Issue Playing Back Burned DVD-Audio Disc on Sony UBP-x800m2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. I have a chart somewhere. Generally, I have only done 5.0 or 5.1 DVDA authoring in recent times. In modern times I do Quad with empty C and LFE. Whether that affects the bit rate or not I don't know, I suspect not. Haven't looked.
Empty C and LFE does affect the bit rate. In LPCM it is the same size as actual content, and unfortunately MLP is pretty bad at compressing silence. I'm not saying you shouldn't add silent C and LFE, but they're not free even in MLP. Now FLAC on the other hand is very good at compressing silence.

Empty C and LFE does affect the bit rate. In LPCM it is the same size as actual content, and unfortunately MLP is pretty bad at compressing silence. I'm not saying you shouldn't add silent C and LFE, but they're not free even in MLP. Now FLAC on the other hand is very good at compressing silence.
Well I guess it is what it is, Owen, I don't doubt that, though I normally don't pay attention if it will fit on a single layer disc. Whatever the outcome, with mlp encoding one can get far more on a disc so that's the good thing.
The problem with discWelder is that between the last two (now ancient) versions, one does double layer discs better for some strange reason. But normally what I do is confined to single layer discs; that will cover your average album + slides/ custom menu.
discWelder can be a real bear sometimes with custom menu, at least the way I sometimes do it as an "active menu". Shortcomings of the program and myself for not being sharper in PhotoShop and layers.

Resample to 24/48
Use the encoder to encode to DTS
Open Audiomuxer and load your files and make a DVD .iso
Burn to a DVD+R disc.

Alternately keep the files at 44kHz.
Encode to CD DTS
I can burn a DVD-Video with 24/48 PCM audio, no need to DTS encode. I’ll have to look up the DTS CD thing, thanks.

Many thanks... I've taken the plunge and ordered this DVD-Audio version, despite the fact I already have it on SACD ;)

I'm looking forward to backing it up and checking out its properties.

EDIT: Oh look, it's all there in black and white on the back of the case: -
800.png

So the stereo is encoded at 96/24 but the multi-channel is encoded at 44.1/24. What an utterly weird format DVD-Audio is/was. Did anybody really know what to do with it for the best? Bonkers!

Cheers

Last edited:
lplex, it seems to be pretty simple (though I’ve only used it once so I might be missing some pain points)
Yes... But Iplex isn't creating multi-channel DVD-Audio compliant discs, it's creating multi-channel DVD-Video compliant discs!
Capture.PNG

So it has nothing to do with DVD-Audio, which is what we're talking about here...

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure most of us know of someone who is knowledgeable on DVD-As. Dr. Mark Waldrep built a decent business (AIX records) recording and selling them, and as far as I know, he’s still around and answering emails.

Well the expert to me will always be Neil Wilkes. I picked up a lot of tips from him.
But I use discWelder and he moved on from that a long time ago to Sonic. But Sonic runs on XP and I'm not set up for that. Sonic is from what I understand is THE best authoring program for DVDA. Complex. But I've not tried it.
Actually I think Neil authored just one commercial DVDA on discWelder before he moved on to the more capable Sonic.

Pretty sure he does not much DVDA these days, probably mostly BD authoring and other things.

Many thanks... I've taken the plunge and ordered this DVD-Audio version, despite the fact I already have it on SACD ;)

View attachment 99442
So the stereo is encoded at 96/24 but the multi-channel is encoded at 44.1/24. What an utterly weird format DVD-Audio is/was. Did anybody really know what to do with it for the best? Bonkers!

Cheers
Might be the way it is to fit on the disc space, especially if it's a single layer disc, + it has the VIDEO_TS folder with the lossy DD and maybe DTS. So that might even go beyond a single to a double layer disc depending on size of content. The only reason the VIDEO_TS folder with the lossy is there is to be compatible with non-DVDA capable DVD players. I used to author them that way but quit some years ago authoring with DVDLab Pro which I used to make the lossy content/VIDEO_TS folder.

Fortunately, the DVD-Video and DVD-Audio content/data is spread across both layers, neither is confined to a specific layer.

The last DVD-Audio disc I made (earlier in the year) contained lpcm.mlp encoded audio only placed within the AUDIO_TS folder, with nothing encoded within the discs VIDEO_TS folder, not even a menu. It played okay on my OPPO but who knows if it will on other makes/models of DVD-Audio compatible players!

Fortunately, the DVD-Video and DVD-Audio content/data is spread across both layers, neither is confined to a specific layer.

The last DVD-Audio disc I made (earlier in the year) contained lpcm.mlp encoded audio only placed within the AUDIO_TS folder, with nothing encoded within the discs VIDEO_TS folder, not even a menu. It played okay on my OPPO but who knows if it will on other makes/models of DVD-Audio compatible players!
The VIDEO_TS is not required to have content on a DVDA disc. It's just there mostly for compatibility with non -DVDA capable DVD players.
Like I say, I used to author content for the Video folder but no longer do these days. so like you say the lossless audio will all be in the AUDIO_TS folder.
In fact the audio in the AUDIO_TS folder is required to be lossless.

View attachment 99442

Cheers
that 'Marvin Gaye Collection' disc has it's own backstory and set of circumstances as to why it was in that resolution when it was later reissued on DVD-Audio.

the original 5.1 mixes engineered by Brant S. Biles were produced by DTS back in 1997, before DVD-Audio's rollout, at 48kHz/24-bit resolution and initially released only on DTS CD as a compilation called "Forever Yours".

IMG_3669.jpeg

IMG_3668.jpeg

IMG_3670.jpeg

IMG_3671.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, yes, but seeing as this is a thread about how specific Sony players can't play burned DVD-Audio discs I made a post asking if there were any alternative disc formats for 24/44 music. I was responding to some folks who responded to that post.
If you want to go the DVD route then you just need a program that will create a disc the Sony can recognize.
Will the Sony play from a network drive like the Oppo's do? If so you could bypass creating a disc or using a USB stick if the files are in a format the Sony player recognizes. Or you could just plug a USB HDD in and use that as Tim mentioned.

My point would be that this won’t be the only surround FLAC download, so why not consider a long-term simple solution.
I’ve got a bunch of commercial discs. I’ve got a few favorites that are not on discs. I’d love to burn those favorites on discs so I can put them all together on a shelf. I have other ways of listening to these files. I just want to put them on a shelf.

Right now the solutions I can think of are:
1. Upsampling and burning a DVD-Video disc or
2. Burning a DVD-Audio disc and buying a different player.

Back