Integrating quad receiver into system.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLJLC

Here's a noobie question if there ever was one. I'm considering buying a Technics quad receiver from the local vintage music store so I can decode vinyl and listen live, rather than with software.

I see three options to output the sound. (a) 4 speaker outs, (b) 4 RCA tape outs, (c) something called "4 channel MPX out."

A is not an option because I have so much sweat equity involved in wiring my speakers through my walls that I'd prefer not to put more speakers in. As far as I can tell MPX is only for a dead FM format. This leaves (b). My primary receiver is a yamaha rxv1065 and has multi-channel inputs which are currently in use, but i could reroute them. It seems from my research that I could run the 4 RCAs through the front and surround multi channel inputs. I won't have the subwoofer, but I'll get the four discrete channels.

Just curious if others have integrated quad receivers, or if they are running two separate systems (i.e. quad receiver and 4 speakers, then bluray etc. and a 5.1 receiver and another set of speakers). Or, maybe I'm missing something obvious.

I used to use a slight variation on what you are contemplating, using the processor loop from my Pioneer receiver, and it worked just fine. I don't seem why the tape outs wouldn't work just as well. Also, you can switch three up-to-5.1 sources (so quad will be fine) with this cheap device, if you don't want to swap wires all the time:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BVIBGI...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000BVIBGI

Even though it's a "video" switcher, all of the paths are completely passive with no additional resistance, which seems to be a problem with some switchers of this type.

Back