Facepalms at the ready - the 2016 (Surround Sound) Grammy Nominations are in ...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
In case no one's noticed, the nominations for the 2016 Surround Sound Grammy are in:

Amdahl: Astrognosia & Aesop
Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Ingar Heine Bergby & Norwegian Radio Orchestra)
Label: 2L (Lindberg Lyd)

Amused To Death
James Guthrie, surround mix engineer; James Guthrie & Joel Plante, surround mastering engineers; James Guthrie, surround producer (Roger Waters)
Label: Columbia/Legacy

Magnificat
Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Øyvind Gimse, Anita Brevik, Nidarosdomens Jentekor & Trondheimsolistene)

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7
Erdo Groot, surround mix engineer; Erdo Groot, surround mastering engineer; Philip Traugott, surround producer (Paavo Järvi & Russian National Orchestra)
Label: Pentatone

Spes
Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Tove Ramlo-Ystad & Cantus)

iWKad22.jpg

I take it that you're not a fan of Morten's work.

I take it that you're not a fan of Morten's work.

I LOVE Morten's 2L releases [Magnificat and SPES are SUPERB) but sadly overlooked are the equally compelling, highly discrete multichannel (5.1 and 7.1) BD~As from Sono Luminus. http://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=sono+luminus

It's not surprising that the Grammy Surround nominations are so UNBALANCED as over the years they've always been somewhat cocamany......just like the Academy Awards!

Right on Ralph - Zoforbit is one of my top 3 multichannel music buys of 2015! :)

Derek, what it comes down to: "politics as usual" with regards to ALL these dastardly Award Shows.

They're becoming increasingly infuriating to watch. The Academy Awards this year is all about Black vs. White with high profile Black Actors/Directors boycotting the upcoming Awards show due to the lack of nominations for Black actors.

Ironically, as with all these award shows, Actors vote for actors, Directors vote for Directors, et alia so I wish this BS would stop. In New York City alone there are roughly 87 nationalities inhabiting the Big Apple and how long before they all clamor for a coveted place in the spotlight????????

Yeah politics seems to be the hot topic in America at the moment, what with the Presidential election candidates steamrolling through a town near every Tom, Deb and Ali. As for the Surround Sound Grammy Award, it begs the question, if this year's nominations aren't the best of 2015, why not? As you say Ralph, politics.

Hopefully this year will bring more and more high quality multichannel mixes ... even if the mixers aren't likely to win a Grammy.

........................ if this year's nominations aren't the best of 2015, why not? As you say Ralph, politics.
Really? I think that this is a small niche category and the voters are greatly influenced by (1) the obvious and (2) the efforts of a few proactive producers. I see the same thing in all Grammy categories but the effect is greater at the fringes. Does it really matter?

Back