Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary Box Set (3 CDs & 5.1 Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered the set 8/14 and immediately requested through the operations email address after receiving the set and finally received my replacement disc yesterday I did send them another email last week asking what’s up with no bounce back

My take on this as I just got my replacement disc last week, I reckon however many boxsets they made is the same amount as replacement discs and they’ve run out, some people will have bought the box, sent for the replacement disc and maybe then sold the unopened box leaving people who have just got theirs out, even if bought from an official source. Let’s say there was 10,000 boxes made, they wouldn’t make more than 10,000 replacements would they?

Pretty shitty customer service to pull the support email and no longer issue replacements by Universal. Their twitter handle is @UMG if you’d like to express displeasure (or retweet mine, see @leadvillegreyts).

By contrast Neil Young’s label is still issuing replacement DVDs for the bad audio on the BBC concert in the Harvest box set many months after the initial announcement.

I’ve also left a 1 star review at Amazon warning folks of the problem.

A friend received his replacement disc yesterday from the U.K. which means that some of you may still receive theirs as well. He confirmed not having received any e-mail confirmation. The disc just showed up.

A friend received his replacement disc yesterday from the U.K. which means that some of you may still receive theirs as well. He confirmed not having received any e-mail confirmation. The disc just showed up.
Crossing my fingers. But I would say the following response I received this AM is pretty much an anti-confirmation (as opposed to no confirmation):

*This is an automated response*

NB! This inbox is no longer monitored! If you have a query with a purchase please refer to your retailer.

By contrast Neil Young’s label is still issuing replacement DVDs for the bad audio on the BBC concert in the Harvest box set many months after the initial announcement.

Not a fair comparison in that case, the Madman box was originally released well over a year ago. These recently discounted copies are making room for other things at the warehouse it would seem.

• Item model number ‏ : ‎ 2022-06-10
  • Original Release Date ‏ : ‎ 2022
  • UNSPSC Code : 55111512
  • Date First Available ‏ : ‎ April 21, 2022

When did she send the request for a replacement Blu-ray disc?

Not a fair comparison in that case, the Madman box was originally released well over a year ago. These recently discounted copies are making room for other things at the warehouse it would seem.
Agreed, although the Harvest set was also a 2022 release (Dec 2).

Given that the Madman error was disclosed back in June 2022, it's sad that faulty box sets stayed in the retail channel this entire time.

Last edited:
My take on this as I just got my replacement disc last week, I reckon however many boxsets they made is the same amount as replacement discs and they’ve run out, some people will have bought the box, sent for the replacement disc and maybe then sold the unopened box leaving people who have just got theirs out, even if bought from an official source. Let’s say there was 10,000 boxes made, they wouldn’t make more than 10,000 replacements would they?
Hmmmm. I bet at least as many people (probably many more) bought the set and never requested a replacement disc. Not everyone would want the BluRay or would notice it was defective. Or know any of the details about getting a replacement disc.

I can’t imagine there would be too many who would do what you described

Just got this a couple weeks ago and found this thread with the issue. I e-mailed [email protected] and got a message that this mailbox is no longer being monitored!

Will try going through their regular support system...

After several rounds of e-mail with UMusic, they finally told me I needed to contact the seller (Amazon in this case). Not sure how to even pose the question of a replacement Blu-Ray to Amazon. It keeps pushing me to request a replacement of the whole box, which I am sure won't help. Did anyone have any luck going through Amazon?

I do have the MATW SACD and the Tumbleweed Connection SACD and I am pretty sure the Ronson version of "Madman" is on one of them. What else am I missing if I can't get the Blu-Ray replaced? Looks like two videos?

Thanks for the help.

After several rounds of e-mail with UMusic, they finally told me I needed to contact the seller (Amazon in this case). Not sure how to even pose the question of a replacement Blu-Ray to Amazon. It keeps pushing me to request a replacement of the whole box, which I am sure won't help. Did anyone have any luck going through Amazon?

I do have the MATW SACD and the Tumbleweed Connection SACD and I am pretty sure the Ronson version of "Madman" is on one of them. What else am I missing if I can't get the Blu-Ray replaced? Looks like two videos?

Thanks for the help.
The two videos are on the “defective disc” and work fine, if you have TC you have the Mick Ronson version, all you are missing is the dts-hd ma version of the album, the box has it in dts only

Thanks for the help.
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the box recently because it was so cheap, and because I don't really care about the defective parts of the BD. I'd LIKE to have a complete, working set, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

The 5.1 on the Madman SACD sounds marvelous. And yes, the Ronson version of the title song is on the TC SACD. (where it belongs, IMO, as it was from those sessions.)

All I really wanted was the bonus discs and the book. And the nice looking set. So if I can get a replacement BD -- great. If not? I'll be fine. But I do think it's a bit wrong that they are just letting these known defective discs sitting out there and letting be sold with no disclaimer and no replacement offered.

I read a tweet from Universal Music a couple of weeks ago, stating that the corrected Blu-ray version can be obtained by sending a request to their email address, [email protected]. Based on this, I felt confident in purchasing the box set. I received the same message as many others. In my opinion, this is a scam.

The announcement is still there, and the box set is available in stores

I read a tweet from Universal Music a couple of weeks ago, stating that the corrected Blu-ray version can be obtained by sending a request to their email address, [email protected]. Based on this, I felt confident in purchasing the box set. I received the same message as many others. In my opinion, this is a scam.

The announcement is still there, and the box set is available in stores
It’s not a scam, this has been available for over a year now, surely you dont expect the company to offer replacements forever? It’s been vastly reduced in price now which is why people including myself have been snapping it up, sorry but we cant expect it both ways

It’s not a scam, this has been available for over a year now, surely you dont expect the company to offer replacements forever? It’s been vastly reduced in price now which is why people including myself have been snapping it up, sorry but we cant expect it both ways
I understand your perspective even though I disagree with it.

Forever? No. But I assume that the offer is to exchange the Blu-ray disc for the corrected version that matches the advertised content for as long as the product is available. The box set is still widely available from various sellers.

Consumers also have a valid reason to assume that if a defect was identified a year ago, it should have been corrected by now. The fact that the product has been sold at a lower price than before is unrelated to this matter. The announcement is still there and it does not mention any time limit, and it has not been updated.

Often, music album releases are available for several years, and a year or even two is a relatively short period. However, this is a minor point. The responsibility for the defect begins at the moment of purchase.

But I want to emphasize that you have the right to your own opinion on this matter.

Last edited:
I unfortutely learnt first hand Universal doesn't replace anymore blu ray from this box.I got an automatic answer saying the box was no longer monitored.

I unfortutely learnt first hand Universal doesn't replace anymore blu ray from this box.I got an automatic answer saying the box was no longer monitored.
Regardless of the automated response, there are reports on another forum that people who followed the instructions and provided:

| Proof of purchase, address AND phone number |

received a replacement disc, with no further communication or shipping notice.

Might be worth a try, sooner than later, obviously.

Regardless of the automated response, there are reports on another forum that people who followed the instructions and provided:

| Proof of purchase, address AND phone number |

received a replacement disc, with no further communication or shipping notice.

Might be worth a try, sooner than later, obviously.
I sent such a an email (receipt, address, phone number) on Sept 6 and got the automated reply. Crossing my fingers. I’ll update this if/when a replacement arrives.

Back