Jeff Beck Group & Birds of Fire - Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACDs (August 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my order in at importCD. We'll see how they deliver. IT says that the Jeff Beck Group SACD is on back order, but I expect them to ship very soon anyway.

I have my order in at importCD. We'll see how they deliver. IT says that the Jeff Beck Group SACD is on back order, but I expect them to ship very soon anyway.

Same here. I just ordered both titles now from them as well. Although folks' mileage will vary, a guesstimate would be "In Stock" on day of release this Tuesday, with shipping coming at anytime soon before or after the 18th.

Both titles should give the surround systems a workout - very cool Quad mixes.

Both titles should give the surround systems a workout - very cool Quad mixes.

When I was 14 and 15 years old and had my first Beck albums I preferred BBA or the next era of five or so albums the followed. Now that I am older I can get into The Jeff Beck Group much more than previously.

I got Birds of Fire in 1984 when I was 24. I've always felt it was amazing playing and in need of a more involving mix. My SQ LP I have never heard decided, but it's gotta be a more fun rude than the stereo mix. It'll be interesting to see what KG can do with the two-chan mix so far as smooth out the dry starchy sound of the upper highs. At least I have heard it that way. This album never had the sq of a Return to Forever album IMO.

Attachments

• skinas_edit.jpg
    skinas_edit.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 165
Kevin Gray is the best, along with Gus Skinas.

In your opinion, of course. I have heard more Hoffman masterings that I like than Gray's.
Dont get me wrong, Kevin Gray is no slouch either, and Hoffman has his faults, but sometimes I find Gray's masterings to be a bit flat.

In your opinion, of course. I have heard more Hoffman masterings that I like than Gray's.
Dont get me wrong, Kevin Gray is no slouch either, and Hoffman has his faults, but sometimes I find Gray's masterings to be a bit flat.
Gray has been doing a better job with SACDs than what he did with gold CDs. Yep, he did some lousy ones: Billy Joel Glass Houses and the two Simon & Garfunkel ones.

He's never done one that pierces your ears though. For example, SH mastering of Time Life Legends.

I always felt that Hoffman shines on material with natural vocals and acoustic instruments, like Jazz, Classical, or folk type recordings, or pop like Bread. When rock music is involved, and especially processed type of stuff with loud punchy production, I am less impressed. SH makes things sound natural and authentic, when some material sounds better to me brash, hard and punchy.

The Montrose CD I did not like, it did not have the sparkle of my original LP. That is an example of a processed hard rock recording that should jump outta the speaker at you. The AF gold, is polite and natural, not right imo. Judas Priest and Scorpions I'd take Kevin G over Steve H in most cases. They are both great at mastering. I just think SH is great at getting things like vocals to sound right, and keeping things from being too bright or brash.

I have not heard the ZZ Top vinyl SH did, but it was supposed to brighten up a very dull mix, yet that series stopped using SH after a very few records, and I think KG continued without SH. I'd still like to hear what a "brightened up" mix sounds like to SH.

I always felt that Hoffman shines on material with natural vocals and acoustic instruments, like Jazz, Classical, or folk type recordings, or pop like Bread. When rock music is involved, and especially processed type of stuff with loud punchy production, I am less impressed. SH makes things sound natural and authentic, when some material sounds better to me brash, hard and punchy.

The Montrose CD I did not like, it did not have the sparkle of my original LP. That is an example of a processed hard rock recording that should jump outta the speaker at you. The AF gold, is polite and natural, not right imo. Judas Priest and Scorpions I'd take Kevin G over Steve H in most cases. They are both great at mastering. I just think SH is great at getting things like vocals to sound right, and keeping things from being too bright or brash.

That's a good assessment of his style.

Gray has been doing a better job with SACDs than what he did with gold CDs. Yep, he did some lousy ones: Billy Joel Glass Houses and the two Simon & Garfunkel ones.

For the S&G ones, he had to deal with old 16bit/44.1kHz copies from the 80's as sources IIRC. I think his mastering philosophy prevents him to polish the mixes "too much". So, he might be limited by the source (as every mastering engineers are, to various degrees).

He's never done one that pierces your ears though. For example, SH mastering of Time Life Legends.

Never heard these ones, there weren't enough tracks I liked.

Now Birds of Fire to me has a starchy sounding upper mid to treble area on the stereo mix. It will be interesting to see if this can be corrected completely by KG, and if this sound is also a part of the quad mix?

Either way I can get I into it in 4-chan regardless, the mix should be quite a ride.

And both this and the Jeff Beck might be in better hands with KG mastering them.

Now Birds of Fire to me has a starchy sounding upper mid to treble area on the stereo mix. It will be interesting to see if this can be corrected completely by KG, and if this sound is also a part of the quad mix?

Either way I can get I into it in 4-chan regardless, the mix should be quite a ride.

And both this and the Jeff Beck might be in better hands with KG mastering them.

Remember that Kevin Gray's mastering is on the SACD Stereo and CD Stereo tracks only.
Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center does the mastering and transfers for the SACD Multichannel tracks.

"Birds of Fire" is blowing my mind!! It sounds sooo good! Thank You Audio Fidelity for making life a little better.:sun

Mine should be arriving on Monday or Tuesday, but I got a delay notice from Best Buy on the Orange Album saying that they'll let me know the estimated delivery date. Had to use my Best Buy points, but it seems they're a bit low on the food chain when it comes to distribution of Audio Fidelity discs.

Mine should be arriving on Monday or Tuesday, but I got a delay notice from Best Buy on the Orange Album saying that they'll let me know the estimated delivery date. Had to use my Best Buy points, but it seems they're a bit low on the food chain when it comes to distribution of Audio Fidelity discs.

It shows as in stock on their web site.

Availability for 84057Edit

Get it by:
Wed, Sep 2
Standard
Wed, Aug 26
Expedited
Tue, Aug 25
Express

It shows as in stock on their web site.

Availability for 84057Edit

Get it by:
Wed, Sep 2
Standard
Wed, Aug 26
Expedited
Tue, Aug 25
Express

At least I'll have Birds Of Fire to listen to in the meantime while I wait. Hopefully, what you saw shows that they got the Jeff Beck disc quicker than expected - thanks.

"Birds of Fire" is blowing my mind!! It sounds sooo good! Thank You Audio Fidelity for making life a little better.:sun

Yes, it's a winner. Although I have to say I'm enjoying The Jeff Beck Group in Multichannel SACD just a bit more! :)

Mine shipped Friday (Orange album), says "out for delivery today" (combined order), I'm watching the window for the postman. It's going to be a great night.

edited for senility: Sorry for my first post. It's still going to be a great night.

Last edited:
Back