Genesis 1970-1975 Nov.10/11 2008

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the UK SACD & DVD (pal) version and am in Australia. I have listened extensively to all discs in the SACD in stereo, SACD multi channel and the DVDs in DTS 96/24. Before I give my judgement - let me declare my biases. I usually prefer stereo to multi channel music ... Specifically, with the lamb.... on SACD stereo the bass is just so clear and rumbles through the floor, Peters vocals are outstanding and the mix is excellent. With the DVD 96/24 (and SACD multi), the bass is not quite as punchy (particuarly on Back in New York City - literally shakes the floor and walls in stereo but not quite there in multi). I'm glad I have the option to listen to a high quality audio mix in SACD or on DVD 96/24. I guess it depends on the gear you have and whether you prefer stereo or mult channel music - if you have good gear and are equally disposed to stereo or multi channel music ( I have Marantz SA11S1 SACD, Marantz SACD/DVD audio DV9500, Toshiba HD DVD XED1, Krell KAV 400xi integrated stereo amp, EAD PM 500 amp, Marantz 80003 AV processor, VAF i93 fronts & VAF i91 centre/surrounds), I would highly recommend the SACD set.
Boris
An update: I am a multi channel SACD convert! I have just got an oppo BDP-83 blu ray/SACD/dvd audio player. Listening to the SACD lamb disc on the Oppo via HDMI & DSD on multi ch - absolutely awsome. The bass is stellar (as good as in stereo). It certainly highlights the importance of the set up on your system. Not sure why the Marantz via analogue on multi ch is not giving the WOW factor, but the oppo set up is simple and the result is superb. I can't stop listening to the disc now. Once again, these SACDs are highly recommended. This is as close to multi channel heaven as you can get
Regards
Boris

Reviving an old thread to ask a question:
I recently picked up the CD + DVD box for a reasonable price & I am really enjoying the DVD DTS mixes…are the SACD’s enough of an improvement to drive myself crazy (and broke!) seeking them out?
Thanks in advance, oh wise ones!

I recently picked up the CD + DVD box for a reasonable price & I am really enjoying the DVD DTS mixes…are the SACD’s enough of an improvement to drive myself crazy (and broke!) seeking them out?
No

Can't say I hear any difference when I switch between SACD and DVD-A discs.

I recently picked up a mint condition copy of the SACD/DVD version of Genesis 1970-1975 that was discounted as it was missing The Lamb Dies Down On Broadway. Searching the usual sources finds The Lamb for almost as much as I paid for the rest of the set. If anyone has a lead on a reasonably priced copy I'd greatly appreciate it.

I recently picked up a mint condition copy of the SACD/DVD version of Genesis 1970-1975 that was discounted as it was missing The Lamb Dies Down On Broadway. Searching the usual sources finds The Lamb for almost as much as I paid for the rest of the set. If anyone has a lead on a reasonably priced copy I'd greatly appreciate it.
That’s funny - I almost bought that same set on Discogs - but my wallet stopped me since I already had the CD + DVD box 🤑
Maybe you can find a more reasonable price on CD + DVD of Lamb vs SACD?
So far opinion seems quite high on the DTS mixes on the DVD’s…🤔

Back