Black Sabbath "Paranoid" CD+DVD/DTS Release October 7th 2008

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is kinda funny. I just came back from my local music shop, and the owner told me that her distributor told her not to bother with it. He said that there were problems with the quality and he has been told to send his stock back. Said that he had pulled several from orders about to ship. I asked her to find out more the next time she talks to him.

This is kinda funny. I just came back from my local music shop, and the owner told me that her distributor told her not to bother with it. He said that there were problems with the quality and he has been told to send his stock back. Said that he had pulled several from orders about to ship. I asked her to find out more the next time she talks to him.

interesting a second edition maybe done properly with a DVDA we can hope !!:(:(:eek:

Was thinking about purchasing this title and after the reviews here... no way. Already have two dvd-a of it that sounds ok.
However, this is the second time that a cd4 LP transfer made its way into "official" release - the other is Tomita - and for both a Quad Reel was done back in the days.
So... why the use of a LP? Heck, for sure QR aren't easy to find and cheap but if the "original quad master" is not found there is at least ONE better source than a LP.

For some reason, people think that an LP will always sound better than tape, regardless of the tape speed, type, Bias, etc.

I'm surprised they bothered to set up a CD-4 demodulating system to capture the LP.

Makes me also wonder who is running these companies? They spend all this money to do the wrong thing, lose face with their public, then spend MORE money to try to fix the problem only to have lost so much money they deem these ventures "not cost effective". Well duh. If they'd do it right in the first place....

Seriously. How hard would it have been to Google "Quadraphonic", log onto this website and ask "Hey guys, I'm so-and-so from such-and-such. What's a good Quad format to convert to an official release?"

ASK the public what they want. Don't TELL them what they want. Is all big business that screwed up? (Don't answer me, sadly, I know the answer)

And it seems to me that society is on a big retro kick. I'm pretty sure folks are tired of the way things are going and want things to be the way they were.
My best friends' wife has a 15-year old half-brother. Really cool kid. Smart as a whip. Got hooked on Rock Band for the Nintundo Wii. He knew I'm into old stuff in general, so he started asking me about bands like The Guess Who, Steve Miller, etc.

I invited him over to my place and after the initial shock of seeing a bunch of shit he'd never seen before (8-tracks, Atari, CED's, ) we went through my music collection and I burnt him a couple CD's. Last time I saw his mom, she was comically cross with me as she had to yell at Brad the other day to "turn down that damn mus...." only to realize the boy is rocking out to Burton Cummings/The Guess Who.

She never thought she'd have to tell her son to turn down music that she LIKED. lol

I'm even turning the younger generations off the crap music of today!

Why does everyone think this release is a needle drop? I finally heard it myself, and I am certain it is just a raw master-reel transfer. There is lots of noise, but it is clearly tape hiss. The hiss is very consistent throughout each entire song, but varies greatly song to song. The sound is not perfect, but it is way too good to be vinyl sourced. I've heard a CD-4 needle drop and the Q8 (the needle drop was flipped R to L for some odd reason), and this release sounds far better than either of those. Run it through a pair of DBX SNR-1s and it sounds really good.

Tim Hunt made a digital transfer of the master tapes, then died and no one bothered to clean up the audio, they just released his unfinished mix. The CD-4 was never released in the UK anyway, so he would have had to go way out of his way to get a copy. Also, isn't CD-4 equipment harder to come by there too? I think it's kind of cool that the raw, unpolished mix got released. Now people can apply NR to their own liking.

I agree with you Blar. I was eventually going to post about how I thought it wasn't nearly as bad as people were saying, but I was afraid people would think there was something wrong with me:eek:;)

Last edited:
Just guessing here, but I have a feeling why this title and other recent surround mixes have been released in DD and/or DTS and not hi-res form: the music labels don't want what is basically the master recording in the hands of the public.....a few of which might upload it onto the net.

Just guessing here, but I have a feeling why this title and other recent surround mixes have been released in DD and/or DTS and not hi-res form: the music labels don't want what is basically the master recording in the hands of the public.....a few of which might upload it onto the net.

That's interesing, I thought the same thing when I found out that Sony was ditching SACD. But if that's true, why did they do it at all? My theory is that they started SACD on purpose to kill DVDA and then planned all along to kill SACD once DVDA was dead in order to, as you say, stop the release of master quality audio.

Sony was the second shooter on the grassy knoll.

You guys are giving the music industry too much credit. The formats died because the industry are greedy and have had no idea on how to market new music/new technology since the dawn of the CD age and the walkman. OK, save the IPod

Almost every new format was insufficiently marketed, over priced and abandoned too early. I am surprised CD players were not abandoned before the format took off.
Hell, I had a player and only four titles (Bob James, Dire Straits (2) and Chicago) for the first year. I didn’t even like Bob James.

If this was the case they wouldn't re-release any vinyl.
In addition if people don't have the master quality then no-one has it, so the CD being uploaded onto the net would be just as much concern as a 24/192 master.

No it's just that the record companies are idiots. They have one chance left to get it right and that's Blu-ray. Neither SACD nor DVD-Audio will work because at least one of the big four record companies will refuse to support it. They are ALL members of the Blu-ray Disc Association now.

If this was the case they wouldn't re-release any vinyl.
In addition if people don't have the master quality then no-one has it, so the CD being uploaded onto the net would be just as much concern as a 24/192 master.

No it's just that the record companies are idiots. They have one chance left to get it right and that's Blu-ray. Neither SACD nor DVD-Audio will work because at least one of the big four record companies will refuse to support it. They are ALL members of the Blu-ray Disc Association now.

I hope you're right, but I don't find your arguments that pursuasive, it's like there's something else wrong here. Vinyl? please, after one play it produces an inferior sound, and so few can play them back to the high quality you're talking about. As to your other point, I think the counterpoint is that who cares if noone else has it. Once the master tape is out,there is really nothing left for the label but to be creative and find new sources (not just release the same old crap). They clearly are not up to that challenge, or just don't care enough.

You guys are giving the music industry too much credit. The formats died because the industry are greedy and have had no idea on how to market new music/new technology since the dawn of the CD age and the walkman. OK, save the IPod

Almost every new format was insufficiently marketed, over priced and abandoned too early. I am surprised CD players were not abandoned before the format took off.
Hell, I had a player and only four titles (Bob James, Dire Straits (2) and Chicago) for the first year. I didn’t even like Bob James.

Absolutely, it smacks of conspiracy theory, and they don't appear capable of doing that with any kind of precision. But it's all quite odd really. just a few short years ago, this was the great hope.

Well we disagree wholeheartedly on the subject of vinyl as I have records that have been in my father's collection looked after for 40 years that still sound better than their CD counterparts as they've always been played with a properly installed high quality stylus. I am of the opinion that the amount of time it takes for a vinyl record to have noticeable degradeable sound is not within my lifetime when maintained properly and at 35 years old I've not seen anything to change that opinion.

In addition in plenty of cases the master quality is still analog tape, so there is no way of getting that into consumer's hands. A DSD-source might be of the same quality, but it's still not the master source. There are also plenty of other devices studios can use to convince average consumers to double dip, like b-sides, additional video footage, unreleased tracks, etc. Neil Young has already shown that he intends not only to put the highest quality tracks he can put into people's hands (24/192 LPCM) but also that they will never have to double dip as any further tracks he's able to uncover and restore, any other footage, etc., will be available to download for free through BD-Live. This only applies to the purchasers of the Blu-ray sets though, but it's one of the things that studios know will be an advantage to the format when they dive in. In addition I fully believe the studios are up to the challenge of finding this extra material and there are tonnes of examples in point - the Bob Marley remasters, the Beatles upcoming stereo and mono remasters, the Pearl Jam Ten in 4 different versions, Oasis re-releasing entire catalogue on vinyl, The Stone Roses 20th Anniversay Edition comes out this August with 4 versions including a 3CD, 3LP, USB, 2 DVD, booklet, paintings, etc., deluxe set, the legacy editions of Billy Joel, etc., etc.

Truth be told the amount of people who will be satisfied with high resolution and/or multi-channel masters are indeed the minority and present very little threat to the record labels, which is why for the most part we seem to be ignored.

Well, overall I have no confidence that they are "up to the challenge" in this regard, but that could be because there has been little or no real good extras for the artists I really care about (pink floyd to name one).

For the big switch to CD (Brothers in Arms anyone ?) I had the media 5 or 6 CDs long before i had the player. So far have not felt the urge to get into Blu Ray though.

Even the ultimate Blu ray collection Neil Youngs is getting mixed reviews because of the lack of completeness, and strange menu screens with too much hidden.

For the big switch to CD (Brothers in Arms anyone ?) I had the media 5 or 6 CDs long before i had the player. So far have not felt the urge to get into Blu Ray though.

I bought the SACD of DOTM in 2003, but was not able to play the SACD layer until the end of last year around NOV 2008 when I finally got an OPPO 980H.

The redbook CD layer on that thing really does stink, though.

With cds, though, back in 88 or 89, I bought a cd player and then started to collect cds. I couldn't stand the thought of buying discs I couldn't play.

Back