Great Doors News!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quadwreck said:
On the Doors' official web page, they have announced that Bruce Botnik has just finished remixing all of the Doors albums for 5.1 DVD Audio.
http://messageboard.thedoors.com/index.php?showtopic=22375

Looks positive. With all of the announced DVD-A's for 2005, and what is being suggested in the pipeline already its looking a much better year that 2004.

All right! I wonder if this, along with the Moodies and Elton John, signals that the record companies are going to be doing more "classic" back catalogues. Well, I've got a no-brainer for them. It's a four-member, seven letter group, beginning with "B" and ending in "les".

You guessed it! I'm a huge Bangles fan. Bring it on...! (What, who did you think I was talking about? The Buggles?)

I'm not huge doors fan but hell it's 5.1 and DVD-audio - they are WEA group so perhaps Warner bros is turning around and doing something again with hires audio..

It's encouraging news!!!

I'll buy the box set especially if it gets released first..

:)

The Doors catalog coming to 5.1 high resolution is truly a cause for celebration! My depressing diatribe about the lack of exciting DVD-A release news is hereby cancelled...... :smokin

:banana: ================== :banana: ================ :banana:

:banana:======================================= :banana:

Last edited:
Wow... the Doors in 5.1... what will they think of next... Running On Empty????:D

I am stunned at the good news. I will however, save the dancing until I actually have the DVD-A's in my hands (I don't want to get too worked up...just to be let down).

I can understand your hesitancy, zabble, and there's a bit of "wait & see" in this for me as well. But the fact that they're talking "box set" as opposed to a single release encourages me to believe this will come to fruition.

beljah said:
I can understand your hesitancy, zabble, and there's a bit of "wait & see" in this for me as well. But the fact that they're talking "box set" as opposed to a single release encourages me to believe this will come to fruition.

I wonder if L.A. Women will be tweaked or if those of us who already have it will end up with an extra copy. You could argue that one could wait until the titles are released separately---after the box set is released---to avoid getting "L.A. Woman" again.

I for one know that I'll be buying the box set---extra "L.A. Woman" or not!

Watch for the flood of "L.A Woman" DVD-As on ebay.

I suspect that L.A. Woman will be a new mix by Bruce Botnick. The existing DVD-A would probably not sit well next to his efforts with the other albums. I found it to be tentative in imaging and mix ideas. Let's have the man who's been there in all of the band's long history.

Wish I could find that old reply letter on Elektra letterhead from Jac Holzman telling me they "would be releasing quad Doors recordings in May". (1973 that is)

timbre4 said:
I suspect that L.A. Woman will be a new mix by Bruce Botnick. The existing DVD-A would probably not sit well next to his efforts with the other albums. I found it to be tentative in imaging and mix ideas. Let's have the man who's been there in all of the band's long history.

Wish I could find that old reply letter on Elektra letterhead from Jac Holzman telling me they "would be releasing quad Doors recordings in May". (1973 that is)
I think the LA Woman may be a new mix too. I don't see the current version for sale in any DVD-A sections anymore. Might want to snap those up if you see one.

Don't forget, the LA WOMAN was available in the original jewel box packaging first, so there are two "versions" out there!

JonUrban said:
Don't forget, the LA WOMAN was available in the original jewel box packaging first, so there are two "versions" out there!

Both versions are available locally. Is it just a matter of one came before the other?

timbre4 said:
Um, Botnick DID do the mix for the "LA Woman" DVD-A. I'd like to see him re-do it, too, actually. Although, I'd probably want a little LESS "experimentation" (i.e., the bouncing drums, etc.).

What worries me more is that "LA Woman" was an 8-track recording. But as you move back into their catalog, we go down to 4 (for the first couple albums, anyway). Probably not much that can be done with those, in terms of surround, unless he replicates the types of mixes used on the Quad "Best Of" album - i.e., the band positioned almost "diagonally" across the front left/rear right (for example), and Morrison dead center. At any rate, my point is, don't expect too much from these.

For me it would work best, if they put all 4-channels of the original multitrack to quad. everything else would be less-surround than this.
Who needs center? me not (sometimes very annoying)

I think only the first album is 4 tracks. I recall somewhere an interview with Ray Manzarek where he said the second album (Strange Days) was recorded on 8 tracks.

Okay so Botnick did L.A. Woman; he must've been playing around with the DAW to see what it would do. Having sobered up now, he can likely make more flattering mixes to support timeless classics. I have reasonable expectations for these efforts, the fidelity increase alone will be amazing...

Taking a cue from the Experience Hendrix marketing machine, there looks to be an effort to clear the decks entirely of the existing versions of album titles, live albums and redundant hits packages, even the t-shirts and logos are going to be updated. It's time to re-introduce the artists...

I believe that to be true on the move to 8 channels on Strange Days; I'd have to wonder if some reductions were made for the 1st LP and some original elements remain that could be sync'd to the masters?

This was true in the case of Beatles recordings; a notable reduction was the Eleanor Rigby string quartet to a mono track later magically appearing spread out in 5.1 for Yellow Submarine sountrack. The individual tracks for the string players were found and utilized...

Back