Just got my Quad Aretha from Rhino!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful saying this. There is no such thing as an "automatic circuit that wipe out burn-in effects." I was just discussing this with a TV station manager and their plasmas still suffer burn-in because they leave the plasma on all day with the station logo.

Here's how the burn-in works. Basically it has to do with the phosphor material that is energized by the plasma. As this phosphor material is used, its luminance ability degrades. So, if you leave a bright image on the screen, the phosphor degrades just at those bright points, which results in a ghost image when the rest of the screen is bright, because the burnt-in phosphors can't output as bright of an image. This is not repairable.

What manufacturers have done is to produce phosphor material that is less susceptible to this problem as well as internal electronics that attempt to reduce the phosphor burn-in by reducing the amount of intensity of specific points over time. However, in all cases, the burn-in can still happen. CRTs have the same problem.

LCDs have a problem called "persistence" which occurs when the same image is held on an LCD for a long time. Since LCDs don't use phosphors this is not a burn-in problem. Instead it occurs when the crystals "remember" a position even after the pixel has been reset. This is not permanent and can usually be fixed by sending random noise to the LCD for a day or so. Sometimes an all-white image works better.

As far as I know LCOS, OLED and DLP displays have no burn-in or persistence problems. And, more to the point of the thread, put a different image up for each song and move any graphics (such as track number) around the screen. Then you shouldn't have a problem - or at least don't use any bright colors on the image.

Andy

Be careful saying this. There is no such thing as an "automatic circuit that wipe out burn-in effects." I was just discussing this with a TV station manager and their plasmas still suffer burn-in because they leave the plasma on all day with the station logo.

Andy
Andy, my information came from the folks at Panasonic, perhaps the biggest advocate of Plasma TV in the industry. They claimed to have an automatic circuit that monitors the phosphors for just such problems and corrects for it. It very well may be "dumbing down" the rest of the phosphors, but they didn't elaborate on how it works. I sell TV's and audio systems, and I would hope the Panasonic people wouldn't mislead us.

Back