Beck's Morning Phase....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this on Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/release/14240716-Beck-Morning-Phase

"Quadraphonic," eh? Surely entered by mistake, right?
No earthly way this album was released in quadrophonic form and none of us heard about it. Literally won an album of the year Grammy and quadrophonic was for all intents and purposes a dead format for new commercial mixes at the time. It's only because of Rhino's quadio program that newly created quad mixes are even on the table.

You say "legit", but actually, some tracks were upsampled to 96kHz.
However, in appending the download page of Beck’s Morning Phase (24bit/96kHz, US$17.95) with a note that reads “Tracks 4, 5, 7, 10, 11 contain elements of 48k tracking, mastered in 96/24” you know there’s seriously something amiss.
It's apparently the same mastering (compression and EQing, I mean) as the CD version as well, if anyone was curious.

It's apparently the same mastering (compression and EQing, I mean) as the CD version as well, if anyone was curious.
It's likely that the mastering was done in the analog domain, then recaptured to digital at 96kHz, so there was no "upsampling" involved. Most hi-res downloads of new albums released at the same time as a standard resolution download or CD will use the same mastering, sometimes with a little bit less peak limiting, but usually the same amount.
I just amended the listing to show that it's a stereo release.
There's already a listing for the stereo download, so the one I linked should actually be flagged for deletion.

It's likely that the mastering was done in the analog domain, then recaptured to digital at 96kHz, so there was no "upsampling" involved. Most hi-res downloads of new albums released at the same time as a standard resolution download or CD will use the same mastering, sometimes with a little bit less peak limiting, but usually the same amount.
You can look at the hyperlink, but my impression from the article was that there was no audio above 24 kHz, which is how you can tell it's upsampled.

You can look at the hyperlink, but my impression from the article was that there was no audio above 24 kHz, which is how you can tell it's upsampled.
If there's no content above 24kHz going out of a DAC and into an analog mastering chain, there will be very-little-to-none coming back into the ADC at the end of that chain. It doesn't mean any digital upsampling was ever applied.

When I said legit I was referring to it being offered officially not of its technical lineage. I did not know the details mentioned.

I would say these FLACs certainly sounded better than the album CD to me. Whereas the CD is rather difficult to crank up, the FLACs seemed not to suffer in the same way. I can listen to these without fatigue.

Back