Andy Jackson AI AJ Blu-ray 5.1 (no Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks. Just to answer a couple of questions.

5.1 but no atmos - I can do 5.1 at my studio but I need to get into Gilmour's to do atmos, it simply wasn't available as David is doing an album. I could've waited for ever or just do 5.1. One plus is it's 96k.

Did I do my own mixing and mastering - yes of course. I just A/ assume that it's obvious & B/ don't want to have a long list of credits to my name, it seems a bit egocentric. It was more important to me to put the "Natalie op" credit, as that conveys something that was slightly hidden

Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for your support

Andy Jackson
Holy Cow! Thanks for the direct response Andy, how KOOL !!!
Atmos is great but I can live just fine with 5.1. As long as I get surround I'm happy.
Even just Quad would be great. ;)

And David is doing a album?
Hope that means a new David Gilmour album is in the works.
Now that's a great piece of insider info.

Finally got my copy from Burningshed. A pity this release is not available via the usual (and more widespread retailers).
Overall, very interesting work, specially the lead vocals by Natalie 103. @Andy Jackson , what was the process to create them? Really intrigued about how this is done.
Highly recommended to read the background for every song in Andy's blog: http://andyjacksonmusic.com/
P.S.: Andy, pls tell David to finish his record asap so that you can continue mixing in Atmos ;)

One more question: what does the binary code inside the package say? I guess it's ASCII but it's a PITA to decode character by character, I'm getting old!

Finally got my copy from Burningshed. A pity this release is not available via the usual (and more widespread retailers).
Overall, very interesting work, specially the lead vocals by Natalie 103. @Andy Jackson , what was the process to create them? Really intrigued about how this is done.
Highly recommended to read the background for every song in Andy's blog: http://andyjacksonmusic.com/
P.S.: Andy, pls tell David to finish his record asap so that you can continue mixing in Atmos ;)
Natalie is one of the available voices for Synthesizer V, a vocal synthesis piece of software. There are demos online about how it works. Essentially it's a mini - DAW, either standalone or 'nested' in another DAW (pro tools for instance) as a VST plug in. At the first instance, you have to input notes, either by playing them in via MIDI or by drawing them on the time line, then define what the words are (highlight them and enter in a dialogue box). That's it at a basic level. It just sings them. You can edit all sorts of qualities about the voice & notes (tonality, pitch bend and vibrato etc etc) either globally or dynamically via little graphical 'lanes'.

In my case, I just messed around until I got what I liked, I'd like to say there was some rhyme or reason, but it was just reacting and correcting in an iterative way.

The entire album came about from discovering these artificial voices. I came across the demo (thanks to Damon who found it) and thought wow, this is really close. What if I made the 'bugs' into features, and made it overtly an AI singing about being an AI. This was pretty much as Chat GPT 3.5 happened, and everybody was exploring its weirdness. That wrote half the lyrics for me.

RE DG (I haven't said this!) I understand it's nearly done and an announcement will be made soon, but this is all second hand from Damon. I've not been involved at all, DG's been working with Charlie Andrew as a producer who comes with his own engineer, and I'd said I mostly want to step away anyway (enough already!). I haven't heard any of it, but Damon says it's somewhat different, just by virtue of working with a different producer.

Natalie is one of the available voices for Synthesizer V, a vocal synthesis piece of software. There are demos online about how it works. Essentially it's a mini - DAW, either standalone or 'nested' in another DAW (pro tools for instance) as a VST plug in. At the first instance, you have to input notes, either by playing them in via MIDI or by drawing them on the time line, then define what the words are (highlight them and enter in a dialogue box). That's it at a basic level. It just sings them. You can edit all sorts of qualities about the voice & notes (tonality, pitch bend and vibrato etc etc) either globally or dynamically via little graphical 'lanes'.

In my case, I just messed around until I got what I liked, I'd like to say there was some rhyme or reason, but it was just reacting and correcting in an iterative way.

The entire album came about from discovering these artificial voices. I came across the demo (thanks to Damon who found it) and thought wow, this is really close. What if I made the 'bugs' into features, and made it overtly an AI singing about being an AI. This was pretty much as Chat GPT 3.5 happened, and everybody was exploring its weirdness. That wrote half the lyrics for me.

RE DG (I haven't said this!) I understand it's nearly done and an announcement will be made soon, but this is all second hand from Damon. I've not been involved at all, DG's been working with Charlie Andrew as a producer who comes with his own engineer, and I'd said I mostly want to step away anyway (enough already!). I haven't heard any of it, but Damon says it's somewhat different, just by virtue of working with a different producer.
Thanks for the long explanation. I listened first to the album in Apple Music and after one minute and one WTF is this, I abandoned it.
I finally purchased the Blu-ray and don't know why, but it quickly clicked. So much that I listened to it twice in a row. It's definitely a weird sounding record, there's someone off about it that may well be the artificial voice,.but even focusing on it and trying to find out what makes it strange, I could not distinguish it from a real voice (I'm not a musician at all).

Thanks for the DG update. Don't know, not having you onboard on the mixing desk makes me feel a bit scared about the final result. Really hope the new producer and the mixer are keen on surrounding mixes and produce something of high quality. At least with you in command we could like or dislike the music, but we knew in advance the mix was going to be superb. It's not flattering, but you have created some of the best mixes I've ever heard. Big thanks for that.

In the end, did I tell you how much I enjoyed this album, a ton.
I'm not sure what AI singing bodes for the future of performers, but the results here are incredible.
Cheers

Back