HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
Well, I managed to talk my wife into letting me have this gift a few weeks early... And I'm glad I did. After all the hype, I have to admit I was concerned of being disappointed, but after 26 tracks I wanted more! I have been listening to the Beatles for over 20 years, but this 5.1 mix made me feel like I had just put the needle to Sgt. Pepper for the first time.

The Mr.Kite/I want you/Helter Skelter track blew my mind.:mad:@: I love every bit of it with the exception that I think the helter skelter lyrics should have moved instead of being head on. The whole "I Want You" ending makes me feel like all of the sound is whirling around me, but then there are the stationary vocals which kind of threw me off. I think they should have been slowly, but constantly panned around the room. Or maybe just from a different area or the room every time. I suppose some would call that "novelty" surround, but that's what I would have preferred.

When the Strawberry Fields track began I was a little disappionted as I love the original mix and that's what I was looking forward to hearing in 5.1. But as the song went on and I started hearing more and more of the original mix, I loved the way it seemed to build up from nothing! I was hoping for the same thing from While My Guitar Gently Weeps, but no such luck. I'm sorry, but a song about a guitar weeping, without a guitar, just isn't the same to me. I have to disagree with the Martins on that one. I Am the Walrus was everything I had hoped for, and Lady Madonna is quite possibly better than the original. Don't get upset with me, I said possibly! And I loved the bass in Within You Without You/ Tomorrow Never Knows. A pleasant suprise for sure!

Aside from what I mentioned above, there are a few other things that bother me... A few times throughout the disc it felt like they were trying to see how many song snippets they could cram in to one. It just made things too busy. Also, there are a few places where the parts of other songs they used sounded out of key and very distracting. Like they just didn't fit. I guess that's what they were going for(??), but I could have done without it.

It's very hard for me to NOT give this a 10. If it had been the originals remixed with only a little tweeking, I would have given it an 11. But for the fact that there are some areas that I find distracting, and that I think Giles Martin tried a little too hard on the "Beatles in a blender" segments (with 10 to 15 different songs crammed into 30 seconds of disc), I'm going to have to give this one a 9. I'd give it a 9.5 if it were possible, but not a perfect 10.

Last edited:
... I was hoping for the same thing from While My Guitar Gently Weeps, but no such luck. I'm sorry, but a song about a guitar weeping, without the awesome slide guitar (or any guitar for that matter!) just isn't the same to me. I have to disagree with the Martins on that one.
yep zepguy. the lack of guitar on WMGGW is one piece i really miss as well. Love the rest though.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps, but no such luck. I'm sorry, but a song about a guitar weeping, without the awesome slide guitar (or any guitar for that matter!)

What slide guitar? There was never any slide guitar on any version of Weeps. Clapton played the lead straight.

It's amazing that so many think this disc is audio nirvana, yet there are a few that think it sounds crappy. I wonder if there are some discs that were mastered improperly? :confused:

we know there is an authoring issue with the layer change being less than perfect. That brings my score down by one. Although from a music standpoint its a definit 10 shame there is not a bit more on the disc like a flaming lips disc.!!!

What slide guitar? There was never any slide guitar on any version of Weeps. Clapton played the lead straight.

I stand corrected Daved64. All these years I assumed it was a slide guitar. After initially thinking you were insane....I gave it a close listen and I don't believe there is a slide there at all. It does sound like there is a bit of tremolo use possibly (I haven't seen Clapton use one in a live version, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything) but definitely no slide on the original.

Good call! :phones

It's amazing that so many think this disc is audio nirvana, yet there are a few that think it sounds crappy. I wonder if there are some discs that were mastered improperly? :confused:

It really just shows how difficult it is to "tune" and match a 5.1 channel system. The disc doesn't make it easier since the vocals are many times stand-alone in the center channel. So, if the center doesn't match the fronts the disc might sound funny. The LFE is also used extensively, so any (uncorrected) standing waves are going to cause some bass frequencies to peak and others to lessen. It really is a great test disc as well as great music (IMHO, of course).

I know someone with a dedicated theater room and "Love" easily pointed out that the LFE was quite tuned right. However, once everything is setup it is a very rewarding audio experience.

Recently I also found that the movie "Cars" is excellent at matching timbre between the front speakers. There are a lot of dialog that pan across the front channels.

Andy

I stand corrected Daved64. All these years I assumed it was a slide guitar. After initially thinking you were insane....I gave it a close listen and I don't believe there is a slide there at all. It does sound like there is a bit of tremolo use possibly (I haven't seen Clapton use one in a live version, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything) but definitely no slide on the original.

Good call! :phones

They futzed with it a bit, like they did with a lot of the White Album, to give it, as Clapton called it, that Beatles "wobble". If you ever get a chance, read Mark Lewisohn's excellent book The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions. Tells you all about every session.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Beat..._bbs_sr_2/103-5684925-3226235?ie=UTF8&s=books

I stand corrected Daved64. All these years I assumed it was a slide guitar. After initially thinking you were insane....I gave it a close listen and I don't believe there is a slide there at all. Good call! :phones

Please don't rule out the fact that most of us ARE insane though. It is the one thing most of us have in common. :D Mike.

Please don't rule out the fact that most of us ARE insane though. It is the one thing most of us have in common. :D Mike.

Right!:D It's my gift, and my curse. I do have this retarded encylopedic music brain that I have to reign in sometimes because it gets embarrasing. When I say something like " I prefer Bob Clearmoutain's mixing over Chris Lord Alge's because of his restrained use of compression" at the dinner table, the blank stares are pretty funny!

Back to LOVE....I bought a new center channel, and the improvement is pretty startling. Love sounds a lot better now, but I still hear this slight "glaze" to the sound that I think is a Tim Young mastering trademark. I have 2 vinyl copies of ELO's Out Of The Blue....one done by Young and one by Stan Ricker. The Young copy has the same "glaze" that I hear on Love. The Ricker one is much cleaner and dryer sounding.

Right!:D It's my gift, and my curse. I do have this retarded encylopedic music brain that I have to reign in sometimes because it gets embarrasing. When I say something like " I prefer Bob Clearmoutain's mixing over Chris Lord Alge's because of his restrained use of compression" at the dinner table, the blank stares are pretty funny!

Back to LOVE....I bought a new center channel, and the improvement is pretty startling. Love sounds a lot better now, but I still hear this slight "glaze" to the sound that I think is a Tim Young mastering trademark. I have 2 vinyl copies of ELO's Out Of The Blue....one done by Young and one by Stan Ricker. The Young copy has the same "glaze" that I hear on Love. The Ricker one is much cleaner and dryer sounding.

Sorry to butt-in - since center channel setup is becoming my curse :)

Can you describe the "glaze" a bit more? Is it like the vocals are focused?

I went through four centers before I finally found one that matched the full range speakers.

Make sure the distance measurement for the DVD-Audio (whether it is in the DVD-A player or in the receiver) is accurate for the center. The other thing with Love that I should have mentioned earlier is that the surrounds sometimes reinforce the center. So, if the surround measurements are off they could effect the clarity of the vocals. Just another way this is an excellent test disc.

Andy

Can you describe the "glaze" a bit more? Is it like the vocals are focused?

Andy

The glaze I refer to is just this sort of veil over the sound, like it's un-natural sounding. I only hear it on a few things like Love, that ELO album I mentioned, and The Thorns SACD, which sounds more like a mud facial than a glaze!:mad:

The glaze I refer to is just this sort of veil over the sound, like it's un-natural sounding. I only hear it on a few things like Love, that ELO album I mentioned, and The Thorns SACD, which sounds more like a mud facial than a glaze!:mad:

It is (of course) difficult to analyze based on a description of sound, but...have you checked the phase between the surround speakers and the center (or all of the fronts)? It almost sounds like there is something causing a cancellation effect. A good experiment would be to try to reverse the + and - on your new center channel and see if that is better or worse. If that doesn't help (or makes things worse), return the center channel to the correct polarity and try with both (at the same time) surround speakers.

The Love vocals are excellent tests for center / surround mismatches.

Andy

It is (of course) difficult to analyze based on a description of sound, but...have you checked the phase between the surround speakers and the center (or all of the fronts)? It almost sounds like there is something causing a cancellation effect. A good experiment would be to try to reverse the + and - on your new center channel and see if that is better or worse. If that doesn't help (or makes things worse), return the center channel to the correct polarity and try with both (at the same time) surround speakers.

The Love vocals are excellent tests for center / surround mismatches.

Andy

:D Umm.....everything is fine. Last night I was playing plenty of "unglazed" stuff. If at this stage in my hi fi life, if I have the polarities wrong....kill me!

To my delight I am finding that this stuff sounds best when cranked. It's great to fill my listening room to the max with the tunes on Love. It's probably because I've never been able to play a Beatle tune that loud and have it hold together. Of course that's true of any dvd-audio music but in this case it's the music I love best. O C'mon!!

Jon I think this could well be the case.
I just received the 4 track Love cd promo sampler that capitol records put out and it is not only sounds better than my normal cd, but it also sounds better than my 5.1 dvda!! go figure??

:D Umm.....everything is fine. Last night I was playing plenty of "unglazed" stuff. If at this stage in my hi fi life, if I have the polarities wrong....kill me!

Dave, didn't mean to imply you had the polarities wrong. I really was thinking of the speaker manufacturer. There isn't a "standard" of which way the + should drive the drivers.

Andy

Back