King Crimson concert CD/Blu-ray, Live In Takamatsu

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For somebody who hates his fans Fripp gives us a lot of releases.

Awful video!, looks like was shot in the studio with strange visuals!

I kind of felt the same way. It almost made me sick, like I was watching it with my eyes crossed. Or one too many beers:beer2 :mad:@: Oh well, it's the music and performance that counts here, and they certainly nailed that aspect! Holy crap that sounded amazing!! :music

If anyone's on the fence about getting this release, just watch this video! It's the full performance of "Easy Money" from the Blu-Ray concert film. Absolutely outstanding performance and audio mix! :)
[video=youtube;eOdk015mLEo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOdk015mLEo[/video]

Stunning, I wants it!

Guys, the video is not the main attraction here. It's the musical performance along with the good sound mix.
The concert was filmed in such a way so that the cameras would not be an intrusion for both the band and the audience, so it won't be a visually stunning concert film like many others from over the years.
My advice would be to get this release and use the pure audio functionality to turn this into an audio-only disc. Maybe then it will be a lot easier for some of you to concentrate on the amazing performance contained therein. :)

Guys, the video is not the main attraction here. It's the musical performance along with the good sound mix.
The concert was filmed in such a way so that the cameras would not be an intrusion for both the band and the audience, so it won't be a visually stunning concert film like many others from over the years.
My advice would be to get this release and use the pure audio functionality to turn this into an audio-only disc. Maybe then it will be a lot easier for some of you to concentrate on the amazing performance contained therein. :)

But "shot in the studio with strange visuals" is a whole other thing, not exactly as you described it. It sounds, or looks botched, I think is what it's called.

The effect might wear out it's welcome if the entire program is seeped in this style of editing.

Uncle Grumpy here...
REALLY???
You guys bitchin' bout the VIDEO????

It looks PERFECT to me...why? cause there ain't a lot to see!!!!
Well done by Fripp & co.

geez...next it's gonna be "oooohh I don't like the SUITS!!!!"

sounding like old ladies nagging about anything they don't agree with....come on. guys,
KC is NOT a visual band...especially with a singer in the BACK ROW!!!!

a definite must buy!

It seems Jakko is trying to compensate for Tony's lack of hair. :)
What a great voice he has!
Excellent sound mix and stellar performance. The video is clearly anecdotal.

Uncle Grumpy here...
REALLY???
You guys bitchin' bout the VIDEO????

It looks PERFECT to me...why? cause there ain't a lot to see!!!!
Well done by Fripp & co.

geez...next it's gonna be "oooohh I don't like the SUITS!!!!"

sounding like old ladies nagging about anything they don't agree with....come on. guys,
KC is NOT a visual band...especially with a singer in the BACK ROW!!!!

a definite must buy!

Haha, really, Kap'n? You are a bit grumpy. Was your nephew on the film crew or something? Why are you so defensive about my little gripe with the video? Look, I get that KC is not a "visual" band. I don't expect a bunch of fancy stage props, pyrotechnics, flashy camera tricks, or for Fripp to get off his stool and start crowdsurfing. Also, I'm well aware of Fripp's aversion towards cameras, and wouldn't expect a bunch of camera guys running around the stage, getting in their faces. My gripe has nothing to do with the recorded footage, or how it was recorded. My gripe is with the editing choice; the constant overlay of different camera angles and images, and everything all bled together on screen. Used sparingly, no big deal. As it is, it's nearly the entirety of an 8 minute long video. Towards the end of the video, I felt like I had been wearing somebody else's prescription glasses.

How is this like a "nagging old lady"?

I get that the main focus is going to be the music, performance, audio quality (hopefully a killer surround track!) - I'm sure all of these things will be top-notch. But this is being marketed as a video presentation. The quality of the video footage/editing technique certainly warrants discussion and critique, especially if it induces the feeling of a hangover.

I rarely engage in petty arguments on these boards, and rarely do my comments evoke a negative attitude. And my comment was, for the most part, optimistic, positive, and complimentary. Seems like a bit of an overreaction to get so worked up about my comment.

Haha, really, Kap'n? You are a bit grumpy. Was your nephew on the film crew or something? Why are you so defensive about my little gripe with the video? Look, I get that KC is not a "visual" band. I don't expect a bunch of fancy stage props, pyrotechnics, flashy camera tricks, or for Fripp to get off his stool and start crowdsurfing. Also, I'm well aware of Fripp's aversion towards cameras, and wouldn't expect a bunch of camera guys running around the stage, getting in their faces. My gripe has nothing to do with the recorded footage, or how it was recorded. My gripe is with the editing choice; the constant overlay of different camera angles and images, and everything all bled together on screen. Used sparingly, no big deal. As it is, it's nearly the entirety of an 8 minute long video. Towards the end of the video, I felt like I had been wearing somebody else's prescription glasses.

How is this like a "nagging old lady"?

I get that the main focus is going to be the music, performance, audio quality (hopefully a killer surround track!) - I'm sure all of these things will be top-notch. But this is being marketed as a video presentation. The quality of the video footage/editing technique certainly warrants discussion and critique, especially if it induces the feeling of a hangover.

I rarely engage in petty arguments on these boards, and rarely do my comments evoke a negative attitude. And my comment was, for the most part, optimistic, positive, and complimentary. Seems like a bit of an overreaction to get so worked up about my comment.

it seems that my attempt to "be funny" went awry.

When I start with "Uncle Grumpy here" please don't take it (too) seriously...
On the one hand it's good that people complain, but on the other hand, KC is not a visual band the way Peter Gabriel is....

The way the video is presented is more than appropriate. No cameramen in the middle and we all all kinds of angles...

That's all..

EDIT:
Now, if there gorgeous women onstage, I'd DEFINITELY complain, but , don't get me wrong, that's why the "handsome guys" are in front....I do not think that Jakko is handsome...nor Mel, nor Robert...nor Tony....

Ah, sorry Kap, I guess I did miss the attempt at humor there. :D Should have known better. With all the exclamation marks, capitalized letters, and so on, I read it as something like: :howl

Anyway, thanks for clarifying. Given your response, and RT's response, I did feel like I should expand upon the reasons for my initial comment. And honestly, with this release (and most live releases), I could not care less about the video, and will most likely be utilizing the "audio only" feature.

Can't wait for this! :cool:

I actually think it looks great, and would probably make for a nice hallucinatory experience with your cocktail of choice.

ÂŁ27 for a Blu Ray Concert; CRAZY. Madness, I tell thee. I do not want the 3 CDs with it!

If anyone's interested, Burning Shed have released the track listing for the 3 CDs contained in this set.
Remember that these three CDs are presented as individually themed 'virtual studio albums' with no audible audience - featuring a representative example of every song/piece performed by King Crimson on its 2015 tours of the UK, Canada and Japan.

CD 1: Mainly Metal

Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part One (Cross, Fripp, Wetton, Bruford, Muir) Radical Action (to Unseat The Hold of Monkey Mind) (Fripp)
Meltdown (Jakszyk, Fripp)
Radical Action II (Fripp)
Level Five (Belew, Fripp, Gunn, Mastelotto)
The Light of Day (Jakszyk, Fripp, Collins)
The Hell Hounds of Krim (Harrison, Rieflin, Mastelotto)
The ConstruKction of Light (Belew, Fripp, Gunn, Mastelotto)
The Talking Drum (Cross, Fripp, Wetton, Bruford, Muir)
Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part Two (Fripp)

CD 2: Easy Money Shots

Peace (Fripp, Sinfield)
Pictures of a City (Fripp, Sinfield)
Banshee Legs Bell Hassle (Harrison, Rieflin, Mastelotto)
Easy Money (Fripp, Wetton, Palmer-James)
VROOOM (Belew, Fripp, Levin, Gunn, Bruford, Mastelotto)
Suitable Grounds for the Blues (Jakszyk, Fripp)
Interlude (Fripp)
The Letters (Fripp, Sinfield)
Sailors Tale (Fripp)
A Scarcity of Miracles (Jakszyk, Fripp, Collins)

CD 3: Crimson Classics

Red (Fripp) One More Red Nightmare (Fripp, Wetton)
Epitaph (Fripp, McDonald, Lake, Giles, Sinfield)
Starless (Cross, Fripp, Wetton, Bruford, Palmer-James)
Devil Dogs of Tessellation Row (Harrison, Rieflin, Mastelotto)
The Court of The Crimson King (McDonald, Sinfield)
21st Century Schizoid Man (Fripp, McDonald, Lake, Giles, Sinfield)

:)

I'm very curious to hear how this iteration of KC pulls off symphonic/acoustic-y ballads like epitaph and court of the crimson king. I wonder if it's going to be fairly true to the originals, or if it's going to be wildly new interpretations.

I'm very curious to hear how this iteration of KC pulls off symphonic/acoustic-y ballads like epitaph and court of the crimson king. I wonder if it's going to be fairly true to the originals, or if it's going to be wildly new interpretations.

You can either wait until this release comes out to find out, or you can check out the "Live in Toronto 2015" Double CD, and that will also answer your burning question.
Regardless, I won't spoil it for you… ;)

Ah, that's right, I forgot about that one! I keep passing it up.

At this point, only a few weeks left, I think I can hold out for the blu. It'll make for a nice surprise :)

The tracks I am most looking forward to on this release (besides "Easy Money" which we already have a preview of) are the tracks from "In the Wake of Poseidon" (like "Pictures of a City") and the tracks from "Islands" (like "The Letters" and "Sailor's Tale").

The "Islands" tracks in particular are fully realized with this lineup, mostly thanks to the superb talents of guys like Jakko Jakszyk and Mel Collins, whose contributions really shine through on these songs.

You can currently hear those "Islands" tracks on the both the "Live in Toronto 2015" Double CD and the "Live at the Orpheum" CD/DVDA-V set from the 2014 US tour, and I can't wait to hear what they will sound like in surround on this release! :)

I have the live at the Live at the Orpheum release, and I completely agree about the Islands tracks. They're definitely the stand-out tracks, as unlikely as it seems.

I also really like Mel Collins' contributions to ConstruKction of Light

I just preordered the 3CD/Blu-Ray edition of this release this morning!
Since the DVDs in the larger set are DVD-V discs that contain the same content as the Blu-Ray, I didn't feel the need to go for the bigger and more expensive set.
The 3CD/Blu-Ray edition has everything I need.
Can't wait to get this one in!

:)

Back