DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - A (A LA MODE Edition) [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - A (A LA MODE Edition)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
A definite 10 for me. I truly love this album, and I think this remix represents a significant improvement over the original mix. The stereo remix is my go-to version for mobile listening while the 5.1 is the only way to experience this album at home.
i have also enjoyed the live audio and video extras, so I couldn’t find any flaw in this release. Perhaps, it’s only a DVD and not a BD? Or that the flat transfer is not as good as the remaster of the original Mix? Anyway, I’m thrilled to have the flat transfer and get to hear how it sounded back then.
I also like the artwork and i quite like this new JT. To me, it is a better entry point than older albums. I personally struggle with A Passion Play or This Was. This one is so much better musically.
I don’t give many 10s, but this one is close to perfection for me.

Mix: 5/5: Sensible placements, discrete, some panning!
Sound: 4/5: Clear enough and the bass bits are good (e.g synths, toms), but a bit of 70s muddiness i.e. slight loss of top end? Also the vocals sometimes sound weird (telephone box). So I think it's sounding as planned but that is not perfect.
Music: 3/5: Will take some getting used to, but catchy, hooky, modernised version of 70s Tull. It sounds ok to me, not too 80s. Very good, guitar almost constantly.

Weighted score = 3*5 + 2*4 + 1*3 = 15+8+3 = 26/30 = 8.66/10 = 9/10 for the album alone.

Plus bonus tracks... some in 5.1
Video album (not watched yet)

The live album is also a good surround mix. Not as good as the studio but another very generous bonus.

Also, it's pretty easy to edit the start and end of Crossfire (Extended Version) onto the 5.1 so that you get a 5.1 extended version. (It's the same as the LP version but has an intro section and longer fade out.)

Back