ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I am on my 27th of 34 track, Dream Theaters The Astonishing, 24/96 stereo download. Very cool, great content, but I need a break man, no ear fatigue, recorded very well, but I just need a break, listen to the rest tomorrow. Lets put on 5.1 Dig.

I especially hope you'll like the "Dig" DVDA from Boz Scaggs. That was a surprise winner for me when I purchased it last year. Solid music with a very solid surround mix from the great Elliot Scheiner. (Which reminds me, I should dig it out again soon!) :)

I LOVE Vanishing Point...it's my favorite song off of that album..."play it straight and play it true my brother...cause you're miles from anywhere...as it happens in the world of shadows..time and distance vanish there"...and of course I love fredblue's Miss Riddle...and then there is King Of El Paso..and hearing those great songs makes me yearn for Silk Degrees in surround...bring Mr. Baseball back and let him perform his magic on this album like he did for Dig..

[video=youtube;65EoK4OelZU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65EoK4OelZU[/video]

I need to get back to digitizing vinyl......got the right equipment. It just takes patience....
Right now, I'm trying my luck at the debut album from Black Sabbath. I have a brand new copy and it sounds excellent. Turned off my sub in an effort to eliminate the rumble factor creeping into the turntable. :) We'll see what happens....

Been listening to Styx Paradise Theater SHM SACD...I say this all the time...but it's true...I don't play this disc enough...I love Snowblind so much..what a song...maybe tonight I'll watch one of the Styx blu ray concerts...I love this one..a really cool concert..

Been listening to Styx Paradise Theater SHM SACD...I say this all the time...but it's true...I don't play this disc enough...I love Snowblind so much..what a song...maybe tonight I'll watch one of the Styx blu ray concerts...I love this one..a really cool concert..

I bought this one as well and LOVE it! Since SpecWeb came out, I've been upmixing the entire Styx catalog... great separation in their recordings! The only one I'm still trying to find a good, uncompressed version of is "Crystal Ball".

Listening to some BOC vinyl....sounds excellent. I was getting quite a bit of rumble. Finally tried something different. Cut some chunks of packing...placed under the feet of the turntable. Perfect. No more rumble. OK, it doesn't look good - but now I know what I need to do and I'll get something better looking.

January%2030%202016.jpg

Listening to U2's The Joshua Tree, stereo RBCD, original non remastered pressing, running from player, analog outs to external DAC, sounds great. Why doesn't U2 make surround? The perfect catalog for surround.

So, I have an external DVD drive hooked up to my laptop. Why can't I put a standard DVD video in there and watch it? I put it in, and nothing happens....

So, I have an external DVD drive hooked up to my laptop. Why can't I put a standard DVD video in there and watch it? I put it in, and nothing happens....
Hey GOS,

If your laptop is running Windows 8 or 10, there is no longer native support for DVD playback included with these versions. :( One solution that seems to be pretty popular is the free VLC Media Player. I can't vouch for that one myself, as I use either JRiver Media Center (costs money) or Media Player Classic Home Cinema (free) to watch video on the PC.

Good luck,

-- Jim

47 years ago today.....the rooftop concert.

Man, that brings back some memories... When Let It Be (the LP, that is) was released in the spring of '70, I was just about to "graduate" from 8th grade. When summer vacation finally arrived, my cousin and I listened to that album on his crappy little portable record player at least once every single day for weeks. Looking back, it was like we didn't want to face the fact that the Beatles were no more - we just couldn't let go. Many seem to regard it as one of their lesser efforts because of the Phil Spector treatment etc, but you sure as hell won't hear that from me.

Man, that brings back some memories... When Let It Be (the LP, that is) was released in the spring of '70, I was just about to "graduate" from 8th grade. When summer vacation finally arrived, my cousin and I listened to that album on his crappy little portable record player at least once every single day for weeks. Looking back, it was like we didn't want to face the fact that the Beatles were no more - we just couldn't let go. Many seem to regard it as one of their lesser efforts because of the Phil Spector treatment etc, but you sure as hell won't hear that from me.

Jim, right on the money. I loved the album Let it Be, the movie and for those who prefer the stripped down, Phil Spectorless version....there's always the Let It Be Naked album.

Wish they'd release the film on BD~V (in 5.1) but there's been some controversy since McCartney always felt Let It Be [the film] portrayed the Beatles in a negative light.

But then again, Time Heals ALL!

Back