Beatles 1+ Blu-Ray / DVD 5.1-channel surround audio on Nov 6, 2015

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what that means, but there's a bit of "she loves you" at the end, which I didn't pick up on before. Not that I've heard these songs zillions of times, like some, I'm sure. A handful of times?
Just sayin' these mixes have me hearing different things. :)

Even The Rutles parody of All You Need Is Love (called Love Life) includes a parody of when The Beatles sing the line from She Loves You at the end of All You Need Is Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXbUYEsEsPU

Listen at about 2:20 into the song.

Even The Rutles parody of All You Need Is Love (called Love Life) includes a parody of when The Beatles sing the line from She Loves You at the end of All You Need Is Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXbUYEsEsPU

Listen at about 2:20 into the song.

Thanks! Never heard of The Rutles before.
"Hold my hand... yeah, yeah..." lol

Come to think of it, the vast majority of times I've heard any song from MMT, I probably didn't even know about the existence of "She Loves You" or any early song, except maybe "Twist and Shout"?
So it would have been hard to know if a certain snippet of vocal was a reference.

Did you know that according to the 1+ booklet part of All You Need is Love has been edited out due to copyright reasons in some countries? I haven't had time yet to confirm.

Andy

400+ posts from me too but I've yet to be invited into the club. :(

Don't feel bad, the "club" is a default title that fills in automatically if you do not have a custom user title.

You (rontoon) have entered a custom user title in your forum profile ('Floydian Achivist'), so you will never see a 'club' title.

I have just brought a copy of the blu ray
And was not expecting a lot but after I had played it
I found it very good a few of the very early tracks
were mono in front with ambiance in the rears
but there were some good stereo and ambiance tracks
and the newer tracks had a good surround
I wonder if some of the worst reviews were played with small speakers in rear
I think is a good buy

YOU NEED ALL SPEAKERS TO BE THE SAME to get the best results

Probably? Most sound pretty damn good to me, especially when you get past the first few LPs.

Indeed the older tracks sound much worse than their 2009 remastered incarnation. There is an awful pumping compression accross the board that is very noticeable to my ears, especially on the mono tracks.
The balance of most other remixes has no feel and the sound is etched, bawling, no dynamics are retained from the original individual performances. It's pretty weird and sometimes even irritating to my ears.
I only listened to the stereo CD on headphones, from a friend's copy. Maybe I have heard a bad copy, maybe I expected a more vintage, lush, organic sound. I'm surprised not many people seem to have picked up these "problems".

I wonder if some of the worst reviews were played with small speakers in rear. I think is a good buy

YOU NEED ALL SPEAKERS TO BE THE SAME to get the best results

I agree with you. My surrounds as well as the fronts are big tower speakers. So last night while listening to Let It Be, I was able to crank up the surrounds by 9dB and the rears by 3dB. The result was a wonderful immersive sound with the "choir" coming from all around. But applying the same treatment to I Feel Fine gave the effect of being inside of a big steel tank. With this package, I find myself adjusting the surround volumes and tone controls depending on the song. I don't have to do that with Love.

Indeed the older tracks sound much worse than their 2009 remastered incarnation. There is an awful pumping compression accross the board that is very noticeable to my ears, especially on the mono tracks.
The balance of most other remixes has no feel and the sound is etched, bawling, no dynamics are retained from the original individual performances. It's pretty weird and sometimes even irritating to my ears.
I only listened to the stereo CD on headphones, from a friend's copy. Maybe I have heard a bad copy, maybe I expected a more vintage, lush, organic sound. I'm surprised not many people seem to have picked up these "problems".

It might be because there have been so many surround/hi rez releases that the CD hasn't been played by a lot of people...I bought THIS almost a year ago and I've not listened to the whole thing yet...it's based on the 2009 master but is a SHM-CD version...I wanted to compare it to the standard version...but I haven't had a chance to do it yet....and in the next 2 weeks we will have Idlewild South...Tusk...Once Upon a Time...Too Old To Rock N Roll...I just got the Loaded set a few days ago...so that CD is a very low priority for me...I'm just trying to keep up with the surround titles:music...which is a GREAT problem to have:)

I recommend listening to the CD with faux car surround and plenty of road noise. You won't hear the compression then!!! :mad:@:
But seriously, given my listening environment I'm not hearing the same issues you are, but I did finally get to "Come Together" and the bass is kind of overblown, whereas the bass on everything else sounded legit.
Tonight I listen to/watch the DVD with mum and Mrs. B. I think we're gonna stick with stereo though PLIIX to avoid the reported LFE issues. Hopefully the DVD stereo options sounds cool.
I wonder what the resolution is?

Tonight I listen to/watch the DVD with mum and Mrs. B. I think we're gonna stick with stereo though PLIIX to avoid the reported LFE issues. Hopefully the DVD stereo options sounds cool.
I wonder what the resolution is?

I have read the DVD stereo tracks are 16bit/48kHz PCM.

I have read the DVD stereo tracks are 16bit/48kHz PCM.

Just took a look at the 2-channel Twist and Shout - 96/24. I have not looked at the AC3 (Dolby Digital) track yet. I wonder if the mix is any different on that track? (I doubt it).

Don't badmouth those late-era, super-compressed redbook CD's. They make great woodpecker repellent. Just hang them from your gutters to keep the birds from drumming on the wood siding of your house.

Watched the single DVD with mum and Mrs. B last night.
It was a very cool experience, though a tad underwhelming.
The stereo presentation was very, very good.
A problem for everybody in the room was that we didn't really like the songs until the Help! album.
The use of live audio for many of the earliest tracks is fun and historical, but they didn't sound all that great. I appreciate they must have been cleaned up a LOT though.
It was a privilege to see all that material. I look forward to testing out the 5.1 DTS soundtrack to see if it's as crazy (LFE wonkiness) as has been described.

Just took a look at the 2-channel Twist and Shout - 96/24. I have not looked at the AC3 (Dolby Digital) track yet. I wonder if the mix is any different on that track? (I doubt it).
You must be playing the Blu-ray, not the DVD.

The worst offender is "She Loves You" which was remastered from the same digital file/tape that produced the 2009 versions (yes, versions - the stereo and mono "Past Masters" CDs mastered the same mono file/tape differently). I never realized how distorted that recording is until I heard the new "1" version. Going back to the orignal 1980s CD and the "Capitol Albums" box set, I can hear that the distortion has been there all along. Here is a picture of the three .wav files (the 2009 versions were normalized for comparrison purposes).

shelovesyou.jpg

You must be playing the Blu-ray, not the DVD.

My mistake - I didn't read your comment close enough. Very sorry about that.

I believe you are correct - 48/16 for compatibility with early DVD players and to reduce disc usage.

Andy

The worst offender is "She Loves You" which was remastered from the same digital file/tape that produced the 2009 versions (yes, versions - the stereo and mono "Past Masters" CDs mastered the same mono file/tape differently). I never realized how distorted that recording is until I heard the new "1" version. Going back to the orignal 1980s CD and the "Capitol Albums" box set, I can hear that the distortion has been there all along. Here is a picture of the three .wav files (the 2009 versions were normalized for comparrison purposes).

See if you can count the edits in She Loves You. I've always suspected that the reason the twin-track masters are no longer with us is that they were chopped to pieces with a razor blade to make the master tape. If the cymbals had been recorded the same I'm not sure the edits would be as obvious.

But, to be fair, the folks at EMI in 1963 probably would never have believed we would be listening to the song 50+ years later.

By the way, the front left and front right channels for most of the songs on the 5.1-channel mix of the Blu-Ray look very similar in compression to what you showed for She Loves You.

Andy

I finally played it all the way through last night. The DVD that is. I liked that version of Long and Winding Rd. quite a bit better than others I've heard.

And what's the deal with Get Back on the rooftop. They seemed to have pasted over a studio version of Get Back. I'd have preferred the original sound as recorded that day.

I finally played it all the way through last night. The DVD that is. I liked that version of Long and Winding Rd. quite a bit better than others I've heard.

And what's the deal with Get Back on the rooftop. They seemed to have pasted over a studio version of Get Back. I'd have preferred the original sound as recorded that day.

That I can give you an answer for. The intent of Beatles 1+ on disc 1 was to include the #1 versions. Of course this isn't true with the live versions. And, it isn't true with The Long and Winding Road (for obvious reasons that helped spawn a lawsuit at one time). But, for Get Back they decided to use the released single version which was recorded in the Apple Studio, which is shown on disc #2.

Andy

I just stopped hanging around on Steve's forum because the thread on +1 went to about 12,000 posts of which 11,000 were bitching about the wrong selections, lousy surround and the fact that two measures of a piano overdub on ADITL were missing. Endless squabbling like little children. No the set is not perfect but it is still an amazing value and a historical record. I hope this forum doesn't descend into a similar chaos. The set has been released. All the endless bitching will not convince Apple to recall the set and fix the problems. It is what it is. Get over it.

Back