Budget 4.0/5.1 capable head unit?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Monkey

I'm planning on buying a car next spring. My 12-year-old Miata has served me very well but it's time for something new. So as long as my personal economic situation is still in good shape next spring (when we finish paying off the heat pump and my wife's car), I'm finally going to go get a newer used or even new car. Audio in the Miata is kind of a joke due to the environment but my next car will be a hardtop. I'd like to get a head unit that can at least play DTS CD, and I'm not looking for hi-fi, mid-fi would be fine. And I'll need to keep expenses low.

What is out there that can play (at least) DTS CD on a budget? I'm assuming it will have to be at least a basic DVD head unit. Anybody have experience doing 4.0 on the cheap? Where does the basement start? Sony MEX-DV2000?

Wow, proufo, that seems like a hell of a deal. I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger when I'm 5 or so months away from buying a car, since I don't really know how things will work out. I'll check for that unit around the web when/if the time comes.

The Sony MEX-DV2000 (introduced in late 2006) hovers around the same price but also includes SACD, I lean towards that. Some open box Sony MEX-DV2000s have gone for $125 or less in eBay. I have this as a bookmarked Search to watch.

I was looking at double-DIN units for the CR-V and thought I'd ask here at QQ: do any of the models still available out there do surround with DTS or DVD-Audio discs? It appears Panasonic is out of the car audio business, as I can't find anything on their site anymore. The Sony MEX-DV2000 is still kicking around (in fact, Sony has it on clearance on their own site for $129.95), but it's not clear whether you need an external attachment to play back the discs (or IOW, decode the DTS or DD), and it's single-DIN sized. Even if I could play DVD-A in Dolby Digital or DTS mode (I forgot what's on DVD-A discs in terms of format--mine have been in storage for two years), that would be fine. I'd even find a way to transfer multichannel SACD to a DTS disc if needed.

Surround isn't a huge deal for me but would be a nice extra if I went with a DVD-based head unit. More important is an aux input for my Zune players, and a USB port I could charge it with. Having the WMA 10 Pro codec would also help if I made a few discs for the car--some MP3/WMA-capable players can handle it, but I know some of the car audio systems can't. (I use it on the Zunes.) Too bad none of the decks out there can control the Zune from the dashboard.

I found a company that makes Zune interfaces to factory car stereo systems, but not to aftermarket units. http://www.soundgate.com Seeing that my eyesight is not very good anymore, I will struggle using the Zune in the car, especially the smaller one. I need reading glasses to use them in the house. For now I'll have to make do with an auxiliary input on whatever unit I choose. The surround capabilities are nice, but the Zune hookup is the deal killer for me--there needs to be at least an Aux input (preferably on the back), if not a full-out interface to the head unit that will let me control the Zune.

Back