HDTracks Launches DSD Downloads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming on Friday, Nov. 6th on HDtracks: the first two DSD Downloads from Chesky Records:
The Raven by Rebecca Pidgeon and From The Mountaintop.

From The Mountaintop.jpg

https://twitter.com/CheskyLabel/status/662288421067595778
http://www.hdtracks.com/music/hires/index/?bit_rate=32

And in X2 DSD. I wonder if the music is any good though. The items are already on the site.

And in X2 DSD. I wonder if the music is any good though. The items are already on the site.

The Raven is an audiophile favorite. I'm not familiar with the Mountaintop album, but it has already been requested online as soon as the DSD Downloads news broke.
I'm guessing that we will be seeing more of the Chesky SACD titles as DSD Downloads soon. And some Chesky albums - like Mountaintop - that were not released on SACD.

The party is over on the Sony Music DSD Downloads at HDtracks.
Today the price on these went up from $17.99 to $24.99

Well it was sure nice getting Thriller for about $13. Never would have bought it for $25.

The party is over on the Sony Music DSD Downloads at HDtracks.
Today the price on these went up from $17.99 to $24.99

Wake me up when a nice surround title is offered up in DSD or FLAC download.

U
This thread should really be called "Sony Music Launches Initiative To Sell 15-Year-Old SACD Masters As Digital Downloads" or as they say in England, "money for old rope".

I wish Sony Music would do what King Records in Japan did with their CTI series and just sell newly-created flat transfers of their back catalog in highest resolution DSD and PCM. Sony must have hundreds or thousands of albums in their vault - imagine being able to just log on to Sony's website, peruse the catalog, and download what you wanted, in the resolution/format you wanted, and the type of mix (mono/stereo/quad/5.1) you wanted. Instead we have to wait for them to license all this stuff out to reissue labels, only one of which has shown any interest in releasing multichannel content.
these record labels are sitting on a gold mine, apparently without realising. Love your idea of logging into the label website and purchase the version you want.

It's bad enough when they're the same price, like with the Beach Boys stereo/mono DSD downloads.

And the SACD is 19.98 ... and speaking of browsers Firefox is out now in an IOS version worldwide.

Looks like 1 new DSD title was added this week. Miles Davis Seven Steps (44kHz sources mastered to DSD). Well.... I sure hope the APO SACD that I have wasn't sourced from 44khz.

Last edited:
HD Tracks continues to add DSD Stereo Downloads from Sony Music. This week's additions include Couldn't Stand The Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Interestingly, while Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand The Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughan are available as Stereo DSD Downloads from HD Tracks, they are not available in DSD Download format from Acoustic Sounds.

Couldnt Stand The Weather - HDTracks - DSD.jpg

http://www.hdtracks.com/couldn-t-stand-the-weather-275365?format=DSD

There's 3 DSD versions of those two titles. Sony, MFSL, APO. The DSD version of Couldn't Stand The Weather being offered by HD Tracks has bonus tracks that are not offered on the non-DSD versions on that site.

I've already got the Sony SACDs of both so won't be downloading either one myself.

Back