Depeche Mode new album - Delta Machine - NO 5.1 ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pythonman

Having a copy of most of the Depeche Mode SACDs, and being slightly disappointed that their last album, Sounds of the Universe, was released as a DTS DVD (but at least there was a 5.1 version), it appears, from everything I've read so far, that the forthcoming album Delta Machine does not have a 5.1 mix, even on the deluxe edition.

This will mean it is the only studio album of theirs not to have been given a 5.1 mix. A real shame, and means I probably won't buy the album as a consequence.

Unless anyone else has heard anything different?

Having a copy of most of the Depeche Mode SACDs, and being slightly disappointed that their last album, Sounds of the Universe, was released as a DTS DVD (but at least there was a 5.1 version), it appears, from everything I've read so far, that the forthcoming album Delta Machine does not have a 5.1 mix, even on the deluxe edition.

This will mean it is the only studio album of theirs not to have been given a 5.1 mix. A real shame, and means I probably won't buy the album as a consequence.

Unless anyone else has heard anything different?

+1
no 5.1, no shirtee

I too am more than just a bit disappointed that there doesn't appear to be any multi-channel mix of 'Delta Machine'. Like pythonman, I was grateful for, if somewhat annoyed by, the 5.1 DVD-V mix of 'SOTU', an album I picked up as both double disc and 4 disc box set. However, the fact that their entire back catalogue is available in SACD hybrid multi-channel, save for 'SOFAD Live', 'SOTU' and now 'Delta Machine', makes the omission of a hi-res multi-channel mix all the more glaring.

I'm not sure whether the previous releases were something the band themselves instigated, or just a marketing ploy to milk a back catalogue, but the demand for them on the second hand market surely demonstrates that there is a desire for this format by their fans. I did find it strange when Mute re-issued the re-issues minus the SACD version and thanked my lucky stars that I got in on release day to buy all 10. Ironically, such was my lust for these albums that when Mute's online store told me that 5 of the 10 were on back order, I ordered them from another source, only for Mute to fulfil their order a week later, so I ended up with half of the reissues in duplicate. I promptly sold them to a friend for what I had paid for them. If only I had hung on to them, I could have sold them individually on eBay today for three figure sums!

Someone elsewhere suggested that their new label, Columbia, might have had a bearing on the decision, but seeing as Columbia is owned by Sony, creators of SACD, I'd find that strange. Why would a label not issue a release from arguably the biggest selling electronic band of all time in a 'native' format.

Unless, that is, Sony are planning to release a Blu Ray Audio version? Hmmm..... That would be enough to have me jump on board the Blu Ray wagon.

I'll be buying the album because I am a massive DM fan, but there will be a gaping hole in my DM collection until someone decides to release a 5.1 mix :(

I'm figuring the only surround-like version I'll hear of Delta Machine is the one I'll bear witness to at the O2 Arena in May...

Sony have effectively dropped all support for SACD, so it's extremely unlikely this will happen on that format, and I think if it were going to happen it would already have done so,.

The writing was on the wall with the terrible BD version of "Tour of the Universe", which "features" an upmixed 5.1 stream instead of a discrete mix.
Sadly, that album is a complete turkey and "Touring The Angel" smokes it both visually & sonically.

Sony have effectively dropped all support for SACD, so it's extremely unlikely this will happen on that format, and I think if it were going to happen it would already have done so,.

The writing was on the wall with the terrible BD version of "Tour of the Universe", which "features" an upmixed 5.1 stream instead of a discrete mix.
Sadly, that album is a complete turkey and "Touring The Angel" smokes it both visually & sonically.

I've not had the pleasure (or misfortune!) of seeing the Blu Ray version and I've not properly watched my DVD copy but that is indeed a shame :(

To be honest, I'd be happy to have a DTS/DD mix on DVD-Video, just to have a 5.1 mix. Bjork is another artist who delivered all of her albums up to, and including, Volta in 5.1 (be it SACD, DVD-A or DVD-V/DualDisc), only to ignore such a mix on her last album, 'Biophilia'.

Back