Creative Labs DDTS-100 Digital Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadfish

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've posted, but I was just wondering....

Has anyone ever used one of these Creative Labs DDTS-100 units in conjunction with a multi channel stereo setup, not a computer?

If so, what are your thoughts, comments, critisism, etc.

Thanks for any and all posts on the subject.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Wow, it just so happens I acquired one of these off EBAY about a month or two ago for $250 I think it was. Sad that that is almost double the original retail price. I found it late in the game. If you look at my list of audio/video equipment, you'll see I have many vintage pieces and some modern discrete decoders as well. However, I lacked a volume control for the whole system since my main amps are a quad Pioneer QX-949 and another Sanyo stereo amp used in mono for my center speaker. Coordination is difficult. So, I saw the DDTS-100 will all of it's great digital and analog inputs. My main purpose of getting the unit was to try it to decode my many stereo dolby encoded surround laserdiscs that I love to play. All I was getting was L+R since I am using an old amp. So, this great little unit hit the spot in two ways, it gave me Pro Logic II on all my stereo sources (even VHS dolby if I care to watch one) that were encoded and also a great way to put everything into one unit with easy switching, a remote control, and a master volume that raises and lowers all 5 of my speakers at once. I love it and wish I had found it a year or two ago. I don't do surround on computers, etc, so most online comments I find on this unit didn't help me much. I had to bite the bullet and hope. In my humble opinion, it sounds great, low noise, and decodes beautifully. No complaints or glitches to note as of now. Hope that helps. Any questions, just ask.

David

Have they stopped making them....because they could have sold a whole lot more if they had ever bothered to sell to people overseas who couldn't buy them locally through Creative Labs.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

David, it sounds like you have almost the same application as I do for this unit. I will try to get one on ebay, too. The current price is about $300. I may have to hold out for it to come down a bit. The single most interesting aspect for me sounds like the ability to decode stereo lps. I have approximately 1700 albums and I love to listen through my Fosgate Model 3A, but it has the old Dolby PL. I woud love to hear the results of PLII and NEO 6.

How would you rate the sound of the Creative's decoding in PLII vs NEO 6? How would you compare the discreteness vs SQ and CD-4?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!

Rick

I have used this unit for some of the NEO:music and PLII music. I think I prefer NEO over PLII. I haven't done a lot of music listening with it. I also have an all in one JVC receiver that has NEO on it also. I used it quite a bit for music. I would say the NEO:music mode surrounds you pretty well, perhaps better than SQ, but maybe not as good as CD-4. I don't think CD-4 would work as intended on the NEO or PLII settings since it really doesn't have the phase shifts that SQ does, CD-4 really is two more discrete channels at a higher frequency that needs to be converted by a CD-4 decoder and high frequency capable stylus. Though I must admit I have not played a CD-4 record and tried PLII or NEO on it. I suspect it would just give a general stereo ambiance in the rear as a stereo LP would, but you are really missing the true rear discrete information on the LP that way, if you don't use a CD-4 demodulator.
Quality wise I would say the DDTS-100 NEO and PLII mode quality is equal to my all in one JVC receiver that has the same modes.
Quad wise, I really love the discrete Q8 tapes and the quad reel to reels, but that are as rare as 3 dollar bills these days. Unless you pay for them on EBAY. I have about a dozen or more I have obtained over the years and archived on quad reel to reel and then sold the Q8's back on EBAY. I also archived my SQ and CD-4 decodings from LPs onto quad reel to reel for safe keeping.

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've posted, but I was just wondering....

Has anyone ever used one of these Creative Labs DDTS-100 units in conjunction with a multi channel stereo setup, not a computer?

If so, what are your thoughts, comments, critisism, etc.

Thanks for any and all posts on the subject.

Rick
Hey Rick. I'm new here. In response to your query, I'm looking to get one of these remotes to control a DDTS-100 decoder. I have a set of the Altec Lansing ADA995 speakers and I'd love to complete the system setup with this remote. I am currently using the ADA995's with my Integra 7.9 receiver via its preamp. The ADA995's absolutely should be paired with the Creative DDTS-100 and the remote that was designed for that decoder. The ADA995's are great with my Integra receiver, but it is my belief that to conserve electric use, I should probably be using the DDTS-100 with my streaming device and tv. I'll post again after completing the setup.

Back