Genesis 1970-1975 Nov.10/11 2008

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have these discs (either sacd or DTS) ever become available individually

AMAZON UK has the individual SACDs w/DVDs ... unfortunately also PAL format. They also stock remastered CD format ... NOT SACD, but the same Nick Davis remixes in regular old stereo. Improved sound quality over the original releases, but no 5.1 ear candy. That said, by the time you paid the individual prices, you'd end up paying MORE. Even if you wanted to "settle" for vinyl, that costs $30 more than the box set. Better off just getting the box and tossing the DVDs ... or holding on to them just in case you ever get something that plays PAL.

Here's an example. I found the Lamb, standard cd, Nick Davis remix. (are you sitting down?)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamb-Lies-Down-Broadway/dp/B001BDZHZS/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1233945797&sr=1-18

** And don't worry about the bad review. That's one person who's probably p!ssed about having to pay that much for it ...

Plan B: You could sit back another 30 years and wait for the direct psychometric aural sub-cranial interface package to be released.

I've ordered the PAL version but might be open to the NTSC if available and the PAL doesn't show well on my DVD player. I didn't want to spend $35 to read the Genesis forums for premium members however.

I joined the Genesis forum years ago and then there was a option to be a non paying member. I see on the join page they do have a option for a virtual member and I believe thats how one joins without paying the $35 fee. I have a question into the Genesis web guy if that is correct but someone who is not a member can try that.

I see my Sacd/Pal version is saying shipped as of today so I won't throw my name into the hat for ordering the sacd/ntsc as I'm tired of this whole thing.

they do have a option for a virtual member

Best get right over there and sign up for a virtual box set ... :D

As of 2:20PM EDT ...

Amazon.co.uk items (Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.):

1 Genesis - 1970-1975: 1970-... £71.29 1 £71.29

Shipped via Deutsche Post World Net

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: £71.29
Shipping and handling: £3.08

Total: £74.37
I'd best go wait by the mailbox ...

*** Anybody else thinking on it, don't forget they automatically deduct the VAT for international purchases. I <believe> that's about 12-15% off the listed price, currently £81.98 ...

Last edited:
In regards to my previous post(s), Mike at the official site is trying to get an accurate count of Genesis forum members who are interested in purchasing the SACD/NTSC box. If it ever becomes available again, it looks like it will be a "members only" type of deal. Makes sense, I guess...

From zorknapp1 (Mike):
"I'll report what I've heard so far, but honestly, I think this initiative was just for members here, I appreciate that people on other forums may want this box, but this is something we *might* be able to do for people here."

Oddly encouraging that they would accept doing a small run for members only. Are there enough of them? We're about to find out....

Mail brought me the Amazon UK order for the sacd pal box today , I am anxious to take it for a spin tonight.....

I went to Best Buy today in Portland, OR and lo and behold, there it was: the 1970-1975 Genesis Box set. Of course, it was the CD-DVD version from Rhino with DTS. No SACD :( for $139. I was half way tempted to get it and add the NTSC versions to my PAL that are on the way from amazon.uk but I held off. Any day. Any day now. It was nice to at least hold the box in my hand and once again ponder the crazy marketing of this important release.

I listened to Trespass for the first time in any format and liked what I heard . I was surprised to find when I played the DVD in my Oppo 983 it played instantly , I thought I would have to do a little research to unlock it to play PAL. I wasn't to concerned about it cuz I bought the box for the sacd.

In regards to my previous post(s), Mike at the official site is trying to get an accurate count of Genesis forum members who are interested in purchasing the SACD/NTSC box. If it ever becomes available again, it looks like it will be a "members only" type of deal. Makes sense, I guess...

From zorknapp1 (Mike):
"I'll report what I've heard so far, but honestly, I think this initiative was just for members here, I appreciate that people on other forums may want this box, but this is something we *might* be able to do for people here."

Thanks for posting this Josh, I've been unavailable recently.

IMO, this doesn't make any sense. It seems to me that any opportunity to make additional money and increase sales would be welcomed. If EMI had to actually do another pressing, wouldn't the maximum number of potential buyers make the pressing most worthwhile (or, "commercially viable")? That begs the question: Where are they planning on *getting* these dozen or two box sets? Do they already exist somewhere or is EMI doing an exclusive pressing if something is agreed upon? If they only have a few lying around, that would explain the exclusivity. I'm grateful for the opportunity as a Genesis-music member, but it just doesn't seem right by the fans who are not forking over $35/yr. to be denied access to a retail product. Therefore, it's interesting that they are treating this as an exclusive, non-retail offering, which, of course, is their right to do. As always, I don't pretend to know all the details, and it still may not work out, so I'm reserving judgment.

Josh

I joined the Genesis forum years ago and then there was a option to be a non paying member. I see on the join page they do have a option for a virtual member and I believe thats how one joins without paying the $35 fee.

Oooh...I didn't know that Peter...maybe that's the key. Worth a shot for the non-members to try to get their names in the hat. Of course, that thread may see several 1-post members! Ha ha.

Curious if any others still had their Genesis Sacd orders outstanding with Amazon.ca or Amazon.com. I finally got a email today where they have cancelled my order. I understand that Amazon couldn't get the Sacd\Ntsc box but it is beyond me why they couldn't get their hands on the Sacd\Pal version. How did Amazon compensate people for sending the wrong box(Rhino one) or not sending the Sacd box. For me they said they would give me a $15 voucher for the trouble of not fulfilling order.
Sure glad I finally ordered it from Amazon.Uk as got message that its on its way. I wish it could have been the Ntsc box but its the Sacd's that I am mostly after.

peter

Since the PAL discs are not intended for the North American market, they didn't think to make them available to you or anybody else here.

I have been a Genesis Fan since 1970, as young as I was. I really appreciated the Gabriel years, more so when I saw the Shepperton tapes.

I only found out about this boxset recently and spent 2 days trying to find the SACD/NTSC verion online, of course it's impossible.

I found this site and wanted to add my name to the list of folks who want it if they do a special pressing for the members of the Genesis site to which I do not belong.

What I don't get is that they ship the NTSC to Japan, in obviously to small a quantity because they are sold out, but the other 2 sets are available in abundance everywhere. I sure hope it is not some greedy marketing ploy by the record company. I would think that there must be a plethora of Japanese customers who feel like us and want to buy this set. Not everyone has access to PAL DVD players.

Thank You :sun

Can you tell me where my CD lies? Said the unifaun to his...

Finally! After working this purchase since November the package from amazon.uk finally arrived yesterday with the SACD/PAL. I decided to keep it in the box and never play it since it is now so precious. Just kidding. After watching the football match between USA and MEX it was late but I popped in Firth of Fifth just to see what I had in store. Great start. There's the clarity I had been waiting for. I did try the PAL, no go in my player. This morning I went through Trespass and Nursery Cryme this evening. Its fun and exciting to hear each song again for the first time. The mixes really reveal lots that were masked in original versions. Having the 6 speakers really opens the music up. Of course, I'm looking forward to Supper's Ready and Rael's journey this weekend.
So, I'll be buying the DTS/NTSC videos this week and combine for the set I've really been wanting. Then I'll have a CD/PAL version for sale. Anyone interested?

Glad this purchasing fiasco is finished.

Welcome to the new world where we can take turns guessing why we can't buy what we reasonably expected to; probably my last post on the subject on the Genesis forum (at least):

Thanks to those who posted great additional information about this situation.

The net result is still the same, I'm screwed out of buying that which I want to buy. The inconsistency pointed out by others make this problem rather suspect. If I hadn't been allowed to purchase the previous box sets in the SACD/DVD NTSC version, then I'd be accepting this as being consistent. But that's not the case...

Somebody within band management, EMI and/or the other players involved didn't think this through and protect our interests. Sure, I can purchase the SACD/ PAL version, that's probably best plan for now. But it's a slap in the face for a number of diehard fans. That cannot be forgotten.

This debacle should serve as notice that fans are upset when they cannot purchase what they have become accustomed to and this carelessness should be AVOIDED with the forthcoming live album box and any other future releases.

Guess I got my $35 worth sounding off, but I'd still rather have what I asked for.

I guess you could do what I did and buy the PAL version then buy the NTSC version. Then combine the SACD's from 1. with the NTSC's from 2. and you've got your full set. Then combine the CD's with the PAL discs and sell them to somebody who doesn't have an SACD player. All in all it cost me a lot less than the version from Japan that I was trying to get.
BTW, I'm really glad I got the SACD's. Comparing them to the DTS versions, the SACD is just better sounding all around.

Welcome to the new world where we can take turns guessing why we can't buy what we reasonably expected to; probably my last post on the subject on the Genesis forum (at least):

Thanks to those who posted great additional information about this situation.

The net result is still the same, I'm screwed out of buying that which I want to buy. The inconsistency pointed out by others make this problem rather suspect. If I hadn't been allowed to purchase the previous box sets in the SACD/DVD NTSC version, then I'd be accepting this as being consistent. But that's not the case...

Somebody within band management, EMI and/or the other players involved didn't think this through and protect our interests. Sure, I can purchase the SACD/ PAL version, that's probably best plan for now. But it's a slap in the face for a number of diehard fans. That cannot be forgotten.

This debacle should serve as notice that fans are upset when they cannot purchase what they have become accustomed to and this carelessness should be AVOIDED with the forthcoming live album box and any other future releases.

Guess I got my $35 worth sounding off, but I'd still rather have what I asked for.

Thanks, I'm aware of Plan B to combine to make the 'correct' set, I just wanting to really let them know what a cluster this was.

Back