4-channel converted to DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Lindgren

I have a couple of 4-channel recordings from the 70's that has been converted to DVD-A. The problem is that the 4 channels have been
conrted to what they are i.e. FR, FL, RR, RL and DVD-A reqires a center and also a dedicated bass channel, the .1. When played through my DVD-A system there is absolutely no bass at all since my speakers are small ones with a subwoofer that is not fed with anything from the amplifier. I guess there is nothing to do about it since my recordings have been converted to 4.0 sound? For those in DTS there is no problem since that sound is in it's digital form to the amplifier and not analogue as the DVD-A sound. Is this just a fact, or is there anything I can do about it???

Mats

DVD-A *doesn't* require a Bass channel (.1). What you need to do is to set up your dvd-a player or the amplifier or both (depends on the configuration) and tell them "no center channel", speaker "small" thus enabling the routing of the bass frequencies to the sub.
If the dvd-a player is conneced with 4 analog out (fl fr rl rr) at a "direct 5.1 in" on the receiver you must set up the dvd-a player as described above..

The DVD-A format itself doesn't require there to be audio for all 5.1 channels, which is why you have a 4.0 DVD-A made from a 4.0 source. So your center channel should be silent, anything that would go there would have to be artificially created and would most likely negatively impact the original 4 channel mix.

To fix the bass problem, your best option would be to set your system to automatically feed low frequencies from all other channels to your sub. There should be some sort of bass management setting that you can turn on. If you could find that and turn that on, that should fix your bass issues.

Back