Beatles 1+ Blu-Ray / DVD 5.1-channel surround audio on Nov 6, 2015

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too, Guy.
I gave it a 10 in the poll.
Hardly anyone has voted.

I imagine it's because folks don't know HOW to vote. Me included.....I've purposely not voted to give me more time to fully absorb the discs. I have found, with time, I like it more. But, I too realize the voting should be more about the sound and content and certainly not about video quality....I don' think. You know.....if Fragile is a 8, 9 or a 10....I just don't know where to go with my vote on this one.

I imagine it's because folks don't know HOW to vote. Me included.....I've purposely not voted to give me more time to fully absorb the discs. I have found, with time, I like it more. But, I too realize the voting should be more about the sound and content and certainly not about video quality....I don' think. You know.....if Fragile is a 8, 9 or a 10....I just don't know where to go with my vote on this one.

I would think that from a surround point of view it is a 5 at best. However, the entire package raises this considerably.

I've found that the CD sounds good in the car (ripped it to the iPad... I don't actually play CDs in the car).

I'm a big multi-channel fan but I bought this for the videos and they did a wonderful job with the restoration. The new stereo mix also sounds great. The 5.1 is what it is and it was explained why this approach was taken for the mix. I can live with that.

Sounds like i'm going to have to rip to PC and lower the LFE as mentioned in above thread earlier on. Painstaking as DVD Audio Extractor shows many more tracks than listed on the disc. I'm going to have to rip each track individually to find the 5.1 ones buried amongst the stereo ones....

Target stores have the 2-disk set CD+DVD for $9.99 right now, if you figure the $10 gift card into it. You have to pay $19.99 and use the gift card they give you for your next purchase. Needless to say I picked one up. It's a whopping $24.99 on Amazon.

How did you get the gift card? My local Target did not offer me one.

After a steady stream of buzzkill, my expectations had bottomed out. A week later, I spontaneously put it on and we simply enjoyed the hell out of it! The 5.1 is quite varied in presentation as I read here, but I only felt like I wanted to cut the LFE in maybe 3-4 places. More after I go through it again. As was said by some, the video is amazing and I do appreciate what the intentions were with the audio for this presentation. These are not true album mixes, I get it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a steady stream of buzzkill, my expectations had bottomed out. A week later, I spontaneously put it on and we simply enjoyed the hell out of it! The 5.1 is quite varied in presentation as I read here, but I only felt like I wanted to cut the LFE in maybe 3-4 places. More after I go through it again. As was said by some, the video is amazing and I do appreciate what the intentions were with the audio for this presentation. These are not true album mixes, I get it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the vast majority of the surround mixes aren't demonstration material, that's definitely for sure, but overall this set is much better than many members have made it out to be. Plus, when you put it on, you just can't help but smile, cause it's the Beatles! (or at least that's how it is for me) :)

Listened to this in 2 channel, & 5.1 DTS on a Goldmund system
Lets just say, it's the Beatles; enough said
You want video & musical perfection, look elsewhere; you want the greatest Band ever, with amazing tonal quality; (instruments & vocals, like never before), this is it.
Don't compare it to LOVE; different animal, altogether; it's processed sound; lovely, but not original
Just watch Paul sing The Long & Winding Road, or the band singing Day Tripper; WHEW; crystal clear, & real
On the Goldmund, I'd say the 2 channel is a bit better, 'cause it shows the limitations, of the 5.1 mix
That said, for $17.99; (deepdiscount.com), run, don't walk, & order it IMMEDIATELY
HIGHLY recommended, for any Beatles fanatic.
enjoy!(y):music:worthy

I went in for the 1 CD/1 DVD set. Given I'm only a casual fan and the mastering issues with the 5.1, I'll be happy enough watching 27 videos with stereo enhanced by PLIIx or somethin.
I'm listening to the CD in the car through faux quad. Pretty cool. The cymbals and chimey guitars are in the rear, most else up front.

Am I the only one thinking most tracks on the CD sound awful?

Probably? Most sound pretty damn good to me, especially when you get past the first few LPs.
I'm definitely hearing lots of things I never did before. The strings and brass are laid utterly bare on later songs.
I never knew there was a vocal snippet from "She Loves You" at the end of "All You Need is Love."

I'm not at awful but I would agree the equivalent Yelllow Submarine Songtrack versions sound better. Eleanor Rigby is an excellemt example. But both the Songtrack version and the 1+ CD version sound better than the original stereo version (and probably the original mono). But, the 1+ version doesm't blemd as well as the YS Songtrack version. (IMHO)

Andy

P.S. My 400th Post and I got another star. Remember every time a QQ member gets a star another VW engineer has to be given wings for cheating on emissions tests! I may have that wrong...

P.S. My 400th Post and I got another star. Remember every time a QQ member gets a star another VW engineer has to be given wings for cheating on emissions tests! I may have that wrong...

400+ posts from me too but I've yet to be invited into the club. :(

I never knew there was a vocal snippet from "She Loves You" at the end of "All You Need is Love."

I presume you mean the slow sung vocal, rather than a sample? If so, I'm a bit shocked as it was not buried in the original mix at all.

Back