QuAUDIOPHILIAc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relayer

Found this on JamBase.com...

Agoura Hills, CA: DTS (Digital Theater Systems, Inc.) announces the release of QuAUDIOPHILIAc by Frank Zappa. The DVD-Audio disc is an audiophile documentary featuring various multi-channel recordings and mixes produced by the composer throughout the 1970s.

These vintage mixes were culled from the vault by Zappa Family archivist Joe Travers. Dweezil Zappa constructed the sequence and produced the program now known as QuAUDIOPHILIAc for release.

QuAUDIOPHILIAc debuts previously unreleased performances, both live and from the studio, of compositions such as "Rollo" and "Venusian Time Bandits," and features experimental multi-channel recordings from Zappa's basement from as early as 1970. The DVD-A includes tracks from Sheik Yerbouti, Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar, and Orchestral Favorites superbly mixed in surround. QuAUDIOPHILIAc is licensed in cooperation with the Zappa Family Trust and FZ's Barking Pumpkin label (www.zappa.com). DTS Entertainment previously released the first Zappa DVD-Audio release Halloween in 2003.

"From his quadraphonic releases in the early '70s, through the multi-channel theatrical mix of his 1979 film Baby Snakes, Frank Zappa was a passionate advocate for surround sound," said Jeff Skillen, Vice President of DTS Entertainment. "We are proud and excited to continue our relationship with the Zappa family, and to bring these incredible, ground-breaking recordings to the world. We hope that the release of QuAUDIOPHILIAc will help raise awareness of the greatness, staying power and relevance of Frank Zappa's music, as well as give the public a thrilling new surround music experience."

The QuAUDIOPHILIAc surround sound DVD-Audio disc includes

- Ten recordings exclusively mixed and issued in surround, including:
- Selections from 1975 UCLA Royce Hall Concerts
- Mesmerizing live/studio hybrid musical inventions by Zappa

- High resolution DTS 96/24 surround and stereo mixes for all DVD-Video players
- Special "Surround Pioneer" presentation from the 2003 SurroundPro Awards ceremony, including video of Frank Zappa discussing advanced surround playback
- On-screen notes by Dweezil Zappa
- Complete visual discography and special photo gallery
- And a special bonus: Frank Zappa's visionary 1983 Music Industry Proposal for downloadable music (pre-dating the online phenomenon by 20-plus years)

"Frank surrounded himself in music whenever and wherever possible," said Gail Zappa. "He was always pushing the envelope of what was possible given his available tools and inventive concepts gleaned from years of experimenting with all manners of the recording experience--from the type of microphone and its placement to the waveform of the mix itself. For him, anything was possible, subject only to the budget, and this idea extended well beyond the studio. The only place where this restriction could not deter him was in his imagination. Having said that, Dweezil is no slouch in the studio either."

"I am continuously intrigued by Frank's music and the way he composed and recorded it," said Dweezil Zappa. "Having the opportunity to hear some of my favorite songs that were formerly in stereo but now in surround is really exciting. As he explains in the liner notes, QuAUDIOPHILIAc is "an interludicrous journey that we could all experience together."

Excellent, Relayer; very fine, indeed. I expect to have this jewel (via CD Universe) in my hands by Wednesday, which will certainly get me through the rest of the week! Now, if I can just remember where I hid the stash, Frank and I...and a handful of friends will have a memorable Friday evening. The gathering for the DTS Halloween was enough fun to suggest this will be just utterly. Maybe better than that. Make note: wear clean underwear.

Just picked this one up today. Have not really had a chance to listen to it.
Ok listening now. Never been exposed to a lot of Zappa but it's interesting stuff and certainly way ahead of his time.

Last edited:
Got it used from a fella who was selling some dvd audios and SACDs.

.Can anyone confirm details in the release notes on this page
http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Quaudiophiliac

So, is this true?

Does it change the way I wire my player? or do i have to stand on my head?

and its a diamond, not a square? huh. rhombus?

Thanks. it sounds great anyway, so maybe it could sound better?

I am not sure what you're after. There is no center and no LFE on the disc, play it accordingly.

Sounds fine to me too but...

if you read the box drawing in the liner notes, you would have to be laying on your back for it to be correct.

Sounds fine to me too.

When I went to rip my DVDA to my server (image file), it would not play properly in foobar2000 because it has some 5.1 tracks and some 4.0...I had to redo the tracks to make it look like a full 5.1 disc and insert silent tracks for the 4.0 songs. I saved as 5.1 flacs and now sounds superb in foobar...

Sounds fine to me too but...

if you read the box drawing in the liner notes, you would have to be laying on your back for it to be correct.
Oh, OK. But it says that the drawing is not correct in regards to what is on the disc.

Granted, I have a 4.0 HW setup as well, so it is not a big issue for me. I had not noted, though, that some were 4.0 and some 5.1.

Hm, now I think I need to listen to this very soon; 'twas a long time since.

Back