SACD in 7" packaging....when you factor in s/h fees.

For $395 you can buy a nose bleed seat to see Jacksonville beat New England in 0 degree weather this Sunday.
Well I hope the Jags don't beat the Pats and by the looks of it at game time it'll be close to 50 in Foxboro :).

So has anyone listened to the 5.1 mix? How does it sound?

Don't get me started, Tom.

:yikes, is this the same 'guy' whose maximum expenditure on a 3D BD~V is TEN BUCKS? :ugham:
It sure looks like you did get started. Your reading comprehension is very poor. I never said my maximum expenditure is ten dollars, I said my average disc is $10. The two Lichtmond discs I bought were $40 each.

Blu-Ray is more expensive to author and manufacture than DVD-V is, but it’s not like Rhino have been unwilling to release Blu-Ray Audio discs.
“Chicago Quadio”, “Best of the Doors”, and “Hotel California” are all recent examples of Rhino’s support of high-res Blu-Ray audio discs.
Of course, they could always put together a Fleetwood Mac Blu-Ray audio box set with “Fleetwood Mac”, “Rumours”, “Tusk”, and “Mirage”, and if they did, I will be first in line to buy it, but this current “Fleetwood Mac” set is a hard pass for me.
In this instance, I will probably never play the CDs and I don’t have a turntable, so $50+ is too much to pay for a Dolby Digital DVD.

I will save my money for other releases like “Roxy Music”, “Heavy Horses”, “Brave”, and “Fish Out Of Water”.

I know those albums and will purchase the Roxy and Tull but IMO the Fleetwood Mac s/t album is better than all 4 albums you mentioned combined.

Are you sure, that "fish Out Of Water will be in DTS? ;)

If you don't have that kind of money then you are definitely in the wrong hobby. Take up stamp collecting.
That's a rotten, elitist thing to say. I should not love music or want to hear it in it's best form because of cash? You'd be amazed at the sound to dollar ratio of my system and there is no reason they can't put out the surround disc by itself for $20-29.

Are you sure, that "fish Out Of Water will be in DTS? ;)

It's a shame that I can never be certain of anything anymore unless I test the disc myself!
I had assumed that the "Fleetwood Mac" DVD would have DTS audio on it based on both "Tusk" and "Mirage", but I missed the warning sign last year that was Rhino's reissue of "Core" by Stone Temple Pilots, which had a Dolby-only 5.1 DVD in its box set.
Oh well, at least I was able to cancel my box set order for "Fleetwood Mac" before it shipped. That's much easier than dealing with the hassle of sending it off after it's already arrived, which was the case for me with last year's Bruford box set.

As for the other upcoming 5.1 DVD releases ("Roxy Music", "Heavy Horses", and "Fish Out Of Water") if all of them have DTS audio, great. If not, I will send back whichever ones do not.

:)

there is no reason they can't put out the surround disc by itself for $20-29.

The easiest compromise would be for the record labels to release CD/Blu-Ray and/or CD/DVD sets that fall in that price range.
Single DVDA-V discs died out over 10 years ago, and 2017 proved that the market for single Blu-Ray audio discs is vastly shrinking too. (I can only remember Anathema and Steven Wilson offering single Blu-Ray audio discs last year, and neither artist are what I would consider 'mainstream'...)

Like so many on here, I also dislike the fact that in so many instances, we have to spend a lot of money on multi-disc box sets for only one disc that we will play regularly, but if the currently announced releases for 2018 are any indication, multi-disc box sets are here to stay, so the only choice we have is to buy or not buy what is released.

In the case of "Fleetwood Mac", I'm now choosing not to buy this set. Ymmv...

:)

... and 2017 proved that the market for single Blu-Ray audio discs is vastly shrinking too. (I can only remember Anathema and Steven Wilson offering single Blu-Ray audio discs last year, and neither artist are what I would consider 'mainstream'...)

Thankfully, the Alan Parsons Project re-issues offer them as well with Tales (wasn't that last year?) and the upcoming single disc release of Eye in the Sky.

Back