DVD-A's Copy

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guy Robinson

Not that I would do this, but does anyone know whether a DVD-A can be copied to a DVD-RW with the MLP in tact?

I wonder if that DVD-X Copy program would work? Anyone try it yet? (For archival purposes only, of course)

That's what I was thinking. I can't believe that no-one on this forum has tried it.

Testimonal from DVD X Copy web site:

"Just the other day when Magnolia arrived in the mail from the NetFlix DVD rental service, I confess to having used DVD X to make a copy. Most remarkably, the clone played back smoothly even when the scratched original disc hiccupped in several spots: DVD X Copy can digitally restore damaged discs." ~ Edward Baig, USA Today

So it looks like dvd x copy will copy a dvd movie - can't be sure if it will copy a dvd-a .

I have a friend who has tried various methods of making backup copies of his DVD-A discs. Basically, the ones without any form of copy protection will copy and play fine, but these are mostly early releases from, um, less desirable labels.

All big label releases and later small label releases have some form of copy protection (at least of those he has tried). The copy protection only affects the hi-rez data. The lo-rez audio (DTS/DD) and visual elements (menus, videos, etc.) still work from the backup discs.

So Silverline discs will copy.:) I guess that pretty well answers my question. I guess I will forget the DVD writer for now.

Don't count out that DVD writer so quickly. If you have a tv tuner card you can make your own Simpsons dvd !;)

Only the earlier Silverline releases lack the copy protection for the hi-rez content. Ironically, their earlier titles are generally better than the later titles (but then, that's not saying much).

The two Aaron Neville discs are the only Silverlines I own and sonically they are also 2 of the best discs that I have.

When did that happen! I just turned my back and...........
What's next, "You spend way too much time on the forum" category?

What if you were to select all from the DVD-A and dragged everything into a folder on your hard drive, then just copy the contents of that folder back to a DVD. Wouldn't the content be the same? I know it might be 4GB or so but it works for cd-roms.

It's been tried and doesn't work. Again, lo-rez content will play but not hi-rez. Whatever copy protection scheme is there cannot be bypassed with this simple tactic.

With the fragile state of DVD-A, I would hope that everyone BUYS them (at least the good ones they like). Piracy of a DVD-A is not going to help the format.....

:-jon

Right on Jon! By all means, don't pirate DVD-A (or any other music media, for that matter). Both DVD-A and the artists need the support of legitimate consumers.

What my friend was trying to do was more of an academic exercise than anything else. He was just trying to make backup copies of his discs just to see if he could. He hopes to get DVD-A in his car some day and would rather not use the originals. Even though the hi-rez content won't play from most his backups, I think the lo-rez should be fine for his car.

Anyway, I don't even have a DVD burner but I did work with him in his little experiment. I'm actually quite glad to see the copy protection is working. It's probably just a matter of time before somebody finds a way around it, though.

I agree 100% with JonUrban. Let's make sure the format survives.

I just bought the NEW Pioneer AO6 Dual burner DVD-R /Rw DVD+R /Rw. It was between the Sony And the Pioneer and Pioneer won! Next is the Authoring and M.L.P. encoder for DVD-A! This for a Good reason. The demo of both wont let me save any work so have to buy the full programs. Possible Recording Label work in the works! Keep you posted as to what and when. Hint ! Keith, Greg, Carl.
0] Rob:cool:

Rob, where did you find the A06? I have not seen it anywhere, and how much was it?

:-jon

Back