DVD-A & SACD Lookout List!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a few orders from Caiman, and they've always delivered. Sometimes takes two or three weeks. Last one was Koyaanisqatsi on DVD-Audio - not an easy title to find, but it arrived new and shrink-wrapped.

I've had a few orders from Caiman, and they've always delivered. Sometimes takes two or three weeks. Last one was Koyaanisqatsi on DVD-Audio - not an easy title to find, but it arrived new and shrink-wrapped.

I just took a chance with Caiman last week and ordered Carly Simon's "No Secrets" DVDA shipped for around $20 US. Your comment, "Sometimes takes two or three weeks" gives me hope, but do they charge your credit card at the time of purchase or time of shipment? They charged mine at time of purchase.

nice to hear that caiman has come thru for some. my experience with them has thus far kept me from doing any repeat business. i purchased nektar's "remember the future" sacd, only to receive the redbook. they weren't real interested in sending me the correct one (which they presumably didn't really have), but i did get a refund without too much hassle.

Just this week, I got a new and sealed Nektar - RTF. The case has absolutely no marking indicating it is SACD. But seller(not Caiman) knew this was an SACD/CD hybrid. I think the 2004 date will give this one away as being the SACD release. The actual disc does show SACD. This is a tricky one if it is sealed.

Vinylguy4

Last edited:
Is Caiman trying to set prices... and retire in the islands ?

Looked awfully pricey to me in their Amazon listings.

I've also had discs cancelled by Caimen, so what you see may not be what they have.

Tower.com still has Herbie Hancock's Headhunters MC SACD [non-hybrid US version] available here for $17.43 with free shipping on orders over $25.

The image on the product page for the SACD may suggest this is the stereo version but the description mentions multichannel and the UPC code specifically points to the MC version all across the Internet, including UPDDatabase.com. If someone has the MC SACD and could verify the UPC, that'd be cool. If it is, it's a great price for a new copy. Caiman has it as well for ~$22.

:banana:

Folks, my Head Hunters SACD arrived today from Tower.com and it is indeed the MC, non-hybrid SACD. My copy even came with the clear and gold slipcase, which is unusual for me!

It's nice when these little gambles work out! If you are interested in this increasingly rare disc, I don't think you can go wrong with $17.43 new and sealed!

HTH,
Josh

Just surveyer Tower.com's SACD selection and Headhunters (SACD) comes up as no longer available. Door must've just closed. Either artists you've heard of, classical, hybrid import (pricey) or no longer offered.

Just surveyer Tower.com's SACD selection and Headhunters (SACD) comes up as no longer available. Door must've just closed.

Tower.com is tricky when searching for items. If you click on the link I provide in my post above, which will take you to the product page, you'll see that the Head Hunters non-hybrid MC SACD, at least, is still in stock. . .though who knows for how long! ;)

EDIT: To be clear, here is the link again.

Some progress being made on my end. . .

HMV.co.jp has had Japanese Kamakiriad DVD-A on order now for many weeks, but they still haven't said the manufacturer has deleted the item and usually this is a good sign because the manufacturer usually tells them the item is deleted within a few days after order. I'm patient, I've got nothing to lose by waiting. Yet another thing I like about HMV is that they secure items in your order such that if one is on order and the others are in stock, you "lock in" the items in stock for as long as the order is opened. Others probably do this as well, but with HMV it's explicitly stated.

I placed a separate order for another rare disc that they actually delivered on, and it's the Bela Fleck DVD-A (US Edition). A steal at less than $20 including shipping! Got the Hybrid MC SACD of Dave Brubeck's Time Out (getting rarer but still available) and some Australian CDs as well.

Meanwhile, Caiman delivered on a retail new American Beauty DVD-A for about $28.

Anyone else having luck?
Josh :)

I'm starting to feel bad that I posted about Caiman having stuff available as I have ordered from them in the past(myabe about 20 titles) and I received them all. The Elp-Brain Salad Surgery they cancelled on me but all the others(Carly Simon,Foreigner,T Rex,Alison Krauss,Donald Fagen,Alice Cooper) all just say processing and its been 6 weeks already. I don't want to cancel as all titles are OOP but I don't have to much hope that these are going to show up as you would think they would have shipped by now. As Josh asked has anyone else had any luck on their orders over past 2 months?

I'm starting to feel bad that I posted about Caiman having stuff available as I have ordered from them in the past(myabe about 20 titles) and I received them all. The Elp-Brain Salad Surgery they cancelled on me but all the others(Carly Simon,Foreigner,T Rex,Alison Krauss,Donald Fagen,Alice Cooper) all just say processing and its been 6 weeks already. I don't want to cancel as all titles are OOP but I don't have to much hope that these are going to show up as you would think they would have shipped by now. As Josh asked has anyone else had any luck on their orders over past 2 months?

I've been waiting since around Feb. 23 for the Alison Krauss Live SACD I ordered from Caiman through Amazon sellers and the link they gave me still says "processing." I've e-mailed them 2 or 3 times and got no reply. I'm thinking about getting my money back as my card was charged, but these are rare OOP titles. And yet there is a deadline for filing a claim through Amazon.

I missed the boat on the Head Hunters SACD at Tower. I didn't think they had it in stock, now they really don't.

All I can say about Caiman is that I tried them several years ago for certain used titles, most normal CD's; they had some things, but also claimed to have others that, in fact, were not in stock. I suspect they just list titles and don't always remove them after an item is sold. Very frustrating for the buyer, of course.

ED :)

Back