HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
I should add the following...

comparing the first track on the sampler ...Strawberry fields forever with track 13 on the dvda there are several differences...

1.The dvda is drenched in more echo and reverb than a Dave Dexter creation,
wheras the sampler isn't.

2.The sampler version has a clean intro and ending... whereas the love cd/dvda are quite clearly joined/crossfaded into track 14.

3.The balance of the sound on the sampler cd sounds like a normal Beatles release...everything neatly levelled, wheras the dvda in comparison, the levels are all over the place...at times I want to adjust the rears or the centre speaker levels....

I should add the following...

comparing the first track on the sampler ...Strawberry fields forever with track 13 on the dvda there are several differences...

1.The dvda is drenched in more echo and reverb than a Dave Dexter creation,
wheras the sampler isn't.

2.The sampler version has a clean intro and ending... whereas the love cd/dvda are quite clearly joined/crossfaded into track 14.

3.The balance of the sound on the sampler cd sounds like a normal Beatles release...everything neatly levelled, wheras the dvda in comparison, the levels are all over the place...at times I want to adjust the rears or the centre speaker levels....

That's fine. I absolutely respect your opinion.

I just can't find anything to not like about the dvda. We're dealing with 36 to 42 year old masters. Even in spite of that, I'm hearing lots of stuff ( good musical stuff) that I never heard before. The bass in Come Together- it's so low, wow!; the second lead guitar on Revolution - it's so clean now - it just jumps out at you. The bass on I am the Walrus - that really rocks. I'm hearing way more of Ringo's drumming then ever before. The violins on Eleanor Rigby are so strong and vibrant. And on and on. After growing up on the 45's and LP's of this mighty band this new disc is heaven sent.

This group has always been my favorite - right from start. But now, because of what I am hearing on this disc, I have a new appreciation of this band. They were even better than I thought - I just couldn't hear it before. Consequently, I love the dvda.

Just completed my first listen to the dvd-a 5.1 disc, and must say I'm mightily impressed with this. The mixing of source material and new string arrangments gets my thumbs up. A few more listens with the lights down low on me tod before I give it a rating (although it will be high).

:51banana:

Just completed my first listen to the dvd-a 5.1 disc, and must say I'm mightily impressed with this. The mixing of source material and new string arrangments gets my thumbs up. A few more listens with the lights down low on me tod before I give it a rating (although it will be high).

:51banana:

Just an FYI, there is only ONE new string arrangement, on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. No other new sounds appear (other than a pigeon on the Because backing sound effects track). Every sound you hear is from a Beatles recording. Some manipulated, most as is.

Seeing as how my system is legendary 4.0 ONLY and I have it set to downmix center and sub to the fronts....

I still love this disc!! I picked it up at CD+Plus for $24 canadian. I couldn't say no!

I hope the sales of this disc kick EMI in the proverbial butt and get other albums released mixed in 5.1

I too am not a huge fan of the mash-ups.... they're ok, but I could do without. But that's not the point.... it's the Beatles and it's in 5.1! Let's pray for more!

Just an FYI, there is only ONE new string arrangement, on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. No other new sounds appear (other than a pigeon on the Because backing sound effects track). Every sound you hear is from a Beatles recording. Some manipulated, most as is.

I meant string arrangement!!! oops!

It's practically all been said by now - this is my new demonstration disk for those wanting to hear what HiRez surround sound has to offer. While I have no reservations with the audio, I still would like to have had more visuals with the music.

It's practically all been said by now - this is my new demonstration disk for those wanting to hear what HiRez surround sound has to offer. While I have no reservations with the audio, I still would like to have had more visuals with the music.

About the visuals, I agree with your thoughts as we live in a very visual world today. I have tried a different approach with this disc. I have showed/introduced two people to this surround medium using this disc. Both are over 53 years old and were into the Beatles music in it's peak days. Back then, there were no visuals, just an LP spinning on a turntable. For the demo, I left the TV/Monitor off and simply started the disc. They only had the music to focus on and they were not distracted by anything else. In these cases, the music spoke for itself. The visuals that I enjoyed at the time was the expression on their faces from song to magical song!

Just a thought.:smokin
(I have always thought that it is really only about the music)

Woooooof! :sun Picked it up for $16 US at Costco (I love those guys) and eagerly slapped it on the Pioneer. Beautiful audio, excellent artistic remixes, an enveloping, continuous experience - the only thing that kept it from being a "10" for me was the lame-o visual content during play. Not that I care that much about the video component of a DVD-A, but if you're going to have something there - well, make use of it, I say.

No complaints on this end :D

Well you can't have video while you play dvd-a still pictures is as good as it gets. I gave this an 8 for a few reasons.. first off they seem to have over inflated the bass a bit especially comnpared to the original recordings I assume this is to make it more youth friendly, also the surround mixes I don't think are as good as the ones made for the beatles dvd documentary but they are still very enjoyable some songs seem to get better treatment than others.

I'm on my first listen at the moment, and I wanted to post my first impressions:

I should preface this by saying that I am a huge fan of the Beatles. I own every recording in Stereo and Mono (when either is available). I've played them all to death. I absolutely love the Beatles.

That said, I'm not ready to give this a 10.

I think the mix is fantastic.

That said, I think the whole "Mash Up" thing is gimmicky and silly. This whole thing is one giant tease. I would rather they had done a straight "Greatest Hits" 5.1 collection. That way we could have the entire songs (although some are nearly complete.) It really just makes me want surround mixes of the original albums that much more.

Still, there is a lot to like here.

I'm not going to vote until I've listened to the entire thing a couple more times, but right now I doubt I'll be voting a 10.

It would be a huge disappointment if this turns out to be the only official Beatles surround release.

I think the mix is fantastic, didn't bother watching the video portion, just did a home theater audition in 5.1 (the first go-round) with my wife and a good friend. I enjoyed the theatrics - a good parallel to a Circque du Soliel show (which if you haven't seen one:eek: you should find a way:D ).

Several times I wanted to cheer, great multichannel "wow", loud guitars when needed. Also, one of my favorite "Revolution" versions, not stale, flat, or redundant.

When voting about Beatles, number 9 is reserved to th White album only! :)

Apparently not...I'm voting a '9' for this one. Might've gotten a 10, but in the end, it offers us the potential of what the Beatles albums might be like in 5.1, but the contrived, novelty nature of the package will keep this one from a lot of repeat listening, which could never be said for the original albums.

Still, there's a lot to like, which is why the word 'potential' is applicable here, since the mixes are fairly creative, but we can't be sure just how great the originals could be properly mixed(even with ANTHOLOGY as a reference).

This disc should certainly impress anyone 'on the fence' concerning the Beatles in 5.1, because it is a good showcase.

ED :)

I have had this for a while, but I just voted. I couldn't give it a 10, but I really, really like Love.

The mashup concept is what it is. This was developed for a theatrical presentation, and (I haven't made it to Vegas to see the show) and the creative aspects of this probably fit the production perfectly. IMO they also stand on their own as home music. Given that some original participants blessed this or participated in its production, we should let that lie.

The DVD-A should have been authored to give us easy access to the various tracks available - hirez 2.0, DD, DTS, etc. Simply a mis-judgement, and poor execution.

Video/onscreen? Unless they went whole-hog and did a visual presentation unique to the DVD distribution that equalled the live production, we shouldn't care.

The Center Channel issue is a non-issue. Think of it this way: there are two extremes when using the center channel in a 5.1 mix. One would be to exclude the use of the C entirely (Alan Parsons). 5.1, and in-particular LCR stereo, is a significant leap from 2.0 largely because of the existence of C, and its use to expand the sweet spot and cement the image. It's folly for an engineer to mis-understand this concept and reject it, simply because phantom C is they way he or she has always done it. The other extreme is to always use C for dry vocals, much like film mixers use it for dialog. This is generally counter productive for home presentations, and doesn't take advantage of what LCR can offer. The Martins, Bruce Botnick on the Door set, and many other engineers understand this and have used it appropriately in my opinion.

The worst thing about the Love 5.1 mix? The use of the LFE channel. The Martins have used the LFE channel to double certain elements and instruments from time to time.

It might not be apparent, but the fundamental misunderstanding of this feature by the Martins has doomed this mix to sound different on the vast majority of systems compared to their reference system. Bloated or thin bass, phasey imaging, and many other problems people report about this mix on various systems can all be attributed to this. The five main channels contain three more channels of headroom for the bass than two in a 2.0 stereo mix - if five channels isn't enough to deliver bass, another limited-range channel won't be enough to fix this! Film mixers use the LFE channel for Low Frequency Effects, nothing is ever duplicated in the mains and the LFE subwoofer (although even the largest theater systems don't have low frequency response as low as most home theater systems do in their main channels, it may come as a surprise). Why music mixers have mis-understood and mis-used this, trying to re-invent the wheel, is beyond me. This doubling of parts is guaranteed to make the mix sound worse on some of the best home systems than on some of the cheapest. Engineers must get the word that bass management can't be done at the mix level - it has to be left for the hardware speaker-management (as is the case in 90% of home systems anyway, and if the subwoofer is not integrated with the mains using bass management, this LFE content will not be reproduced correctly, if at-all).

This doesn't stop me from enjoying Love, but this aspect annoys me every time I do listen to it.

Back