bmg club and sacd's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I posted this on Steve Hoffman forum but if anyone here has any of the sacd's from Bmg club that they think are worth picking up please let me know, thanks:

Wonder if anyone can help me out with which sacd's are worth getting from bmg club. I have the Elton John's,Eric Clapton,Derek and Dominoes),Marvin Gaye and Carpentars and have a couple of Bob Dylan's(STC and BOTT). I also picked up only 2 Dvd Audios(Jackson Browne ROE & Flaming Lips TSB)What else is worth getting, I am not a huge classical fan but are any of the classical's worth getting and are they in surround. I perfer getting surround recordings to stereo as the music is so much more defined in surround,if done correctly. I was debating about the 2 Kinks cd's but think they are in stereo only. As well is the Danny Elfman cd any good, is it in surround? Thanks to anyone that can help me out,

I have bought several through BMG or sister YourMusic.com. Danny Elfman is surround, Kinks are stereo only as are some of the Dylans of course.

Sheryl Crow - Globe Sessions, Bob Dylan - Love & Theft may be the only SACD surrounds left IMHO. Depend on what you like; maybe try on-line samples to see if any classical titles float thy boat...

Last time I looked they still had Layla and the other Clapton discs too. I think I've got all of them, though I've never bothered to listen to them. Oh, the Carpenters also falls into the above groups.

Of note, also available on dualdisc- the Bjork releases ( DTS 5.1 but still pretty good stuff), The Pete Townsend/Ronnie Lane "Rough Mix" (DVD - A), Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet" (DVD -A), Diana Krall "Girl In The Other Room (DVD-A), Marvin Gaye Collection (SACD) - all worthwhile IMHO. And if this is your cup of tea, Andreas Wollenweider Dualdisc "Vox" - 5.1 Dolby only but a pretty discrete mix nonetheless.

And they have the Depeche mode CD/DVD combos in DTS. I have several of these as SACDs and they are great. Not sure how the DTS versions compare.

i picked up the two Nine Inch Nails dvd-a dual discs from yourmusic last year. they're still listed as available.

If you're already not aware of it, if you put (SACD) (dualdisc) or (DVD-Audio) into the album title part of the search (include the parentheses), you'll get the full list of each format. It works the same at www.yourmusic.com (which is also owned by BMG).

All of the Elton John SACD titles are surround and outstanding in my opinion. Some of the Bob Dylan titles are surround, some stereo, I can tell you which if you are interested.

Chris

And they have the Depeche mode CD/DVD combos in DTS. I have several of these as SACDs and they are great. Not sure how the DTS versions compare.

I have several of the Depeche Mode SACD/DVD-V sets and a comparison indicates to me that the DVD-V sounds very close to the SACD. Unfortunately the CD/DVD-V sets at yourmusic.com are the ones I already have in SACD but if the others show up at the $6.99 price I am going to get those and save the money.

Chris

I have a couple of the DTS versions and they are very good. I have no DM SACDs to compare them to.

Last edited:
I'd act fast if you want any non classical SACDs from BMG.
The titles available at yourmusic numbered in the mid to high 50's not long ago. Last time I checked it's down to 30

"Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds" is on clearance at BMG Music service. Although I don't think the club has ever called it an SACD, I think it was a single inventory release in 2005 so all inventory should be the SACD, at least mine was. It is $3.98 + $4.78 shipping, pretty darn good for a 2-disc surround SACD. I like to listen to this one at Halloween.

Chris

The SACD's at yourmusic are starting to run out. I had one of the Bob Dylan discs removed from my queue because it was no longer available. Luckily I already had most of them. Get them quickly, while you still can.

The SACD's at yourmusic are starting to run out. I had one of the Bob Dylan discs removed from my queue because it was no longer available. Luckily I already had most of them. Get them quickly, while you still can.

None of the Dylan SACD's remain, but several Elton John SACD's are still available. I agree most will disappear from the service forever very soon.

Chris

It looks like "Layla" is getting a little pricey on eBay... so just yesterday I grabbed one using "Buy It Now" for $16.98 shipped. The one I bought was a BMG disc. Is there any reason to believe the BMG discs are any different?

Back