The Doors “Perception” Box 5.1 Mixes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfectomix

The Doors’ “Perception” box set includes DVD-As with a 5.1 mix of each album, but I’m having trouble confirming - are those 5.1 versions based on the 40th Anniversary remixes, with the alternate vocal bits, studio chatter, etc? Or are they 5.1 versions of the original album mixes?

This is a post from @Steel Woole at SHF back on July 6, 2013:

The Perception Box features 40th Anniversary mixes in stereo & 5.1 Surround Sound on the DVD-As only. The cds in this set seem to be the 1999 remasters ("She gets High!") used in the Cube & Complete Studio Albums boxes.

So, true original mixes ("She get") live on the pre-1999 Elektra cds (2 different masterings, right?, various vinyl offerings (Rhino/Analogue Productions,) and SACDs. Please correct me if I'm wrong as keeping up with this catalog of a mere six studio albums is confusing as hell.

This is a post from @Steel Woole at SHF back on July 6, 2013:

The Perception Box features 40th Anniversary mixes in stereo & 5.1 Surround Sound on the DVD-As only. The cds in this set seem to be the 1999 remasters ("She gets High!") used in the Cube & Complete Studio Albums boxes.

So, true original mixes ("She get") live on the pre-1999 Elektra cds (2 different masterings, right?, various vinyl offerings (Rhino/Analogue Productions,) and SACDs. Please correct me if I'm wrong as keeping up with this catalog of a mere six studio albums is confusing as hell.

Confusing as hell is right. I hadn't even thought of specifying pre- / post-1999 versions of the debut in my original post. My main concern, though, is just trying to get my hands on multichannel discs that aren't the 40th Anniversary revisions, as I find some of the alterations really obtrusive.

Confusing as hell is right. I hadn't even thought of specifying pre- / post-1999 versions of the debut in my original post. My main concern, though, is just trying to get my hands on multichannel discs that aren't the 40th Anniversary revisions, as I find some of the alterations really obtrusive.
I think the multichannel SACDs use the same mix as the Perception box DVD-As, so you may be out of luck. Have you listened to the Atmos mixes on the streaming services?

I think the multichannel SACDs use the same mix as the Perception box DVD-As, so you may be out of luck. Have you listened to the Atmos mixes on the streaming services?

I was checking Discogs this morning, and figured out that you can filter artists and albums by Multichannel versions, which makes it SO much easier to sort this all out! And yeah, it looks like the SACDs also used the 40th Anniversary mixes. As far as I can tell, the only time they ever released a non-40th 5.1 mix was the original DVD-A of L.A. Woman from 2000, so I just snagged that one for now.

(I'm also seeing reviews of the Perception box that note, understandably, that the 5.1 versions of the earlier Doors albums don't have much of a multichannel effect anyway, since there wasn't a whole lot going on with the original master tapes back then. I figure I'll just work my way backward one album at a time. If I like L.A. Woman enough, I'll consider getting Morrison Hotel, and if I like that one, etc etc.)

Yes, I've heard the Atmos mixes, but for reasons not worth getting into here, I find it much preferable and easier to play multichannel content via dedicated discs (even though I do actually own an Apple TV 4K).

(I'm also seeing reviews of the Perception box that note, understandably, that the 5.1 versions of the earlier Doors albums don't have much of a multichannel effect anyway, since there wasn't a whole lot going on with the original master tapes back then. I figure I'll just work my way backward one album at a time. If I like L.A. Woman enough, I'll consider getting Morrison Hotel, and if I like that one, etc etc.)
Also be aware that if it's the first pressing of the Perception box, the DVD-A of the second album is probably rotted.

Also be aware that if it's the first pressing of the Perception box, the DVD-A of the second album is probably rotted.
I recently got this boxset and all discs work fine, how would I know if I have the first or second pressing?

I recently got this boxset and all discs work fine, how would I know if I have the first or second pressing?
I may be mistaken, but I believe you can tell based on the size of the set box. First pressing was much larger with a functional “peephole” while the second pressing box is smaller with enough space just to hold the 6 album digipaks.

I may be mistaken, but I believe you can tell based on the size of the set box. First pressing was much larger with a functional “peephole” while the second pressing box is smaller with enough space just to hold the 6 album digipaks.
Thank you, I have the second small box 👍

That's what my memory is telling me as well. I haven't had time to be on here for a while, thanks for answering!

Second disc , first edition box set

Strange Days......still,.....no sign of rot.

PS (that pattern is a reflection of the ceiling stucco white surface , )

16956819990082406947022563934455.jpg
16956820406584567558337827296612.jpg

I think all but the first title , are pretty good to very good .

The first title is primarily 3 front channels ....with mi -nute ambience.

Second disc , first edition box set

Strange Days......still,.....no sign of rot.
I am an idiot in multiple ways.

First, I can't get it out of my head that "Waiting for the Sun" is the second album even though it isn't.

Second, it isn't that one *or* "Strange Days" that's rotted, it's "Morrison Hotel". The disc looks fine, but Foobar will no longer open it and it locks up in a standalone player.

Back