Fear of a Blank Planet - The Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one really takes a few listens to absorb!

I do however see the "Blank" that SW describes! This however is not a new situation at all.

One thing that stands out as usual, the musicianship is on point.(y)

I will have the privilege of seeing them live in Baltimore on 5/22/07:smokin

Friday night, can't wait!

Liking FOABP more all the time; building a road edition now with Blackfield II and Stupid Dream tracks for the next several months in the vehicles. (replacing well worn Deadwing road edition for now)

The music on this release, especially the arrangement and vocal refrain on Anesthetize around 1:12 and 2:12 give me goosebumps or emotion response that is reserved for middle sections of Genesis tracks like Cinema Show and Robbery, Assault & Battery. It's personal and these completely flood over me when I listen to them. (can die happy for having heard them)

Also in Anesthetize, the heavy part that comes in at 2:55 is absolutely representative of a phamaceutical BLIZZARD as part of the story! If you've ever listened to this album with iTunes visualizer turned on, it is a totally great bombardment of the senses! SW knows what he's doing....

Amazingly good job of conjuring Stupid Dream vibe with My Ashes; no direct lift, just a clever re-working of much of the instrumental blend with strings behind it. OTOH, at 3:53, Sentimental borrows the underpinning riff from Trains (In Absentia) for an intersting turn. This is the only time I can recall tracing a PT riff back to a previous track. Sentimental is a sleeper track, growing in importance with every listen.

Seen It. The Cleveland show last night. A small group of QQers gathered for the spectacle. Myself, Timbre4 and Son, Dr.simple and Friends and a special thanks to DennisMabry and his Wife for setting this up. Great show and Dylan is right, 3 was great too.

Spence

Special thanks to Dennis & Carol for the thoughtful pre-show QQ warmup hosted at their suite! It was such a blast to be SURROUNDED by QQUADsters and talk about the music and formats we love and lose sleep over.

3 has to be one of the most exciting new bands on the scene; their first legit album will be released in July and I'll be buying at least one copy. If you're going to an upcoming PT show, you do not want to miss they guys. Is it loud and metallic? Yes. Can they write great songs, sing really well and jam hard and precise? Yes all of that and the music is springloaded with suprises. Can an acoustic guitar *really* fit into that scenario? Oh yes but I won't give it away now. :smokin:

Ahh...PT.They surely delivered the goods again this time. If you Google 'Porcupine Tree 2007 setlist' you'll have a pretty good idea how we were specifically were made happy. Last night's setlist started with Fear Of A Blank Planet from beginning to end! Then they took a 10 minute break after which they resumed with old favorites. [setlist in another post]

Notably different in the configuration was the keyboard at the edge of the stage which Steven Wilson played several times in surprising (to me) places. The other aspect was the usage of ACTUAL acoustic guitar(s) as opposed to the method of switching the (Paul Reed Smith) electric guitars to quite effective mimic acoustic guitars through virtual modeling. It was always done well but this made it more lovely indeed.

The video used for each song was absolutely top-notch, visceral, emotive and many other adjectives yet to be invented. Get back to you on that. Sound mix was loud but matched the venue at all times in my opinion. The tour had 7-8 shows under it's belt and it was a seamless production.

Tickets were a measly $17.00 (???) each for such a world-class evening of inventive music! The Cleveland House Of Blues was better than the HOB in San Diego and I look forward to returning to this venue for other shows.

Friday night, can't wait!
Also in Anesthetize, the heavy part that comes in at 2:55 is absolutely representative of a phamaceutical BLIZZARD as part of the story! If you've ever listened to this album with iTunes visualizer turned on, it is a totally great bombardment of the senses! SW knows what he's doing....

Addendum

When the song got to this point in the show, some of the video graphics used were not un-like what I saw with the iTunes visualizer...:mad:@:

Setlist - Cleveland May 18th, 2007

Fear of a Blank Planet
My Ashes
Anesthetize
Sentimental
Way Out of Here
Sleep Together
***BREAK***
Lightbulb Sun
Open Car
Drown With Me
Gravity Eyelids
Sever
Half Light
Blackest Eyes
Trains
|||ENCORE|||
Mother and Child Divided
Halo

I believe this to be correct or pretty close; I got to hear Drown With Me! Got the feeling most people didn't know it or the other non-album tracks.

San Francisco, one week before Cleveland:

Fear of A Blank Planet
Lightbulb Sun
My Ashes
Anesthetize
Open Car
Gravity Eyelids
Sentimental
Drown With Me
Half Light
Sever
Blackest Eyes
Way out of here
Sleep together
---
Even Less
Mother and Child Divided
Halo

Crazy that they are changing the setlist order so much. We paid $30 for floor and $25 for balcony and got Even Less :D

What a great show indeed. Fortunately I saw them play Even Less in 2002 on the In Absentia tour. It was the first thing I ever heard by them and still think it's one of their best songs.

That Gavin Harrison interview I linked elsewhere today mentioned that initially they wanted to play the new album straight through and decided it would balance the setlist out better if they dispursed it thoughout the evening.

Last night (and maybe a couple other nights) they went with the original idea. As a band, you have to change the setlist around to some extent to keep from going crazy or burning out on performing the material.

As a band, you have to change the setlist around to some extent to keep from going crazy or burning out on performing the material.

I would think so, but usually you see the set lists change very little.

I wish someone would have taped the show. I've seen PT 3 out of the last 4 times they've played SF and not a single show is circulating! (the one I missed is) Fear of a Blank Tape? Someone forgot to press 'record'? Most of their shows seem to make the rounds, but I'm not a big boot fan - only want shows I've seen. btw, PT are OK with taping - I'm not talking about something they don't approve of.

I would think so, but usually you see the set lists change very little.

Depends on the band, depth of their repetoire, number of nights played in series and volatility of leader's mood swing. Dead, Zappa, Dave Matthews Band, Phish, et al

No rules, just right.:smokin

Chicago's setlist May 17:

Fear of a Blank Planet
Lightbulb Sun
My Ashes
Anesthetize
Open Car
Gravity Eyelids
Drown With Me
Sentimental
Blackest Eyes
Half Light
Sever
Way Out of Here
Sleep Together

Even Less
Mother and Child Divided
Halo

Great show. I also appreciated a real acoustic guitar.

I never warmed up to "Way Out of Here", the chorus of which always sounded like a totally different band. That is--until I saw it live. The accompanying video at the show gave me chills. It seems inspired by a PT fan and her friend who were hit by a Train only a month after attending the DVD taping at the Park West in Chicago (the girl in the film looked just like her too). A friend of mine said the guy next to him was crying during that song.

I've seen PT 3 out of the last 4 times they've played SF and not a single show is circulating!

One might eventually show up. My patience paid off in my quest for a recording of my first PT show in 1999. I'll keep my eyes open.

The only downside of the show was that it wasn't in surround as was once promised. I wonder if and when that will ever happen. That would really take it over the top and beyond.

Seen It. The Cleveland show last night. A small group of QQers gathered for the spectacle. Myself, Timbre4 and Son, Dr.simple and Friends and a special thanks to DennisMabry and his Wife for setting this up. Great show and Dylan is right, 3 was great too.

Spence

Special thanks to Dennis & Carol for the thoughtful pre-show QQ warmup hosted at their suite! It was such a blast to be SURROUNDED by QQUADsters and talk about the music and formats we love and lose sleep over.

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was our pleasure to get everyone together and nice to meet Tim and his son who travelled all the way from Tennesee to Cleveland. Now that's dedication! We all had a great time (there may be photos coming soon) and what a great show!

Porcupine Tree always manage to put on a superb show, both sonically as well as visually, with stellar performances by Steven Wilson and company. :smokin I urge anyone who has not had the pleasure of seeing this band live to do so. You will not be disappointed! I am now looking forward to the DVDA releases of FOABP and Lightbulb Sun later on this year. Also, if a second leg of this tour comes around, I'm going again! :D

Dennis

Thanks for the great reviews guy's!!!

It's my turn now:D
5/22/07 Rams Head Live in Baltimore. This is gonna be great.

I will give a report as soon as I am back to reality.:smokin

What a great evening. The show was top notch and the setlist was perfect.
Aside from the new material, it was nice to hear Gravity Eyelids, Lightbulb Sun and Even Less.

The venue did not do it for me. (Rams Head) Not enough good viewing area.
Thank God for inventing monitors.

The opening group "3" was too loud for the venue. It was very close to being unpleasant. Their material was good though!

Gavin Harrison sounded exceptional.
Well worth the $25.00 for tickets.

What was nice to see was the mix of ages of those coming to experience the band. There were grandparents all the way down to teens. I guess that blows the Fear of a Blank Planet out of the water!
It was quite inspiring. Thanks Steve Wilson for all of your effort

Last edited:
Well, here is a shot from the recent trip to Cleveland to see Porcupine Tree at the House Of Blues, on May 18th. This was taken at the Cleveland Arcade. Left to right are QQ members DennisMabry, dr.simple, timbre4, and Spenceo. It was very fun to get everyone together! :brew

Attachments

• 69118-R1-16-17A_017[1].jpg
    69118-R1-16-17A_017[1].jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 113
oops. Confession time. Thanks to having 3 players and confusion, I'd not truly heard FOABP in 5.1 until last night. Even though I was selecting the DTS 5.1 stream, I was listening only to a 5CH Stereo mode of 2.0!!! No wonder it seemed awfully tame and flat compared to the others. :0

NOTE: I forgot; no optical from DVD-A Changer, but OMG yes on the Samsung universal + PAL DVD player. No DTS mode displayed was giveaway.

Let me tell you, it's a stunner. The fidelity is crisp and the separation well defined and very supportive of the compositions. It was pretty loud around here at midnight as I really got into it. There is some active panning and wonderful call and response of musical elements.

I retract any earlier statements about this being only a servicable mix or a placeholder. To know that DVD-A will take THIS up a notch just got even more exciting. Wanted you to know.

oops. Confession time. Thanks to having 3 players and confusion, I'd not truly heard FOABP in 5.1 until last night. Even though I was selecting the DTS 5.1 stream, I was listening only to a 5CH Stereo mode of 2.0!!! No wonder it seemed awfully tame and flat compared to the others. :0

Thanks for the good laugh :banana:

I have the Duran Duran DualDisc which has DD 5.1 as the only surround stream. I was listening once and thought it sounded awfully flat. Then I realized that it was playing the 2.0 track that my dvd player (Yamaha) was applying DPLII to. So, I switched my receiver to read the digital signal so that I could see in the big window that I had the right track. Still didn't sound very good - until I realized I had been watching a movie the night before with the dynamic range compression on. What a pain-in-the-ass these things can be. By this time I was all Duran Duraned out. Why don't they have a 'user mentally incapacitated and wants the most mind bending stream' button?

Last edited:
Back