Just got my Quad Aretha from Rhino!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkNovak

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Just got my mail with an envelope from Rhino!

IMG_3482.jpg

Nice package, just like CTA - vintage label art, mini-LP sleeve, Quadradisc repro inner sleeve and obi in a self-sealing protective envelope. Quick, Batman -- to the Bat-DVD Player! :banana:

Need to wait for it... ok, now that's real... what's next? Please, before Christmas!

Yes, just got mine 15 minutes ago and I'm listening to it. Wow, it pop's is my first impression. It goes this time to the Dolby Digital stream first automatically with the cover art showing up and then fading with just the song title showing during the song. I'm glad I own this. Might be my new "go to" Quad title to play for friends who have not heard any Quadraphonic music yet.

Thanks Rhino for this release, good job, keep them coming! (y)

with the cover art showing up and then fading with just the song title showing during the song.

I'm looking forward to when mine arrives! Say... Does the song title scroll across the screen or bounce around? Just wondering about it from a plasma burn-in standpoint. Granted, it's not that big of a deal either way seeing as how I've got tons of discs with static images on them already.

I'm looking forward to when mine arrives! Say... Does the song title scroll across the screen or bounce around? Just wondering about it from a plasma burn-in standpoint. Granted, it's not that big of a deal either way seeing as how I've got tons of discs with static images on them already.

It's possible you could see the word "Respect" burned into your plasma T.V. next time you watch "Big Brother." :D

No.. The title of the songs do not move around from what I could see, but are there during the whole song. I suppose one could turn off the T.V. once you've selected DTS if that's your choice. I usually don't leave the set on anyway when listening to surround.

OK, I've just heard the whole thing through... very nice!! I'd forgotten how much I enjoy hearing the extended and alternate versions of some of these songs. The mix opens up in a few places - on "Spanish Harlem", for instance, Don Arnone's Spanish guitar riff is loud and clear instead of compressed into the mix. And I love hearing Carolyn and Emma flying out of the rear speakers :)

I was a little concerned too when my disc began playing the DD stream by default; pulled out my rack to see if the optical cable had fallen out of the receiver again (cat likes to play with it), and after a moment remembered to hit the "Audio" key on my remote...Ah! There's the DTS stream. Much better :)

I'm very impressed. Can't wait for the next title, whatever it may be!

How much of a problem is screen burn in these days? I will eventually be making some dvd's from my quad-8's and was going to use a simple graphic of the album with the titles (see my intro, equipments, comments and questions at the New Members Only thread, as I'd love some feedback.) Is 30-60 minutes of the same album graphic that big a deal with today's screens (CRT or plasma)?

How much of a problem is screen burn in these days? I will eventually be making some dvd's from my quad-8's and was going to use a simple graphic of the album with the titles (see my intro, equipments, comments and questions at the New Members Only thread, as I'd love some feedback.) Is 30-60 minutes of the same album graphic that big a deal with today's screens (CRT or plasma)?

Burn-in I think mostly became an issue again once plasma became popular. Though, newer plasmas are supposedly somewhat less prone to it. I think "rear-projection CRT" televisions are also somewhat prone to burn-in as well.

But the new LCD-based sets don't have this issue at all from what I understand. And with traditional tube sets it's probably pretty hard to burn those in, I'd suspect.

With that said, I'll admit that I've never gotten permanent burn-in on my plasma. (Well... there might still be a very very very faint smudge in one spot.) But moreorless any burn-in I've had was temporary. For instance I was playing the "Guitar Hero" video game once and it has some fairly static images. I'm guessing I played for maybe an hour? And it resulted in temporary burn-in. It took maybe a couple of days of normal TV viewing before the faint burn-in disappeared. (But even from the get-go it was mostly only seen when viewed against a white background or other light color.) Nonetheless, I'm still a little hesitant to go 30 or 60 minutes with static images. At least not to do it very often.

As for your Q8 conversions from the other thread, I suppose you could maybe make DTS-CDs and simply avoid graphics all together. I've converted some of my SACDs to DTS-CD format but that was mainly to use in a music server. Anyway, they sound nice enough. Granted, I can see how it would maybe be nice to have a DVD-Video disc, instead. Or better yet convert to DVD-Audio for the best quality.

I was going to go dvd-v with AC3 because I wanted to put several (i.e. 6 or so) quad lp's worth on a single dvd-a. I haven't yet done the math, or checked the bitrates involved/possible, or the overall time I might get, or dual vs. single layer, or how much a video image at all will take up space-wise, or what the resulting quality will be (these are just Quad 8's, after all). Also, at the moment I know I can do AC3 and DVD-V, but I cannot do DTS encoding either on CD or DVD. Is there affordable software for the MAC to do such encoding?
I know that none of the players I have will do SACD or DVD-A. I was going to ask about a couple of units currently available on Ebay (as I really don't want to spend that much more money on yet another disc player) but I'm confused as to whether or not such questions are even allowed at the "Surround Hardware SACD/DVD-A/Universal" forum.
BTW, what happens with DVD-A discs from Europe? Does region encoding have a bearing on playback of DVD-A?

I was going to go dvd-v with AC3 because I wanted to put several (i.e. 6 or so) quad lp's worth on a single dvd-a. I haven't yet done the math, or checked the bitrates involved/possible, or the overall time I might get, or dual vs. single layer, or how much a video image at all will take up space-wise, or what the resulting quality will be (these are just Quad 8's, after all). Also, at the moment I know I can do AC3 and DVD-V, but I cannot do DTS encoding either on CD or DVD. Is there affordable software for the MAC to do such encoding?
I know that none of the players I have will do SACD or DVD-A. I was going to ask about a couple of units currently available on Ebay (as I really don't want to spend that much more money on yet another disc player) but I'm confused as to whether or not such questions are even allowed at the "Surround Hardware SACD/DVD-A/Universal" forum.
BTW, what happens with DVD-A discs from Europe? Does region encoding have a bearing on playback of DVD-A?

To answer your last question first, no region encoding on DVD-A that I know of. You can get DTS-CD program for the mac for around $100 from surcode, but I'm not seeing the product at the moment. This is their website: http://minnetonkaaudio.com/

Regarless of how your discs end up now, try to record at 24 bit / 96 kHz and save the files for later as storage is cheap. Later on you'll find a format that will do the high bit rates and be glad you saved your files.

You can also ask about different DVD-A/SACD players you find on eBay, but you might find someone also bidding on a certain auction if you bring up a deal on eBay is the thing. But there should be deals for you there as many people sell those universal players not knowing/caring about the DVD-A/SACD aspects of these units. Just bring a model number up in the "Surround Hardware SACD/DVD-A/Universal" forum and those who own them can tell you more about them. Most players are not bad, some much better than others.

More DVD-Audio info: DVD-Audio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio Here where you'll find info on DVD-Audio software.

DVD-Audio Macintosh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio#Macintosh

Also, at the moment I know I can do AC3 and DVD-V, but I cannot do DTS encoding either on CD or DVD. Is there affordable software for the MAC to do such encoding?

AC3 can sound decent at times if given a high enough bitrate, and making something with AC3 is certainly better than not being to make a conversion at all. It's just that many of us feel it's inferior to lossless DVD-Audio, or even lossy DTS.

I'm not sure about DTS software on a Mac (or even a PC for that matter). Heck, the method I've used is fairly low-tech and doesn't even use a computer. I have one of those DTS-610 devices. It's basically a small external DTS-encoder that works in real time; I play an album and put the players analog outputs into the encoders analog inputs, then it outputs a DTS optical signal that I record to disc using an external CD Recorder.

but I'm confused as to whether or not such questions are even allowed at the "Surround Hardware SACD/DVD-A/Universal" forum.

I think I know what you mean. The rules thread stickied there seems to state it's only for reviews of players by people who own them and would seem to discourage such questions. But that seems so long ago that I'm not sure how much that is adhered to these days. I agree with Old Quad Guy and would probably post there, anyway. Jon or mods, suggestions???

I'm certainly not an expert here, and could be wrong but... Another potential concern could be whether the video parts on the DVD-A are done in NTSC as found in North America or if done in PAL which is done in parts of Europe. Thankfully, it seems that some of the European discs use the NTSC video type---I suspect that televisions in Europe are maybe capable of doing both NTSC and PAL?

As for region coding... what Old Quad Guy sounds about the same as what I was thinking, too. If memory serves me correctly, I think the DVD-Audio portion isn't supposed to ever have any region coding. I'll add that I think it's possible that any bonus videos or, I suppose, even the Dolby Digital/DTS aspect of the disc if found on the DVD-Video portion could potentially be subject to region coding, though. (I think, that is????)

Thankfully, I've not yet fun into an issue with NTSC vs PAL or with region coding on any DVD-A's that I've bought from Europe. Though, I've only got a small number of ones that came from Europe.

(Moderator, please transplant me to another thread if you feel appropriate as I've deviated from Ms. Franklin's product here. :) )

Well I just did a quick test of things without an actual dvd burning. It looks like 448kbps is the highest AC3 bitrate normally offered. This apparently will give me 20+ hours per single layer dvd (not accounting for any video content) which is far more than necessary and probably too much/lossy compression. The AC3 encoder offers output for DVD-V, DVD-A and generic AC3. Only if I choose the latter can I go up to 640kbps. But I don't know if that's acceptable at the dvd-v authoring stage. I would think that you wouldn't necessarily want AC3 compression on a DVD-A anyways.

But I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough about some of the basics, like what dts is/does? Is it data compression or simply multi-channel encoding? If I went with DVD-A what time capacity would I get for 16/48 with and without and video?
Meanwhile I'll take a look at that site.
Thanks.

DTS is essentially just a competing product of AC3. It's similar and it's still lossy compression.

I'm not sure about any of the other stuff. But I will add that the maximum bitrate for AC3 (Dolby Digital) that I've ever seen on a commercial DVD is 448kbps. But I've seen AC3/DolbyDigital go as high as 640kbps on BluRay discs. It makes me wonder if 448 is a hardware limitation of most DVD players out there???

Took a look at discWelder Bronze, the only one available for Mac, and Burn. I read the manual for welder and that looks simple enough and might be worth it. Can anybody comment on this or a better program?
As for the free Burn, I cannot figure out how you specify multi-channel content and what file should contain what channel of sound. I'm guessing it can't do more than mono or stereo. PCM files can't contain more than two channels of information, can they?

BTW, the other thing that made dvd-v a more attractive option was that I would be able to export whole albums to sound files at a time and then add chapter stops in the dvd-(v)-authoring software for each song, not to mention making multiple albums accessible via a menu. DVD-A authoring, at least Welder, would force me to export the file data song by song, and then come up with a track naming formula to allow for multiple albums on a single disc. I'm willing to do this for the more important quad albums but not all of them.
Sorry if this sounds petty to anyone. Many are probably thinking I should just stick to one album per disc and stop whining!

BTW, Kazaam, you seem to describe dts and AC3 as being about the same in their function. Is one necessarily better than the other? I've seen it sometimes offered as a choice on some commercial dvd's and I was wondering what the difference/consensus is. Does one have a limitation over the other? It seems to me you can have AC3 and dts encoding on dvd's, but only dts for CD's.

Many are probably thinking I should just stick to one album per disc and stop whining!

Blank discs are pretty cheap these days, so yeah. ;) (I'm just trying to give you a hard time there!) :cool:

BTW, Kazaam, you seem to describe dts and AC3 as being about the same in their function. Is one necessarily better than the other?

Perhaps the most concrete evidence in favor of DTS over AC3 is that supposedly the AC3 codec goes 'mono' at one of the upper frequency points and beyond, whereas the DTS codec doesn't go 'mono' and stays stereo/multichannel. Granted, I suspect it's a fairly high frequency and could be hard to notice. I can't recall for sure, but I think Neil posted about it a while back.

Other than that, I think it's harder to prove that DTS is better than AC3. Though, it does seem that a large number of us (perhaps the majority?) would prefer DTS for music. (Personally, I find AC3 fine for movies, but prefer DTS for music.)

Amongst some of the reasons we think DTS may be better suited to music than AC3 are, again, not necessarilly provable facts but some of the following: (1) It seems that a majority of music releases on DTS just seem to sound better than their AC3 counterparts, but the hole in that theory is that different mastering could affect overall sound. (2) Those of us who prefer DTS will point to the higher bitrate that DTS allows; for instance, AC3 only goes as high as 448kbps on DVD but DTS can go as high as approximately 1800kbps (or was it 1400kbps, I forget????). However the hole in that theory is that it can be argued that AC3 *might* be a more efficient codec and theoretically could sound just as good at lower bitrates. But (3) The comeback to that is some of us believe DTS *might* have a more music-friendly codec with a compression algorithm that potentially keeps more of that special something that music needs to sound good, rather than throw it away. Though, that is hard to prove.

I guess it all just comes down to our ears and, at least for myself, I believe DTS is better than AC3 for music based on the examples I've heard. Though, this is hardly scientific. EDIT: And I should add that there have been some instances where I've thought AC3 for music sounded fairly good, such as the Brian Wilson Presents Smile DVD-Video. And, heck, if memory serves me correctly I think the AC3 actually sounded better than the DTS on my "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" DVD-Video. And although those instances are in the minority for me, I suppose this just illustrates why it's hard to prove either way.

It seems to me you can have AC3 and dts encoding on dvd's, but only dts for CD's.

I've never seen AC3 on a CD before, so I do suspect this might be true. But I can't say for certain.

DTS is essentially just a competing product of AC3. It's similar and it's still lossy compression.

True statement, but the difference aurally is noticeable and stunning. I have NEVER heard an AC3-encoded stream that was the equal of its counterpart DTS stream. DTS is fuller, richer tonally and more lifelike to my ears than AC3, which sounds uniformly flat and uninteresting no matter whose system I hear it on.

Understand I'm speaking of music here, not movie soundtracks, although I generally think those sound better in DTS as well.

Most plasma TV's these days have automatic circuits that wipe out burn-in effects when they occur. It's still possible to get it, but it won't remain.

I suppose the burn-in question is a moot point now. If I go DVD-A for my transfers it's seems I will not have the option of any video content anyways. It does not seem to be a possibility for the limited choices on Mac software for doing DVD-A, unless someone has a better suggestion than discWelder Bronze.

Back