INVOLVE SQ - IS HERE

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Wagonmaster 91

Think of the SM as a pick and place machine, nothing is added or subtracted OVERALL just placed hopefully where it should be. For example in the stereo mix you may have front stuff mixed with applause, in the decoded version the same overall content is there but the applause will be removed from the front and just present in the back.

Hope that confuses you even more!

Regards

Chucky

My order is placed and I'm looking forward to putting the decoder through its paces.

Question: Does the Involve decoder (in any mode including synthesis mode) alter the front left and right channels? Obviously it utilizes the front channels to create the rear (and center) channels, but does it add, subtract or alter the original front L&R channels?

For that matter, do ANY of the legacy decoders (Tate, Sansuis, Lafayettes, Sonys, EV, Fosgates, etc) alter the original front channels?

Hi Wagonmaster 91

Think of the SM as a pick and place machine, nothing is added or subtracted OVERALL just placed hopefully where it should be. For example in the stereo mix you may have front stuff mixed with applause, in the decoded version the same overall content is there but the applause will be removed from the front and just present in the back.

Hope that confuses you even more!

Regards

Chucky

No, not confused and that was exactly what I was asking. I realize the information (the applause in your example) would still be in the front channels, but now decoder-treated sonically masked and much more prominent in the rear channels. This will figure into how I wire the Involve decoder in my signal chain. (My system is bit "involved" itself, utilizing two QT-1's, 3 Zektors, various other switching units and multiple amps. My son once said that turning on my system is like starting up a commercial airliner....) Thanks for clarifying, Charles.

Other than the SPEC program, I don't think any other quad or 5.1 decoder affects the front channels in synthesis modes. Anyone know?

Other than the SPEC program, I don't think any other quad or 5.1 decoder affects the front channels in synthesis modes. Anyone know?

Not sure about this, but I understand, based upon listening (with bad ears) that Sansui VarioMatrix in synthesizer mode actually does affect front channels. In fact, my only real objection to VM in synth mode is that the front channels sound somewhat compressed and lackluster, and lacking bottom-end punch - otherwise, great separation all around. (I have a QS-D1000).

Am I right, or what?

John

Last edited:
Hi All SQ extremists

I suspect most of you that have recently purchased the SQ Vinyl package should have just got them or will in the next day or so.

Any reports????

Regards

Chucky

Mine is always on! Everything that's not SQ or QS gets synthesized via the Surround Master. I can't buy matrix quad vinyl quick enough and the results are nothing short of remarkable, I am so very happy with mine!

Hi All SQ extremists

I suspect most of you that have recently purchased the SQ Vinyl package should have just got them or will in the next day or so.

Any reports????

Regards

Chucky

Not had much chance to play with it but the few times I have the results have been.. staggeringly good.
(Initial thoughts.. "Can this really be the same SQ system I've seen disparaged from time to time over the years..?")

Right off I played discs I've been desperate to hear the Quads of but conversions are either hard to find or non-existent.. with some nice results.. since then I've tried to prioritise those discs I already knew had tracks that do round the room pans, to try out the channel placement and steering as much as anything.. and so far = so very good..! :upthumb

The following 360 pans perform superbly thru the Surround Master SQ Vinyl ;
O'Jays/Ship Ahoy "For The Love Of Money",
Chase/1st LP "Open Up Wide",
The Miracles/Love Crazy (in the intro to the track "Spy For Brotherhood"... there's a bit where the "spy guy" is at the airport, a plane flies overhead from front to back.. woosh.. thats cool.. and then the spy guy runs round the room while being chased, his hurried footsteps go from front right to rear right to rear left to front left - even cooler.)

...other discs I've tried out do some hilarious and wacky things.. from a thunder storm at the start of side 1, to animal noises a-go-go at the end of Earth Wind & Fire's "Head To The Sky" album.. to a group of sultry lasses giving Johnnie Taylor some smooth front to back panned backing vocals in his "Ear'gasm" album -- "Johnnie.. Johnnie.. Johhnie.. Johnnie.. Johnnie" washes over you, its quite something.. I guess the Q8 does the same thing? Or maybe its an Involve SQ bonus! Whatever it is, its a hoot!

It will take some time to do these old LPs and the Involve unit justice but I'm hoping to set aside some "me time" in the next month(s).. and will update with feedback on each QQ Poll and thread as and when I plough through them all in the fulness of time.

A heartfelt "Thank You" to you Chucky, to David (QQ Member: Overture) and all the guys at Involve for creating this mini marvel that takes 40 year old SQ encoded records and transforms them into Quadraphonic gems.

Last edited:
FYI - I hadn't listened to the "Chase - Open Up Wide" track on my old SQ Surround Master set-up but just played it on my new SQ Vinyl set-up from this sampler:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ER-The-Full-Spectrum-of-Quadraphonic-Sound-SQ

Wow! The horn at the start comes through quite nicely (one speaker at a time) in all the channels...(y)

It's amazing isn't it! :D

I got a tiny amount of bleed when the trumpets did their round the room thing.. only discernible by putting my ear right up to - on top of in fact - a speaker where a discrete trumpet blast was not happening.. it was so faint I couldn't detect if it was intentional very muted ambience, crosstalk inherent in the SQ system or something else to do with the SQ encode on the disc or (most likely scenario of all!) some setup issue my end.

Immaterial for time being anyway as working all weekend and packing next week for the move.. :yikes ..so no more listening for a while.. but once I'm settled in new place and on my Quad holiday I'll get a MOTU interface and dissect the 4 individually SQ decoded channels and report back! All very exciting to look forward to! :p

I received my SQ Involve unit yesterday and cannot believe my ears. My SQ and QS albums have never sounded so good, and I am finally getting clear inputs for my project of encoding to digital files on my computer so I can play these albums as they were meant to be heard on my home entertainment system. I have owned quadraphonic equipment since the seventies, and amassed a large collection of albums of every format. I have struggled mightily to digitize like I did with all my stereo albums, and this is the first time I am happy with the results. I am running my turntable through the Involve box into an E-MU 1616M sound card that allows four channel input, capturing into Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, then using Audacity to convert into AC3 files with blank center and sub-woofer channels. I am using VLC media player to playback through my Yamaha RXA3000 in direct mode.

Thank you Chucky and team for creating this beautiful solution. I can't wait for the day you add CD-4 capability!

Bob

I received my SQ Involve unit yesterday and cannot believe my ears. My SQ and QS albums have never sounded so good, and I am finally getting clear inputs for my project of encoding to digital files on my computer so I can play these albums as they were meant to be heard on my home entertainment system. I have owned quadraphonic equipment since the seventies, and amassed a large collection of albums of every format. I have struggled mightily to digitize like I did with all my stereo albums, and this is the first time I am happy with the results. I am running my turntable through the Involve box into an E-MU 1616M sound card that allows four channel input, capturing into Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, then using Audacity to convert into AC3 files with blank center and sub-woofer channels. I am using VLC media player to playback through my Yamaha RXA3000 in direct mode.

Thank you Chucky and team for creating this beautiful solution. I can't wait for the day you add CD-4 capability!

Bob
You should see if you can get VLC to play multichannel FLAC. Or try Foobar. Then you can listen lossless instead of AC3.

You should see if you can get VLC to play multichannel FLAC. Or try Foobar. Then you can listen lossless instead of AC3.

I playback Multichannel WAVs on VLC (really I'm clueless with all this stuff and don't know my FLAC from my Foobar) even though VLC is a basic piece of software it tends to play ball with quite a lot of formats so I'd guess it does MCh FLAC ok but the Surround WAVs work so I stuck with that, fwiw.

Hi

Yes that's right, we sent an extra in case you stuff it up. Instructions should also be in the package.

Regards

Chucky

Enjoy the SQ Vinyl - it does the trick for me...

Hey Chucky.. I only got one chip.. Did you trust me?

Hey there all,

If you haven't listened to "An introduction to the world of SQ quadraphonic sound" yet, it sounds really really good through the SM SQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMALh1tMklQ

Cheers
~Bitch

Oh yes! It's wonderful! I play it a lot (as you can see.. >>) and always start with "open up wide".. which with its 360 degree round the room pans is a perfect channel check!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...le-SQ-QS-RM-EV&p=261269&viewfull=1#post261269

Back