Hopes up for Genesis Live Boxset

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed on all that. :) A little more followup from Genesis-music.com posts where I was given a 'conformation' from Nick Davis dated July 7th:

"everything that is having a 5.1 release will have both dolby digital and dts soundtracks. there will be a second box containing the 3 sides live video in 5.1 plus the tracks from the album that are not covered."

Thank you I truely needed that. I don't mean to be negative but I sincerely feel "toyed with" after that SACD non NTSC box 3 debacle....

We'll do this all again when they figure out what to do for BluRay when Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA let us hear what we would've had on SACD or (gasp!) DVD-A.

There's something else cooking in the world of Genesis in 5.1...

On October 19, Tony Banks' first album, "A curious feeling", will be rereleased in CD and 5.1. I even think it would be worth a separate thread, as this album is (imho) a real masterpiece. I don't know how it will sound in surround, though.

Ok guys, no-one talked about it but today I've found the live boxset (CD/DVD) in a cd section of a record store along with the 1983/1997 one.
First thing I notice is that it was the only one available and it's NTSC!!
The latest were PAL here in europe
It's a grey boxset and here are some info
live.jpg

I can understand the absence of TSL/TWWW dvd in order to push a bit more the next box, "the movie", due in November. Too bad there's no SACD logo anywhere.
However, despite the press releases, seems to be 24/96 DTS and not only DD.
Any info if these are available also separately, as for the other boxes? I know many ones that will go for "Seconds out" alone.
(and not, i'm not giving out my promo japan BT :) )

Luca, what's the veredict? The samples online sound really good!
Can you notice/hear the overdubs in "Live" and "@Rainbow"?

Well for DVD content in 5.1 it's a full 10 for me, speaking of overdubs I don't think they did any on this one (you could notice there's no mention for Peter Gabriel or Steve Hackett copyrights).

Genesis Live : I didn't listen to it in years but it looks like it was not touched. Some of the original voice effect was lost (?) (i.e. The Knife) and sounds a bit different but it's the original version for sure.
This one has as bonus material excerpts taken from the live at Shrine Auditorium in L.A. in 1975
It was overdubbed when it came out on Genesis Archive 1969/1976 cd boxset, I suppose not here since Mr. Gabriel's performance has the same mistakes that are present on Wolfgang's Vault)

Seconds Out mix is outstanding, bass is present as if you were there (on Afterglow I started crying like a baby) and I didn't notice overdubs

Live at Rainbow : this is the third version I have, one comes from a bootleg cd I bought years ago, the other taken from Genesis Archive and this one.
I still have to listen to it carefully though...

Ordered my box through Amazon for $108 which I thought was a pretty good price. Can't wait to hear Seconds Out as it is one of my top 5 live albums of all time.

Well , OK, I guess I'll get it (especially if it's sans ODs by PG and SH...
just need a job SOON!
What is disappoiting is that 3 sides Live will be faux 5.1 since I believe that the masters were... lost (!?)
Thanks Luca...

Luca is right. Genesis Live '73 materials have no overdubs but vocal effects on The Knife had omitted.
and Rainbow takes have re-recordings by Tony,Steve and Peter. Shrine takes are almost no re-recording.
but both lives are not the same as Archive materials.
Sound quality is unbelievable. it's quite excellent from the original issues,
but surround mix is not enough for me, means it is not spectacular surround.
I feel the same like as "Trick" surround mix. but Nick did a good job on it.
Hajime

Back