"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 S/T Album) Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got Mine today and all was koooooooo - they said it was delayed due to external factors and Snood was thinking that meant crushed :rolleyes:

Chatted with them today over on Amazon UK and they said it should be here by the 31st.......nope todaaaaaaay - damn hows that for lighting a fire under there ass.

Only problem Snood can not enjoy cuz Snood gotz the fluuuuuuuuu :howl

I was talking to a friend who had been to a local hospital and the ER was packed with flu victims...the news mentioned that there are many flu victims across the nation in hospitals and deaths caused by pneumonia were on the rise...

I was talking to a friend who had been to a local hospital and the ER was packed with flu victims...the news mentioned that there are many flu victims across the nation in hospitals and deaths caused by pneumonia were on the rise...

The flu is rampant in 49 States and the CDC [Center for Disease Control] really screwed up this year as their vaccine was only 30% effective. 27 adolescent deaths have been reported according to CNN.

Flu Season still has a few more weeks to go and my advice, buy those Lysol Sanitizing wipes and clean doorknobs, cell phones, etc. especially if you live in a household with multiple people.

And Snood, crack open that Fleetwood Mac Box and play it. It might cheer you up* :banana::banana::banana: And eat plenty of oranges! Unfortunately, :banana::banana: have plenty of potassium .... but no Vitamin C!

[*even though DD 5.1 has been known to have adverse effects on the psyche]:ugham:

Embarrassingly, I forgot I had pre-ordered this until the shipping notice from Amazon UK arrived.
Oh well too late to cancel by then. At least I got the most decent price.
I'm a fan but not a huge fan of this album but was pleased with how well this thing was packaged, like triple boxed.
Looking forward to hearing for myself how it the 24/96 & DD5.1 are.

How I would love to do a blind test with you. ;)

Like I said, I didn't want to believe it, and I understand scientifically why hi res is so much more useful for altering a file than it is for listening to it, but I heard a difference I can't write off to expectation bias because I wasn't expecting anything except to be disappointed by the lack of visuals. Maybe the Blu-Ray was mastered differently than the DVD.

maybe a red herring but fwiw i did a little 3-way on the MCh SACD, DVD-A & HFPA BD of Sea Change
and found the BD a bit different from the SACD & DVD-A, including the Front L&R of the BD's 5.1
having their phase inverted relative to the Front channels of the SACD & DVD-A.

Well, that explains it then. Thanks.

There is a vast difference between a WAV and an mp3, especially at the lower bit rates. Far more of a difference than there is between lossless files of different bit rates or frequencies. It only gets worse as things are transcoded. I literally can not even listen to Sirius Radio. It sounds awful, like the speaker is under water.

There is a vast difference between a WAV and an mp3, especially at the lower bit rates. Far more of a difference than there is between lossless files of different bit rates or frequencies. It only gets worse as things are transcoded. I literally can not even listen to Sirius Radio. It sounds awful, like the speaker is under water.
Agreed. Everything sounds stifled & closed down. No air.

Maybe this thread is dead so hopefully no one reads this post.

In it's history, Fleetwood Mac has been strangely blessed with talent particularly in the guitar and songwriting realm.

Peter Green & Danny Kirwan. Can't add anything to what already has been written.
Lindsay Buckingham is imo, the most underrated famous guitarist & song writer of them all.

Peter Green fans would most certainly howl at this.
He is a Blues God and rightly so.
Kirwan's style and range is like none other.
As much as I love Peter Green, I love Danny Kirwan equally as I do Buckingham.
They're all bloody brilliant, natural & unique.

In it's history, Fleetwood Mac has been strangely blessed with talent particularly in the guitar and songwriting realm.

Peter Green & Danny Kirwan. Can't add anything to what already has been written.
Lindsay Buckingham is imo, the most underrated famous guitarist & song writer of them all.

If Peter Green didn't have schizophrenia...many believe he would have surpassed most of the UK guitar greats...but in the 70's... treatment for this disease was primitive...mostly electric shock...and combined with his affinity for LSD...it robbed him of greatness....the Mac was a totally different band when he was in control...the Mac reminds me a lot of the Doobie Brothers...both bands underwent changes in their style of music...I have a love hate relationship with the Mac...it centers around the exclusion of Bob Welch from the RR Hall Of Fame...he held the band together for several years...without him the band probably would have disbanded...IMO he was quite a talent....he had the misfortune of being with the band during a period when their commercial success wasn't very high..and then there was the lawsuit over royalties with other members of the band...I still play French Kiss..Bob's major achievement....it's an awesome album....it's sad the way Bob ended his life..after spinal surgery the pain was so bad and he knew his condition would worsen... so suicide by a gunshot wound to the chest ended his life...he left a 9 page love letter to his wife and told her he didn't want her to have to take care of an invalid...he died in 2012 at the age of 66...his wife passed in 2016 at the age of 66..

I don't know of many bands that endured the soap opera existence like Fleetwood Mac....and a lot of it was in the full view of the public...I have so many memories from "back in the day" tied to the Mac..I'm sure listening to this release will be emotional for me...and I'm looking forward to it..with somewhat mixed emotions...not because of the quality of the recording...but my personal life was filled with many highs and lows during this time frame..it was the best of times...it was the worst of times...

Last edited:
First impressions- WOW

This is one of those ultra-revisionist mixes that uses components punched out of the stereo mix. My favorite track "Say You Love Me" has a guitar part in the rears that is entirely missing from the stereo! The purists may not love this (TBH it sounds like this release is already dead in the eyes of many who haven't even heard it), but I think it's awesome. "Mirage" in 5.1 has a very different feel as well, but this seems to deviate even further.

The "Monday Morning" comparison as promised- yes, the DD version is mastered louder and cuts off sharply around 16-18 khz, confirming what we already knew- there is a lossless master of this disc Rhino neglected to offer us.

Put me in the camp that says it's better than nothing at all- and what I've heard of the mix so far is quite enjoyable. Look for my full review in the coming days.

Acura DVD-A:
View attachment 31957

2018 DD DVD:
View attachment 31956

Thanks for that. I knew I wasn't hearing and seeing things. I still like the mix, mind you, it's just that it's compromised a bit.

If Peter Green didn't have schizophrenia...many believe he would have surpassed most of the UK guitar greats...but in the 70's... treatment for this disease was primitive...mostly electric shock...and combined with his affinity for LSD...it robbed him of greatness....the Mac was a totally different band when he was in control...the Mac reminds me a lot of the Doobie Brothers...both bands underwent changes in their style of music...I have a love hate relationship with the Mac...it centers around the exclusion of Bob Welch from the RR Hall Of Fame...he held the band together for several years...without him the band probably would have disbanded...IMO he was quite a talent....he had the misfortune of being with the band during a period when their commercial success wasn't very high..and then there was the lawsuit over royalties with other members of the band...I still play French Kiss..Bob's major achievement....it's an awesome album....it's sad the way Bob ended his life..after spinal surgery the pain was so bad and he knew his condition would worsen... so suicide by a gunshot wound to the chest ended his life...he left a 9 page love letter to his wife and told her he didn't want to her to have to take care of an invalid...he died in 2012 at the age of 66...his wife passed in 2016 at the age of 66..

I don't know of many bands that endured the soap opera existence like Fleetwood Mac....and a lot of it was in the full view of the public...I have so many memories from "back in the day" tied to the Mac..I'm sure listening to this release will be emotional for me...and I'm looking forward to it..with somewhat mixed emotions...not because of the quality of the recording...but my personal life was filled with many highs and lows during this time frame..it was the best of times...it was the worst of times...

French Kiss is Awwwwwwwwwwwesome - One of Snoods fave growing up albums.........played it over and and over and over and still do at times :banana:

Geeez remember that becuz Hotel Cali 76 was out and so was Rumours & French Kiss.....shit Bat Out of Hell, Billy Joel The Stranger, Saturday Night Fever, News of The World, Grand Illusion, Point of No Return, Love Gun, Eddie Money 1st, Foreigner 1st, Out Of The Blue, Commodores (Easy & Brickhouse), Book of Dreams, Running on Empty, Aja, Animals............ those are just a few and only the ones Snood listened to at the time - Snood was a young Snood.......got into a lot of others later but Wow

Holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeet all that in 1 year - we will never ever see anything like that time in music again. :howl

I think the Bob Welch era is amazing as well and the run of albums from the beginning to Tango is nothing short of exceptional, the mystery of that band and the tragedy of its guitarists endures. 50 years later and this band still blows my mind:)

I have to be honest and admit I was never much of a Welch fan but he did write the first "hits" for FM while he was in the band.
Kirwan hated him as he was taking the band away from the blues.
Danny always had an intense, sensitive, fragile personality plus he was very young when he joined the band.
Green was Kirwan's mentor and musical father figure and was instrumental in giving him the confidence that he really was a gifted songwriter.
After Green left he had no anchor and when Welch joined his drinking, depression & overt hostility made it unworkable.
By all accounts he's never recovered.

Gladly, Green has recovered after a long nightmare.

I have to be honest and admit I was never much of a Welch fan but he did write the first "hits" for FM while he was in the band.
Kirwan hated him as he was taking the band away from the blues.
Danny always had an intense, sensitive, fragile personality plus he was very young when he joined the band.
Green was Kirwan's mentor and musical father figure and was instrumental in giving him the confidence that he really was a gifted songwriter.
After Green left he had no anchor and when Welch joined his drinking, depression & overt hostility made it unworkable.
By all accounts he's never recovered.

Gladly, Green has recovered after a long nightmare.

Kirwan hit rock bottom and ended up homeless in London...despite all the alcohol consumption and some flirtation with LSD...he's still alive at age 67...and Green's medical problem and financial problems slowed him down.. but he's still alive at 71....it's amazing how many of these rock/pop icons lived these type of lives and are still alive.....if you look at James Taylor today...he's looks and talks more like a professor than a former "junkie"...

Like myself, make YOUR opinions known regarding this release by contacting RHINO directly: https://rhinostore.warnermusic.com/contacts

We [at least I] waited 45 years for this much anticipated 5.1 remaster and feel somewhat betrayed that they would release it in DD 5.1 when Rhino has been known to release exceptional BD~A 5.1 remasters.

I sent a note thanking Rhino for releasing this set but imploring them to do future 5.1 productions in lossless formats. I also said that I would buy a standalone Blu-ray audio of FM should it ever become available.

I sent a note thanking Rhino for releasing this set but imploring them to do future 5.1 productions in lossless formats. I also said that I would buy a standalone Blu-ray audio of FM should it ever become available.

Props to you!...that is the way to approach the situation:)....I would love that to happen...I'm just not going to go postal if it doesn't happen...and I certainly won't turn down any surround issues from The Mac because it's lossy....

GREAT! Well done.

As I previously mentioned, when Rhino released CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY a few years ago in LOSSY DTS 4.0, there was likewise a backlash imploring them to release it in higher resolution and wallah....a few years later we were 'rewarded' with the Chicago Quadio BD~A boxset which, BTW, absolutely smoked the DTS 4.0 remaster].

QQ's membership is supposedly 10,000 strong.........so don't be silent......WE ALL CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.(y)

https://rhinostore.warnermusic.com/contacts

GREAT! Well done.

As I previously mentioned, when Rhino released CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY a few years ago in LOSSY DTS 4.0, there was likewise a backlash imploring them to release it in higher resolution and wallah....a few years later we were 'rewarded' with the Chicago Quadio BD~A boxset which, BTW, absolutely smoked the DTS 4.0 remaster].

QQ's membership is supposedly 10,000 strong.........so don't be silent......WE ALL CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.(y)

https://rhinostore.warnermusic.com/contacts

Yes, the CTA Blu-ray Audio most definitely, positively, absolutely smoked the DTS 4.0 version. I was just thinking of that while listening to FM 5.1 yet again tonight. Great example. I should have used the CTA DTS/BR disc comparison as an example when I implored Rhino.

im·plore
imˈplôr/
verb:
beg someone earnestly or desperately to do something.
"He implored Rhino to issue 5.1 surround sound albums in lossless formats"
synonyms: plead with, beg, entreat, beseech, appeal to;

Still digesting this. First impressions (to my tastes):

Mix: Very good. Discrete, open, and revealing as compared to the stereo mix.

Clarity: Very good, especially considering the lossy encoding. Sounds great played loud.

Tonality: The surround mix is too “fat”, with emphasis in the bass. Especially when compared to the stereo mix. Anyone else feel this way, or is it me? Overall the tonality is smooth and easily corrected. Sounds much better with 3-5 dB bass cut.

Back