First 2 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs Announced - Supersession and Breezin'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon U.S. just dropped their price for Super Session to $22.78, so if you were on the fence it's time to jump the fence.

Joe preordered Super Session for me at $22.78. I'll pass on Breezin', since I have the DVD-A. If Breezin' turns out to be a new or "corrected" mix, I'll get that, too. Otherwise, I'll continue listening to the DVD-A.

Amazon U.S. just dropped their price for Super Session to $22.78, so if you were on the fence it's time to jump the fence.

Joe preordered Super Session for me at $22.78. I'll pass on Breezin', since I have the DVD-A. If Breezin' turns out to be a new or "corrected" mix, I'll get that, too. Otherwise, I'll continue listening to the DVD-A.

Snap! I paid £24.99 in the UK as a pre-order from SpinCDs, its a really good album so I'm looking forward to it in 5.1. I'll hang fire on Breezin' for the same reasons.

Yikes, it didn't take long to jump up to $31.47! I was going to dump my $30.00 pre-order at Elusive Disc (if possible) but it's too late now...

Yikes, it didn't take long to jump up to $31.47! I was going to dump my $30.00 pre-order at Elusive Disc (if possible) but it's too late now...

If you snood you loose - oops - I mean snooze... :zzzzz

Got mine at $22.78: :banana:

1 of: Super Session (Hybrid Multichannel SACD), Kooper Bloomfield & Stills
Sold by: Amazon Export Sales, Inc.
Condition: New $22.78

1 of: Breezin' (Hybrid Multichannel SACD), George Benson
Sold by: Amazon Export Sales, Inc.
Condition: New $22.78

Amazon does tend to make those discount prices very short-term. So it is best to jump on to those deals when they first appear.
We'll have to see if the lower prices re-appear at a later date.

I don't know. I don't care for lite jazz so that rules out Breezin for me. On reflection I hope I don't offend anyone who does like him.....
As for the other I have conversions from a quad reel, Q8, a Japanese lp and the Japanese cd release with SQ encoding and 4 bonus tracks. It sounds great to me and I listened to it through a space and image composer after two mc sacds to compare sound quality. I am betting the new mix is a repurposed quad mix so I will have to wait for reviews before I shell out more money for that title.

Im betting most of the buyers of these titles are members of this forum and already have the above versions....

I suppose it could have been worse, AF could have released the Aretha Franklin Quadio title on sacd.

If they fix Breezin' I would buy it.

My understanding is that it is the 5.1 Surround mix from the DVD Audio release. If the Multichannel mix were changed, it would undoubtedly need artist and label approval, incur additional expenses in the studio and would delay the SACD's release date.

We're anticipating Al Kooper's personal unreleased 5.1 mix so I believe that concern of repurposed quad mix is unfounded.

From QQ deep space

My understanding is that it is the 5.1 Surround mix from the DVD Audio release. If the Multichannel mix were changed, it would undoubtedly need artist and label approval, incur additional expenses in the studio and would delay the SACD's release date.

Sure I understand all the things you mentioned but just releasing the same disc with the same problems is of little value to potential buyers. In this case, if you are attempting to garner some attention in the marketplace with your first multi channel projects you want to put out some quality discs. They either didn't do their due diligence or got some bad advice on that title. Just look at the Bob Marley releases; last year's mess is this year's 30th anniversary stellar release. If AF flops with these titles it could seriously affect future multi channel sales. A lot of people won't give AF a second chance if these discs are bad. If they wanted to avoid the additional expenses of doing a remix they should have chosen another quality title that was merely out of print. I suspect that these titles were chosen because they were easily obtainable and at a reasonable cost.

My wife and I were just talking yesterday about our dislike for lite-jazz vs jazz so Breezing would get zero play in our home. A reasonably priced Bitches Brew would be a winner here though. For "quiet" or "gentle" jazz, In A Silent Way is a go-to surround album here. The surround mix is a joy, with all the keyboards filling the room!

I did order Super Session though and look forward to Kooper's mix. I'd buy I Stand Alone or the first BSS album too if he mixed the 5.1 or quad.

In '05, I spoke with Al Kooper himself. He told me that he had mixed SS & Child is the Father to Man in 5.1 for SACD release. When I asked about release dates, he said he had no idea, as that was up to Columbia.

A couple years earlier, I asked Paul Revere about Collage, Indian Reservation and Country Wine's domestic CD releases. He gave a similar answer, "it's entirely up to Columbia AND THEY DON'T TELL ME A THING!" Those three CD's have since been released as imports (which I recommend), but still not domestically.

...I did order Super Session though and look forward to Kooper's mix. I'd buy I Stand Alone or the first BSS album too if he mixed the 5.1 or quad.

Thank you for that, Brian. From reading your article, it certainly seemed that they're just going to be adopting the existing mix. A lot of people here seem to think that it might be fixed, and I've been trying to think it through as to whether they would be able to do the necessary tweaking with Al Schmitt's approval and just update the credits, or... what? Don't know how that stuff works behind the scenes. It seems that if they just go ahead and re-release the mix with the same issues that people have complained about, then it would make them look really out of touch with the surround "community". Any thoughts?

Back