David Bowie Young Americans

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got mine today mailed from china i have held it up to my ear but still can't listen to it.
its pal:mad: :mad: :mad:
I must have over looked this little detail

PAL is a video format, it has nothing to do with the audio. Though, it may be difficult to see the menu...

Wierd, especially since it's a Yamaha. My Yamaha universal (C-750) plays PAL without a hitch. Maybe it's a region coding issue. Oh well, at least you have a way to listen to it.

I ordered a copy from Amazon.com. The description on this particular one claims it is NTSC. It was a preorder for release sometime this week, so we'll see. Hopefully, it'll play as NTSC; but we'll just have to wait and see. If it turns out to just be PAL/Region1, then I'll have to see what the Oppo can do.

Well... Amazon says they just shipped it. I'll be interested to see if I truly do get a version with NTSC and 0 region code like the description said. (I couldn't even find this particular product description yesterday on Amazon, so who knows. Though, I didn't search using the 'product code' so maybe I just missed it.) Should be sometime next week, I suppose.

Received it today. The packaging indicates NTSC and All Region, which must be true since it is playing just fine on my Oppo '981----which currently hasn't been hacked for region coding. This is an Argentina version, or so I assume, since the sticker says made in Argentina. So I'm happy.

It seems there are numerous versions out there, some PAL, some NTSC, some with region coding, some without. (Or so internet descriptions have said.)

I'm just glad to have a copy that works for me and will, hopefully, get time to give it a good listen so that I can vote in the surround polls thread.

Thankfully you're still able to hear it somehow, though, I suppose it's not the ideal.

Honestly, I was still half-expecting to my disc to show up either as PAL and/or with region coding despite the original description----especially given the fact that I didn't see it last time I was at amazon. So I thought maybe they just had it wrong. This worked out really good for me, though.

Maybe if we're lucky a US and/or Canada version will be released shortly? It's pretty bad when they first drop the hi-rez (thinking depeche mode, etc) and now it's as if someone doesn't even think the US/Canada market is interested in surround sound? Well... OK, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. This is just one isolated incident. Moreover, I suppose there's always a chance we do get "Young Americans" in 5.1 over here, but I haven't yet seen it. Maybe they're holding off because Bowie wants to re-release all his albums in the US/Canada in 5.1 as a huge box set? Yeah, I'm dreaming now; but that seems plausible. Of course, it's only a little after 5:00 in the morning and I'm still sleepy.

btw... Ever notice that Trix cereal turns the milk a pinkish color and makes it tastes a bit like Strawberry Qwik?

btw... Ever notice that Trix cereal turns the milk a pinkish color and makes it tastes a bit like Strawberry Qwik?

Yes! Exactly. I believe I documented that between 1966 and 1971...

Perhaps someone can help me out. . .I've checked the threads on this forum about this disc but can't find the answer to my question. Perhaps I missed this discussion:

I just received a very inexpensive copy of this set from BMG Music. It's not a BMG manufactured disc, it has the following UPC: 094635126020, Virgin Records (2007). However, I see no indication that there is a DTS layer on the DVD. I only see the Dolby Digital logo on the back of the set. It does advertise the 5.1 mixes, just no DTS. Above the track listing it only says: "CD & DVD audio only track listing". Was DTS not advertised or do I have a different special edition (it DOES say "Special Edition" on the front)? I haven't broken the seal yet in case I have the wrong version (better resale value).

Can anyone help me out? Thank you very much!
Josh

I just received a very inexpensive copy of this set from BMG Music. It's not a BMG manufactured disc, it has the following UPC: 094635126020, Virgin Records (2007). However, I see no indication that there is a DTS layer on the DVD. I only see the Dolby Digital logo on the back of the set. It does advertise the 5.1 mixes, just no DTS. Above the track listing it only says: "CD & DVD audio only track listing". Was DTS not advertised or do I have a different special edition (it DOES say "Special Edition" on the front)? I haven't broken the seal yet in case I have the wrong version (better resale value).

I have the same one, just checked it and while it doesn't have a DTS logo on the outside, DTS is available from the main menu under "audio options."

Mark Z

That's the one.

Mine has the same UPC and no mention of dts, but it's on there... enjoy.

I have the same one, just checked it and while it doesn't have a DTS logo on the outside, DTS is available from the main menu under "audio options."

Mark Z

Wow, quick response! :) Excellent news, thank you both very much! Looking forward to hearing this! :phones

Josh

Back