Basic buying info

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obbop

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
A general tip for those that may have not considered this, especially when buying on-line goodies.

Some electronic components use various types of connectors. I have noticed that some surround processors, including one make/model of the Circle Surround 2 variety, uses a funky type of connector unlike that typically seen with home audio. I believe it was a Gemini brand designed for dee jay-type folks that use those fancy connectors with multiple pins on one cable. Buying one of those could present problems for the non-tech-type home user.

Also, consider that some components, especially the cheaper older ones, use RCA plugs for speaker connection vice the screw or "push in" terminals most better units have. Converting the hook-up is not insurmountable but does add a bit to complexity by requiring jury-rigging or a trip to Radio Shack for hardware to allow connections.

Basically, you may want to ensure you know what type/style/etc hookups are on the unit you are considering buying.... it may save hassels later.

This advice brought to you by the letter "C" and the number 9 number 9 number 9 number 9

Alas... with the apparent death of brick and mortar Radio Shack outlets it has become increasingly difficult to obtain electronic/electrical hardware basics.

I, the Disgruntled Old Coot, recommend buying the patch cords, RCA "banana-plug connects and cords or whatever you label them at the thrift store when you see them in the plastic tub of electrical odds and ends. As rarity increases prices soar. Wal-Mart has a limited supply and are costly. Grab as many at the thrift store as possible. With time, their value will rise and your hoard may increase your wealth substantially. Perhaps your stash will turn out to be more profitable than the gold, silver and copper hoarded by the wealthy elites!!! Well, not in actual dollar numbers but percentage-wise you may leave those greedy gluttons in the dust.

Then there's the Blu-ray stuff I never got involved with and my limited mental capacity, dusty mental archives and severe lack of interest leaves me oblivious to all that is involved with that new-fangled stuff. Perhaps your box of cords may appear at Antiques Road Show some decade leaving folks baffled until the expert appears and marvels at the find and praises your ancestors for their wisdom of hoarding the valuable items now deemed a "national treasure" and, at auction, will bring vast riches to the owner of the prized objects.

Never know what will happen.

Nice! 16+ years later and we get a reply to Obbop's original thread - by HIM!!

So nice to see you stop by Sir!

For those that don't know, Obbop has a great blog:

https://quadraphonicaudio.wordpress.com/
.............and is a wealth of information about vintage quad. Please check it out when you have a chance.

As one Disgruntled Old Coot to another, I'm always happy when he (and the other old coots) stop and check in at QQ.

Back