David Bowie Young Americans

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil has been speaking of this release for quite some time. I wonder what format it will be?

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=387989

DAVID BOWIE Young Americans (2007 issue UK 2-disc set comprising a 11-track CD album which [originally released in 1975] is an indirect product of many factors; soul music; politics, both personal and public; of downtown New York and uptown Philadelphia, and includes 3 Bonus Recordings 'John, I'm Only Dancing [Again]', 'Who Can I Be Now?' & It's Gonna Be Me [With Strings]' plus BONUS DVD featuring the entire album [remastered in 5.1 surround sound by Tony Visconti] and 2 live performances & interview on the Dick Cavett TV Show) Special Price for Pre-Orders ONLY.
[released 19 March 2007]

Oh, please let it be for real this time around!!! I've enjoyed Tony Visconti's other surround mixes of Bowie's stuff. It's time to finally let the world hear what he was able to do with "Young Americans".

At this point, I'll even be happy with simply DTS. My only concern is that whatever is released be playable on DVD players sold for the USA/Canada market. So, hopefully, we get a US release, too. If not, then I hope the UK version uses NTSC and zero region coding.

Edit: Crap, that CD-Wow link says it's PAL and has region coding. Maybe they're wrong?

I've got it on Pre-Order at Amazon too - and am also hoping that despite the obvious omission of anything about 5.1 in the details that it is in fact the seriously well overdue 5.1 mix.
Roll on Diamond Dogs, Ziggy (A decent mix this time and not the dreadful mess on the SACD), Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters, Low, Heroes, Lodger, hell - the complete catalogue should be done.

I note that the Amazon listing now says the DVD is PAL, but with Region 0 coding. That shouldn't affect the audio playback though, just the video... right? (he asked, hopefully)...

Amazon.com US
http://www.amazon.com/Young-America..._bbs_sr_3/102-3402170-2696937?ie=UTF8&s=music

Product Description
2-disc set comprising a 11-track CD album which [originally released in 1975] is an indirect product of many factors; soul music; politics, both personal and public; of downtown New York and uptown Philadelphia, and includes 3 Bonus Recordings 'John, I'm Only Dancing [Again]', 'Who Can I Be Now?' & It's Gonna Be Me [With Strings].' Also included is a bonus DVD (PAL/Region 0) featuring the entire album [remastered in 5.1 surround sound by Tony Visconti] and two live performances & interview on the Dick Cavett TV Show. EMI. 2007. * Please note you will need an All Code DVD player to view.

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. Young Americans
2. Win
3. Fascination
4. Right
5. Somebody Up There Likes Me
6. Across The Universe
7. Can You Hear Me
8. Fame
9. John, I'm Only Dancing (Again) BONUS TRACK
10. Who Can I Be Now? BONUS TRACK
11. It's Gonna Be Me (With Strings) PREVIOUSLY UNAVAILABLE BONUS TRACK

Disc: 2
1. Young Americans - AUDIO ONLY
2. Win - AUDIO ONLY
3. Fascination - AUDIO ONLY
4. Right - AUDIO ONLY
5. Somebody Up There Likes Me - AUDIO ONLY
6. Across The Universe - AUDIO ONLY
7. Can You Hear Me - AUDIO ONLY
8. Fame - AUDIO ONLY
9. John, I'm Only Dancing (Again) - AUDIO ONLY - BONUS TRACK
10. Who Can I Be Now? - AUDIO ONLY - BONUS TRACK
11. It's Gonna Be Me (With Strings) - AUDIO ONLY
12. 1984 (Live On The Dick Cavett TV Show)
13. Young Americans - (Live On The Dick Cavett TV Show)
14. Dick Cavett Interviews David Bowie

Attachments

• bowie.jpg
    bowie.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
This is going to be awesome.
Shame they didn't also include "Footstompin'" from the Dick Cavett show as well, but to be honest I am just very happy it is finally coming out at last!
Plus. of course, the inclusion of the live material is a bonus anyway.....

It's DTS 96/24 on DVD-Video.
I guess this also means either LPCM stereo or Dobly Dirgital 5.1 as well.
I will post back as soon as my copy arrives (hopefully in 3 weeks time)

Anyone have any idea if any of these have the surround mix?

Hmm....my link to cduniverse's search link didn't work once posted here. Anyway, cduniverse has numerous editions of this reissue. If anyone can definitely let me know which one I should be buying, I'd appreciate it.

Anyone have any idea if any of these have the surround mix?

Hmm....my link to cduniverse's search link didn't work once posted here. Anyway, cduniverse has numerous editions of this reissue. If anyone can definitely let me know which one I should be buying, I'd appreciate it.

Post #10 by OldQuadGuy has the correct link.

Regarding your CD WOW! Order

Just to let you know that:
Young Americans (CD+DVD Deluxe Edition) by DAVID BOWIE has been dispatched.

Please allow up to 7 days for this item to arrive.

If after this time the above item has not arrived, please do let us know.

This completes your order.:banana: :banana: :banana:

It's DTS 96/24 on DVD-Video.
I guess this also means either LPCM stereo or Dobly Dirgital 5.1 as well.
I will post back as soon as my copy arrives (hopefully in 3 weeks time)

Ill confirm that.
I had a quick listen last night to the disc, would liek to have cranked it up a bit but kids were in bed !!!!

The Mix is a nice not agressive but makes good use of the rear speakers.

DTS 5.1 sound is not to shabby, have not tried the DD 5.1 and PCM 2.0 tracks.

As soon as Roundhouse tells us that CDwow is in FACT selling the surround edition of this, I'll jump on board.

I just received mine and can confirm that the CDwow version is in fact the surround edition.

One caveat--it is in PAL format (no problem for me as my Pioneer DV-563A plays everything without a hitch)!

BTW.................The mix is superb!(y)

Back