Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m hoping for a major renovation of the soundtrack for this film.

And if it appears boring make sure to stick with it as the first 20 min. Are painfully dull, next 20 only slightly better and by the 40 min. mark it’s rather great! This is why it gets poor ratings, it was edited poorly so far as pacing. 20 min. just to get it moving a little better is a long time and then 20 more to get rocking.

And the sound was mono and goes out of sync in places because it’s a different take of the song being sync’d. Hope that they can fix that effectively.

Love the film and saw it when I was 10 in the theater.

Last edited:
I wonder if the upcoming 'restored' film on Disney will keep the same 80 minute runtime of/as the original May 1970 release...
Pretty much the same.

During the bit where Ringo and Paul are playing the piano, the restauration team has inserted Christopher Walken tap dancing next to the piano.

Last edited:
I wonder if the upcoming 'restored' film on Disney will keep the same 80 minute runtime of/as the original May 1970 release...

According to SDE news -

…this is the exact same cut as what was released in 1970. No new edits or extra sequences or anything like that. There is no word on any physical release, and we still have no idea if Peter Jackson’s wish to put out a longer ‘director’s cut’ version of Get Back is a pipe dream or not.

It's currently back down to £41.94. Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09CRTQ9N5

I watched the 80 minute movie last night on Disney+. Great fun...
I just finished watching it.. for the first time EVER. I enjoyed it but can't figure out why there was such negativity surrounding it for so many years. All I saw was the Beatles playing their songs in the studio and then playing some of them live on the rooftop. I thought the whole thing was underwhelming, nice but just a bunch of musicians playing their songs.

I enjoyed it but can't figure out why there was such negativity surrounding it for so many years...
I guess you have to try and place yourself back in the time when the film was first released, ie: May 1970. Everything they did was huge news over their 7 year career and all four of them were still in their twenties.

Back in September 1969 John Lennon had already announced that he had left the band, an official statement was released in March 1970 saying the band was over and Paul McCartney issued his own press release in April 1970 to hammer it all home...

With all the aforementioned taking place before the Let It Be album and movie had been released it's got to have contributed to the negativity by fans and critics that there was no possibility of a reconciliation.

Last edited:
I guess you have to try and place yourself back in the time when the film was first released, ie: May 1970. Everything they did was huge news over their 7 year career and all four of them were still in their twenties.

Back in September 1969 John Lennon had already announced that he had left the band, an official statement was released in March 1970 saying the band was over and Paul McCartney issued his own press release in April 1970 to hammer it all home...

With all the aforementioned taking place before the Let It Be album and movie had been released it's got to have contributed to the negativity by fans and critics that there was no possibility of a reconciliation.
That makes total sense. People projected their own view of the current splintering of the band onto their appraisal of the movie itself. I thought the 8 hour "Get Back" back documentary showed a lot more of the negativity and tension than the "Let It Be" movie. As I said, the latter was just The Beatles playing through the tunes. The documentary also showed a lot more of them working through the creation of the various songs. The movie just showed them playing the songs in the studio after they had pretty much been hashed out.

Back when Let it Be (the movie) came out, you have to put yourself in the time. Honestly, the Beatles were a very popular band (obviously), but you rarely saw them or heard anything about what they were doing. There was a blurb in Rolling Stone or Circus now and then, but the media of the day did not follow them like media does to artists today, and this movie was a chance for their many fans (including me) to see the group actually play some tunes and fart around and be musicians. I remember going to see this movie a couple of times when it came out and thinking it was great. The Let it Be album was never a favorite of mine, some great songs, but some mediocre ones (IMHO) as well, but a chance to see the guys at work was very cool.

Today watching it, esp after the long and winding "Get Back" video, it seems like it's just a footnote, but in the time of its release, it really was something to see for a Beatles fan.

And I am so glad they did not edit the video of the Let it Be song performance like they did for the '1' video collection. The film Let it Be version includes Paul's lyric "There will be no sorrow, Let it Be", which is the only time he used that lyric. Every other version is just "speaking words of wisdom", and for the '1' collection, they edited the video so that the "sorrow" line did not appear, replacing it with what appeared on the single.

As many have said, back then the Beatles were everywhere, but there was always a veil, you didn't see them together in anything but a performance. There were no dull moments, no acrimony or anything less than a united front and certainly never going through the drudgery of being musicians working the creative process. By the time the movie came out the Beatles had broken up, and there had been advance press about the delays in the release. The prevailing sense in the public was that the movie was a chronicle of the band breaking up, and you got to watch your dream crumble before your eyes. It was certainly very difficult watching for me as a young fan - here were my heroes, rarely finding the spark, working separately even when they were together, Yoko haunting, John detaching, George tiring of having to claw through Lennon / McCartney for his chances to shine and so on. The rooftop concert was beautiful but it didn't wash away the awful feeling of watching the Beatles disintegrate, knowing that they'd really broken up for good this time.

There wasn't any discussion back then of the grinding schedule they kept, how and why they were brought back together for the Get Back project, or even what the project was and its ridiculous timeline. There are some very fine books that have come out in the last 20-30 years about the Beatles in January 1969, but there was very little in common knowledge back then. The bad feelings the different camps have harbored over the years kept the movie out of circulation after the mid-1980s and I think they all wished it would just go away because none of them had good feelings about how it portrayed the Beatles and they didn't want to revisit all of the bad that happened in front of the cameras. That was the whole reason for Peter Jackson's project, to provide a fuller context that would explain why these things happened and to offer the viewpoint that would be held as new parts of The Canon forevermore that the Get Back sessions weren't the horror we'd all kept in the closet. Mr. Jackson's project was to show that there was creativity, collaboration and good feelings even though their personal growth would inevitably mean they'd have to leave the Beatles and pursue their individual talents and interests.

Don't take Peter Jackson's work as cinema verite. It is deliberate storytelling that uses shorthand and editing and forced perspective to create and sustain this narrative. Many sequences are created with pieces taken from different times during a day, or even from different days and presented as though they were moments happening in the same space of time. Other scenes are presented out of chronological order. Some of that is the limitation of the available footage, but it in every sense is being used to create a narrative that is positive and dramatic, and one that is designed to push against the negativity that the original film left us with. And it was successful in accomplishing that goal.

Back