Jethro Tull Stand Up Elevated Edition 5.1 (2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without a doubt, this sounds amazing for being as old as it is.

Does anyone else wonder why the vocals on "We Used To Know" are so darn quiet? I can't imagine the amount of time and effort Steven Wilson puts into one of these remixes, but the vocals on this tune seem like a big oversight.

Edit: I wasn't previously familiar with the original album, and now listening to the flat transfer of the original stereo mix, it's clear that Steven Wilson was staying true to the original.

The 5.1 mix is good but ...,,,,,
I actually prefer the 2.0 remix on this occasion. Sound is stunning!

I just got past my first listen. This isn't a Tull album I knew well back in the day, I was young when it came out, and in my teens I first "discovered" Tull with the release of the Aqualung album. Eventually I bought the older releases of Benefit, and the US Living in the Past album, but I always felt like Stand Up was too much like This Was (which I did not like), so I avoided it.

Was I wrong. This stuff rocks. Play it loud:spot

Another great release. Another great mix. Fidelity is pretty unbelievable for 1969. The archive video performances are very entertaining and show a very early Tull learning to fly. I even like the slide show.

Living in the Past, A New Day Yesterday and We Used to Know are awesome in surround.

Bring on the Poll. This is gonna score very well.

Does anyone else have glitches in Bouree (Morgan Version)? The DTS surround version will not play through without stopping on my Oppo. I cannot even switch sources while the DTS is playing. The Dolby AC3 version does not play through either. The stereo version does not play through either. Bummer be upon me.

Does anyone else have glitches in Bouree (Morgan Version)? The DTS surround version will not play through without stopping on my Oppo. I cannot even switch sources while the DTS is playing. The Dolby AC3 version does not play through either. The stereo version does not play through either. Bummer be upon me.

No, no problems on my Oppo. Sorry to rub it in but that particular track was probably the best sounding one in 5.1

I still feel the stereo remix is absolutely stunning on this disc.

Sometimes I get skipping if I am using HDMI 1 & 2 (rear panel) at the same time on my Oppo 105. I disconnect HDMI 1 as a workaround.

Edit: Not on Stand Up - I don't own that - but happens on other discs I own.

Funny you should mention this, I have a Cambridge Audio BD650, which I think is based on the Oppo. That totally freezes up occasionally on some of the Tull DTS tracks, it did it on both Stand Up and Benefit yesterday. Others DTS mixes I have can do the same, it basically crashes the player and it requires a power cycle to sort itself out. God knows what it is, I've been meaning to ask Neil W if knows anything about it. They seem fine on my Panasonic player though...

Try clearing persistent storage and see if you still get the problems...

Funny you should mention this, I have a Cambridge Audio BD650, which I think is based on the Oppo. That totally freezes up occasionally on some of the Tull DTS tracks, it did it on both Stand Up and Benefit yesterday. Others DTS mixes I have can do the same, it basically crashes the player and it requires a power cycle to sort itself out. God knows what it is, I've been meaning to ask Neil W if knows anything about it. They seem fine on my Panasonic player though...

I have the same player and the same issue with the Tull DTS discs (they play fine on my old Pioneer). I tried clearing persistent storage as suggested but to no affect. Strangely, I don't recall ever having an issue with other DTS discs.

I have the same player and the same issue with the Tull DTS discs (they play fine on my old Pioneer). I tried clearing persistent storage as suggested but to no affect. Strangely, I don't recall ever having an issue with other DTS discs.

Yep it definitely does it on most of the Tull discs on the Cambridge Audio, to be honest I can't recall any other specific discs doing the same but I'm sure there have been one or two. I checked the persistent storage and it was already completely empty. All of them are flawless in my Panasonic too! I was hoping Neil Wilkes might chip in as I think he authored a lot of them and may know a technical reason but I don't know how to 'tag' him, if anyone else knows how to tag someone in a post please share how...

Yep it definitely does it on most of the Tull discs on the Cambridge Audio, to be honest I can't recall any other specific discs doing the same but I'm sure there have been one or two. I checked the persistent storage and it was already completely empty. All of them are flawless in my Panasonic too! I was hoping Neil Wilkes might chip in as I think he authored a lot of them and may know a technical reason but I don't know how to 'tag' him, if anyone else knows how to tag someone in a post please share how...

I wish Neil Wilkes was authoring the Jethro Tull discs as then they would probably be DVDA-V instead of just DVD-V like the way Ray Shulman is authoring them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish Neil Wilkes was authoring the Jethro Tull discs as then they would probably be DVDA-V instead of just DVD-V like the way Ray Shulman is authoring them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mistake, it gets confusing! Neil may still know of any technical issues though, unless Ray's on here of course...

My player is a Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD. When I played the DVD disc, it played fine all the way through until it got to Bouree (Morgan version), at which point it skipped several times but eventually corrected itself.

Since then, it hasn't happened at all - it plays perfectly each time. Strange.

I have not had any other problems playing DTS DVDs in general.

Back