Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I'm sure you've noticed Adam on the discs themselves...... Issued under license to SONY corporation UK......and you know what THAT means? :banana::banana::banana:

Let the review process BEGIN, Adam.

Imagine 12 newly minted QUAD titles from the RCA catalogue on 6 SACDs......and NO fanfare!

Who'd a thought? :woopie

And thanx for the pics, AB. Time to get your 'Easy Listening' Mojo working!:teleport:

Giving Hugo's Others By Brothers a spin at the min.. the review process will be easy if they're all like this.. it sounds sensational.

You're welcome on the pics, to me they are one of the best features here so that we can see what this stuff actually looks like "in the flesh".. I wish more people generally would take pics of these kinds of things, these days people take pics of their food in a nice restaurant and upload it to Instagram or whatever more than they do of each other! So, really QQ needs to get in on the act and expand on its social media presence by joining the Twittersphere and start Instagramming it.. let's catch the Quaddies and surroundanistas from every angle.. SOON QQ VILL TAKE OVAH ZEE VURLD..!!!!! Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahhhh...! (Time for a coffee methinks :eek: )

Don't be shy, post your pics today!! :D

And I'm sure you've noticed Adam on the discs themselves...... Issued under license to SONY corporation UK......and you know what THAT means? :banana::banana::banana:

Yep.. The doors of Sony UK's Quad treasures are now officially OPEN..!!!! :wave

Other "surround-sympathetic" UK labels, like Cherry Red/Esoteric, need to get in on the act too - NOW - and do likewise.. Cherry Red/BBR can get some psychedelic soul out in Quad, maaan..!! ;)

WOW! Never thought of THAT... these are licensed by Sony.

How did you get these so quickly Adam...amazon?

Yes, sold by Vocalion direct at Amazon UK marketplace.

To be fair they have only come from Watford, which is literally 45 mins-1hr away by car.. and I imagine the Post Office were brighter than to send them to a sorting office in Swansea so they got here in 2-ish working days. Very impressed with the whole operation, Vocalion seemingly have every base covered with this endeavour, they license, assemble, distribute, retail and market the product.. and on the strength of these first purchases I will now buy the other 3 Quad titles they have released so far and aim to buy every subsequent new Quad release they put - I hope these sell well and this is just the start.

The reissues are all done that way. The reissue companies pay a guaranteed minimum to the record label owning the masters + they pay for each copy of the pressed discs.

Thanks for the fast review Adam....Montenegro is ordered for a start. Let us know how Mr. Kramer's mix is when you get those also.

Both Floyd Cramers have decent mixes with masses going on rear and front. Possibly not quite as aggressive as the Montenegro, but still good.

Impressive!

I put in an order with Vocalion 3 days ago and have yet to receive an order conformation.
Looks like Amazon is the way to go when ordering these SACDs.

I got order confirmation at time of ordering, directly from Vocalion - also confirmation of order from SagePay. Both on 20th December. No further communication. All 6 SACDs arrived today (23rd December) around 14:00 hrs by Royal Mail, sensibly packed so that they would fit through the letterflap. I live in England, but some 250 miles further away than Adam.

Suffice to say the transfers are first class, and sound superb. I am VERY pleased indeed with them. Montenegro in particular is far better than I dared to think, only ever having heard one track by him previously.

Thanks Oxenholme...I can't wait, Hugo is legendary...at least in the Quad Crowd! I received a confirmation email within a minute of ordering, if you did not Brian.... I dare say the order did not process correctly. John

Thanks Oxenholme...I can't wait, Hugo is legendary...at least in the Quad Crowd! I received a confirmation email within a minute of ordering, if you did not Brian.... I dare say the order did not process correctly. John

I have the Pay Pal confirmation of payment. We'll see what happens next when Vocalion responds to the email.

Ps. For anybody here who is maybe on the fence about these, just look at the calibre of musicians featured on the Montenegro albums alone..

Larry Carlton... Hal Blaine... the Motown legend James Jamerson.. seriously cookin' brothers..! :smokin

Floyd Cramer - Super Country Hits - quite dynamic - piano upfront, a little to the right - loads in the rears
Floyd Cramer - Young And Restless - a little more laid back, still pop rather than MOR - piano upfront - a lot less happening in the rears, but still discrete
Floyd Cramer - Class of 73, 74 & 75 - a bit lush, more MOR, loads of orchestra, plenty going on in the rears. Not keen on this one, but that's down to taste - the mix is good
Perry Como - Perry - excellent - absolute full use of the rear speakers,
Perry Como - In Person - live, audience in rears, but also a lot of the accompaniment. The balance is excellent
Henry Mancini - Six Hours Past Sunset - piano rear right, remainder spread out nicely - I like it a lot
Henry Mancini - A Warm Shade Of Ivory - similar - Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet should not disappoint
Henry Mancini - Brass, Ivory etc. - piano up front but seems a bit to the right. Masses of action in the rears.
Hugh Montenegro - both albums stunningly good. Dynamic and aggressive surround. Wonderful material.

All in all Ox is delighted. I think that the EQ is perfect throughout for the material, nothing is too loud. If Dutton Vocalion keep this up I'll be broke but happy.

It's no surprise that the Montenegro titles have good mixes, they were designed from the ground up to be played back in quad and I think it shows. Montenegro's association with RCA ended in 1975, the same year that they stopped putting out quad product - I don't think that's any coincidence.

I spoke with Mike Dutton from Vocalion via email and told him about QQ (and this thread) and the enthusiasm we have for mch SACD reissues of old quad masters. He said they were seeing a good response to their blog post so hopefully there will be more of these issues in the future. I also offered to lend my quad-knowledge (for whatever it's worth) if it would help get more titles released, and mentioned that the Sony quad catalog is equally as large as the RCA one, so they know it exists at least. Mr. Dutton said he had worked for several companies that released quad albums over the course of his career, and seems to have an excellent grasp of what constitutes a good release so I think these reissues are in good hands.

hugo.jpg
(Full article here.)

Back