Bjork Lossless Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Afternoon

Mixing Engineer & Artist
I posted about this in 2023 Surround Releases but figured people would want its own thread.
Last night I emailed OLI Records on a whim because...I'm like that and asked about the Bjork lossy 5.1 mixes. This is what I got in response.

The entire Bjork catalogue is being re -mixed and re-mastered for release in all surround sound formats including lossless - the albums will be released individually and as box set
We plan to release next year

:SB

I posted about this in 2023 Surround Releases but figured people would want its own thread.
Last night I emailed OLI Records on a whim because...I'm like that and asked about the Bjork lossy 5.1 mixes. This is what I got in response.

:SB
wow!! 🤩 great job @Mr. Afternoon 💘🥳
please email some more labels on a whim!! 🙏 the results are brilliant! 🤗

If you didn't catch it, they're not just reissuing the 2006 surrounded boxset, it's Bjork's ENTIRE catalogue till date.
Hot dang! I recently went through every main line album of hers, and while I think Vespertine is the peak, and everything after was a little downhill from there, I’m excited to hear Utopia and Biophilia stuff in surround.

The mixes are being done by Bjork's in-house team (Bergur, Heb Kandry, all of the album producers) and Bjork has SEVERAL big projects being released next year, and OLI will let us know more as we get closer to the dates.

:SB You're right, @fredblue, I should REALLY start messaging more companies...

Last edited:
The mixes are being done by Bjork's in-house team (Bergur, Heb Kandry, all of the album producers) and Bjork has SEVERAL big projects being released next year, and OLI will let us know more as we get closer to the dates.

:SB You're right, @fredblue, I should REALLY start messaging more companies...
I believe one of those is a recording of her Cornicopia show, which I recall reading somewhere on here was shot in 4K and recorded with Atmos in mind. Here’s a Rolling Stone review: Björk's 'Cornucopia' Is a Psychedelic Cautionary Tale About the Environment

This is fabulous news! While we wait: remember that in addition to the 5.1 mixes for Debut through Volta, Fossora already has a very interesting streaming Atmos mix from Heba Kadry & Bergur Borisson, the Biophilia Live Blu-Ray includes a (very conservative) 5.1 concert mix, and Vulnicura has an immersive VR edition on the Steam gaming platform.

For anyone who's interested... I started compiling the following list of her studio and soundtrack albums a few years ago: -

[1977] Björk
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[1993] Debut
Wikipedia link
Discogs link
Discogs 'multi-channel' availability link

[1995] Post
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[1997] Homogenic
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2000] Selmasongs [soundtrack]
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2001] Vespertine
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2004] Medúlla
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2005] The Music From Matthew Barney's Drawing Restraint 9 [soundtrack]
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2007] Volta
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2011] Biophilia
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2015] Vulnicura
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2017] Utopia
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2022] Fossora
Wikipedia link
Discogs link
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[2006] Surrounded boxed-set [inc. Debut, Post, Homogenic, Selmasongs (soundtrack), Vespertine, Medúlla, Drawing Restraint 9 (soundtrack)]

Please let me know if I've missed something out.

Cheers

For anyone who's interested... I started compiling the following list of her studio and soundtrack albums a few years ago: -

[1977] Björk
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[1993] Debut
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[1995] Post
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[1997] Homogenic
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2000] Selmasongs [soundtrack]
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2001] Vespertine
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2004] Medúlla
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2005] The Music From Matthew Barney's Drawing Restraint 9 [soundtrack]
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2007] Volta
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2011] Biophilia
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2015] Vulnicura
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2017] Utopia
Wikipedia link
Discogs link

[2022] Fossora
Wikipedia link
Discogs link
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[2006] Surrounded boxed-set [inc. Debut, Post, Homogenic, Selmasongs (soundtrack), Vespertine, Medúlla, Drawing Restraint 9 (soundtrack)]

Please let me know if I've missed something out.

Cheers
I doubt the 1977 Bjork album will get a mix, as it’s largely been disowned by Bjork and really only is available on YouTube these days. It’s an album her mother encouraged her to make at age 12 when a cover she did for a school project made it to the radio.

That being said… if they do go that far back I’d be interested in seeing her punk days in the band KUKL, and dream-pop/art rock from her days in The Sugarcubes (she left The Sugarcubes to make Debut)

Back in the day I paid good money to see 'The Sugacubes' perform in Leicester UK. Way too many noisy students!
I saw them at the Ritz in NYC in the late 80s. Great show. I immediately saw the domineering side player like an Ike Turner. It was clear who the star was no matter how much posturing he did on stage.

Interesting. I had an album or two of hers, definitely a unique and gifted artist. I might be tempted into some of these releases, good music is always welcome in my surround collection even if it's not someone I'll listen to daily.

This is fabulous news! While we wait: remember that in addition to the 5.1 mixes for Debut through Volta, Fossora already has a very interesting streaming Atmos mix from Heba Kadry & Bergur Borisson, the Biophilia Live Blu-Ray includes a (very conservative) 5.1 concert mix, and Vulnicura has an immersive VR edition on the Steam gaming platform.
Does Heba do a lot of Atmos mixing? I’ve only come across her name recently as the mastering engineer decimating the dynamics of new shoegaze albums by the likes of Slowdive, but the lossy Atmos mix of course is dripping with dynamics and sounds so much better downmixed to stereo than the 24/96 official stereo release.

Back