Hendrix - Electric Ladyland 5.0 DVDA/DVDV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretzcapo

eldvdslipcovervm2.jpg

Special 5.0 version of this classic album, created by Supo from the GART conversion of the West German Polydor CD. Not for sale but only for distribution via the usual trade channels.

DVDV contains Dolby Digital stream at 24/48 and a DTS stream at 24/96
DVDA contains MLP Lossless at 24/96.

Noise Reduction & edits in Nuendo 3.2.1
MLP Lossless encoding via SurCode MLP
DTS 96/24 encoding via DTS-Pro series encoder
Dolby Digital Encoding from 24/48 via Nuendo Dolby Digital Encoder
Sample Rate conversion via Voxengo R8Brain Pro, Ultra Steep Slope, MinPhase mode.

Video_TS created with DVD-Lab Pro, Version 2.0
Audio_TS created with Sonic DVD-Audio Creator, version 3.0.11

Last edited:
Everyone, please keep the public discussion focused on the merits of this title. Public messages regarding the acquisition of this title will be deleted. Fair warning.

The 5.0 surround sound is created by using a combination of center channel extraction filters and cross cancellation techniques. The initial extractions and mixdowns were done in Adobe Audition 2. The effect, due in large part to the matrixing on the stereo using DynaQuad, is amazing. With discrete sounding info in all speakers with sounds traveling around, in patterrns and panning between rears. Listen to Moon ...Turn the Tides for a good taste of this but it seems to be present throughout.

below is some interesting info from "Quad Bob's Words of Wisdom"

-A440Hz

But, if you REALLY want to jump to the earliest modern matrix technology my vote would be for Jimi Hendrix on Electric Ladyland!!!!!<G> This album run through a quadraphonic decoder is extremely discrete and an awesome listening experience. I was never a big Hendrix fan, but after reading the booklet with the MCA re-release CD which included quotes from Jimi in 1968 maybe you can understand why:

"I don't know, for what we was tryin' to get across at the time, it was perfect. You can get 16 tracks in the States, but who needs 16? You need only 4 really. It depends what kind of music you go into."

"All I did was just be there and make sure the right songs were there, and the SOUND was there, we wanted a particular sound. It got lost in the cutting room, because we went on tour right before we finished and actually cut it. We were unable to spend time on it. The engineers re-taped the whole original tape before they pressed the record for Britain and so much was lost. Some of the mix came out kind of muddy, not exactly muddy, but kind of bassey. I think it's cloudy, the sound of it, because we didn't get a chance to do it complete. We mixed it and produced it and then when it was time for them to press it they screwed up because they didn't know what we wanted. There's three-D sound on there that you can't even appreciate
now because they didn't cut it properly. They thought it was out of phase."

Jimi even had the box of master-reels scrawled on with the warning "special phase effects on this tape. DO NOT change phase!"

Now.........that is genius at work!!!!!!!! And, to think Jimi never even got to hear it through one of our high-end quad decoders/synthesizers. It was common practice for studio engineers to remove "out of phase" material from recordings because they thought it muddied up the recording..........Now here was Jimi Hendrix purposefully recording out of
phase.................and quad wasn't even being whispered about then!!

Special 5.0 version of this classic album, created by Supo from the GART conversion of the West German Polydor CD.

What is a "GART" conversion, and what German Polydor CD? The double disc set from the mid eighties? Or the single disc edition from the nineties?

-Kristian

What is a "GART" conversion, and what German Polydor CD? The double disc set from the mid eighties? Or the single disc edition from the nineties?

-Kristian

GART stands for "Good Audio Remixing Technique" briefly described in my previous reply. I just made up the Acroymn for fun. It is a stereo to surround conversion method that combines some elements of the TOUP technique and others into a set of Adobe Audition 2 scripts. The method is continually undergoing refinement but this early version worked very well on this particular recording. Much credit also goes to my good friend at TOUP for sharing many of his techniques with me and the guys at http://www.dtsac3.com.

The front cover of the cd is pictured on the dvd slipcover at top - it's Polydor 823 358-2 Made in West Germany. I purchased it as a new import in the early eighties. It is well known to be among the best sounding EL cd releases. For some extra reading, follow these Steve Hoffman threads:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=65965&highlight=Electric+Ladyland+West+German+Polydor

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=83132&highlight=Electric+Ladyland+West+German+Polydor

http://http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=32511&highlight=Electric+Ladyland+West+German+Polydor

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=37094&highlight=Electric+Ladyland+West+German+Polydor

-A440Hz

If you really want the definitive versions of the early Hendrix albums, then the Hendrix family reissues are unbeatable. They used the original sound engineer and restored the albums to perfection from the original master tapes. I have Experienced, Axis, and Ladyland all on the audiphile 180 gram vinyl editions, and they put every other version out there to shame. All the original out of phase stuff is there on Ladyland.

If you really want the definitive versions of the early Hendrix albums, then the Hendrix family reissues are unbeatable. They used the original sound engineer and restored the albums to perfection from the original master tapes. I have Experienced, Axis, and Ladyland all on the audiphile 180 gram vinyl editions, and they put every other version out there to shame. All the original out of phase stuff is there on Ladyland.

Hmmm, I've only heard the family cd reissues and wasn't impressed. I've been looking for a good source for AYE and Axis conversions so thanks for the heads up. Maybe I can locate a 96/24 needle drop. :D

Last edited:
Interesting. I would love to hear the conversion!
But, it took me 2 weeks or more to d/l true quad DSOTM, I think I'll just do
my own conversion on a stereo source.
Nice graphics, though!

boondocks

Very nice, dig that green tint on reel 2! Maybe one of the many members here with top-notch r2r rigs will jump on that. Though I'd certainly like to have the ultimate source every time, my focus is primarily on the conversion side of things but I'd be happy to be involved in a production using the best recording sources captured with the best known techniques available and would of course enjoy collaborating with anyone who does.

Any chance of a 24/96 transfer?

I've just listened to the first three tracks and I'm very happy with the mix. The front three speakers are balanced well, with Jimi's voice there - but not too dominant. The L/R separation is excellent.

The surrounds are more of a spread of the L/R instead of distinct channels.

Well, since the Mrs just came in to remind me that "this is a work night', I'm shutting it down now. :(

I'll come back later to tell you how the best 20 minutes of my musical listening life turns out ...

There is nothing better than ....

1983 .... (a mermaid I should turn to be)
Moon, turn the tides, gently, gently away
Still raining, still dreaming ... :smokin

btw: the SVS turned on, so there is something in the .1.

Thanks for your effort, fretzcapo, it is greatly, greatly appreciated.

I'm back to say that I love this mix.

It's better than my vinyl, and the reprise CD release.

I defy anyone to tell me that the symbols on Moon ... are not discrete.

Good job. :banana:

I'm back to say that I love this mix.

It's better than my vinyl, and the reprise CD release.

I defy anyone to tell me that the symbols on Moon ... are not discrete.

Good job. :banana:

That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks very much for the feedback, I've been waiting to get your your impressions from your further listen past the first three songs Maybe others here will jump on the torrent and check it out so they can enjoy it too.:smokin

I was thinking you meant cymbols but was then wondering if you were having flashbacks due the added dimension.:D

Cymbols?

Doh!

Since I'm now watching the burning plane fly over, on the Pulse version of DSOM, perhaps my mind might be in another place.

Great job again, fretzcapo. :phones

I finally obtained a copy, and the depth/richness of sound on the DVDA exceeded my expectation especially considering the CD source. This disc should be listened to with full size surround speakers since the rear surrounds are used just as extensively as the front speakers. Jimi would smile on this effort. :sun

I just listened to it on the weekend - outstanding! It will take a lot of critical listening to fully check it out...it's like having new ears all of a sudden.

Back