4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, yes I'm using that laboratory setup because
I bought the 7.1. used and later discovered that the center and sub channels have issues (click and pop) It's been a cheap test bench but really just need to save up and get a good working 7.2 or 9.2 sys. (Lighten my load)
I'm on the hunt.

Stay cool Prof.

Awesome, yes I'm using that laboratory setup because
I bought the 7.1. used and later discovered that the center and sub channels have issues (click and pop) It's been a cheap test bench but really just need to save up and get a good working 7.2 or 9.2 sys. (Lighten my load)
I'm on the hunt.

Stay cool Prof.
A friend suggested, and I implemented, using a pc for Atmos playback. At the time I just had a 5.1.2 capable AVR, but by using two AVR's and the ASIO4ALL driver I was able to link the two for playback in Windows. Only problem was/is, for Atmos playback one has to use the Dolby Reference Player.
Eventually last year I bought an AVR that processes 11 channels/amps 9 so I pre out some channels to the old analog input AVR.

Anyway, welcome again to QQ. A lot of smart people here about a variety of things equipment or multichannel wise including vintage Quad rigs.

A friend suggested, and I implemented, using a pc for Atmos playback. At the time I just had a 5.1.2 capable AVR, but by using two AVR's and the ASIO4ALL driver I was able to link the two for playback in Windows. Only problem was/is, for Atmos playback one has to use the Dolby Reference Player.
Eventually last year I bought an AVR that processes 11 channels/amps 9 so I pre out some channels to the old analog input AVR.

Anyway, welcome again to QQ. A lot of smart people here about a variety of things equipment or multichannel wise including vintage Quad rigs.
Yes I am discovering here that I'm not all alone in the quest for good sound.
I use the ASIO4ALL driver to interface Win/PC with Guitar Rig i/o, love it, never occurred to me using it on the Frankensystem? Another big rabbit hole, like on NLE video editing suites and Data Acquisition systems (Lost a lot of sleep helping to pioneer that kind of work in the Oil Drilling Industry :)
and miss all of that like a chapped behind...Not. :)

Thanks for getting my ole nogg"n jogg'n again.
Pretty cool.

Maybe we can get a mod to move posts #3,339 - #3,343 to a forum thread where more people are able to help with the "hardware" issue being faced?

Correct, another release where the quad mix is superior to the 5.1 mix. I'm hoping they release ZZ Top Tres Hombres, the best discrete quad mix I've heard.
Hell, if they can't find the darn quad mixed master, then I would settle form a nice 5.1 mix that has the same separation discreet speakers slamming out this slab of Texas combo plate perfection. - if they can at least locate the multis.

If you are near Encinitas California, you can stop in Lou's Records and buy the quadio discs. They had 3 of the 4 in a display on the counter.
Hey, I made a sale today. Was in Lou's browsing and a guy was looking at the Gordon Lightfoot Quadio. He didn't know how to play it and Lou was trying to explain. I inserted myself in the conversation and "helped". Could he play it in his car? If you have a blu-ray in the car. He had no surround capability. It has stereo mix. Anyway he liked that GL recording and went ahead and bought the Quadio. I'm sure he will like it, one of my fave's.

Last edited:
My disc will only play in stereo (Oppo 103D/ Denon AVR X2500H) Never had this problem before with any other surround discs in my collection I'm a little bit disppointed. Looks like I'll just have to stick with the dodgy 5.1 mix in the three disc set and the Quad vinyl rip done by he who shall not be mentioned.

My disc will only play in stereo (Oppo 103D/ Denon AVR X2500H) Never had this problem before with any other surround discs in my collection I'm a little bit disppointed. Looks like I'll just have to stick with the dodgy 5.1 mix in the three disc set and the Quad vinyl rip done by he who shall not be mentioned.
The back (surround) channels are encoded as side on these releases. That might be your problem. My Oppo is set up for front and side speakers as front and back didn't work. I'm using the analogue outputs. If you rip the files from the disc you can reassign SL and SR to BL and BR.

Or more likely you simply might just have to add digital silent center and lfe channels to your ripped files. The Denon might not be recognizing 4.0 and just outputting as stereo.

The back (surround) channels are encoded as side on these releases. That might be your problem. My Oppo is set up for front and side speakers as front and back didn't work. I'm using the analogue outputs. If you rip the files from the disc you can reassign SL and SR to BL and BR.

Or more likely you simply might just have to add digital silent center and lfe channels to your ripped files. The Denon might not be recognizing 4.0 and just outputting as stereo.
My Sony x800 actually drops the surround channels of 4.0. So, I only hear the front half of the mix.
Kinda interesting, but obviously unideal!
My OPPO BDP103 does fine. My system has surrounds and backs.

My Sony x800 actually drops the surround channels of 4.0. So, I only hear the front half of the mix.
same here! Sony drops but Oppo is flawless.
Isn't it a function of both the disc player and the AVR?

I think it may have to do with your AVR’s chip as my X800 plays 4.0 fine, although I’m equipped for 5.1

I had the same problem on my Sony until i went into the Setup menu on the home screen (it's the toolbox icon in the upper righthand corner). Once into Setup, i went to Audio Settings. The third option down on that screen is BD Audio MIX Setting. I turned that to off, and i get all four channels now! Let me know if that works for you . . . Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Last edited:
I had the same problem on my Sony until i went into the Setup menu on the home screen (it's the toolbox icon in the upper righthand corner). Once into Setup, i went to Audio Settings. The third option down on that screen is BD Audio MIX Setting. I turned that to off, and i get all four channels now! Let me know if that works for you . . . Stay Surrounded, Comrade!
Thanks Comrade!!

Already had that setting to off. This is one of the few flaws to this player...and the freeze ups when playing a movie is the other.

Sony.jpg

Thanks Comrade!!

Already had that setting to off. This is one of the few flaws to this player...and the freeze ups when playing a movie is the other.

View attachment 100168
Here's my screen. Maybe it's the DSD Output Mode (mine is set to Off)? Let me know if that works! My Mingus disc was sounding so odd until i turned the BD Audio Mix Setting to Off, and then it sounded just like on my Oppo . . . but maybe i also changed the DSD Output Mode! Ah, i love getting old . . .
Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 10.15.43 PM.png

Here's my screen. Maybe it's the DSD Output Mode (mine is set to Off)? Let me know if that works! My Mingus disc was sounding so odd until i turned the BD Audio Mix Setting to Off, and then it sounded just like on my Oppo . . . but maybe i also changed the DSD Output Mode! Ah, i love getting old . . .
View attachment 100172
DSD only comes into play with SACD, not Blu-ray, so that setting should have no effect on Blu-ray playback.

Just bizarre!

View attachment 100172
Are we talking about the Sony X800M2? If, so, my screen is slightly different. "BD Audio Mix Setting" is replaced by "BD Secondary Audio". Do you have the latest firmware? I had the constant freezing problem too until an upgrade a year or more back. Haven't had one since. Also haven't had the audio problems mentioned here.

Back