King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrandCanyon2.jpg

Another tease from Bobby F:

… today’s work: the stereo re-mix of In The Court Of The Crimson King, accessing the original instrumental tracks before they were sub-mixed into stereo pairs, to allow for more multi-tracking, particularly of the mellotron. The sound quality is noticeably clearer & more present than any of the released versions, including the first generation mix-master.

The original mix was the template for our re-mix, which is close to the original without being a slavish copy; this would be close to impossible in any case. Moving between the original mix & our current version, the improvement in audio quality is significant. This required a few small changes, for example lifting a few words from the voice because of the greater clarity in the instruments.

All this teasing is becoming torturous!

I may be in the minority here but I have never though the sound of ANY of the versions of IN the Court of the Crimson King sounded all that fabulous. I ascribed this to the early recording date and perhaps the equipment used, though there are certainly many fine sounding recordings from that era. sounds like they went right back to the source and cleaned things up. Sight differences in the mix won't bother me, significant improvement in the sound will excite me!

As stated above, the waiting is the hardest part.

I thought the GART 5.0 version was a huge improvement. btw, does anyone know the story behind that version?

I may be in the minority here but I have never though the sound of ANY of the versions of IN the Court of the Crimson King sounded all that fabulous. I ascribed this to the early recording date and perhaps the equipment used, though there are certainly many fine sounding recordings from that era. sounds like they went right back to the source and cleaned things up. Sight differences in the mix won't bother me, significant improvement in the sound will excite me!

As stated above, the waiting is the hardest part.

I actually have always felt this way about RED. I'm listening to the EG Editions vinyl right now. It sounds pretty muddy. Alot of sound that could (and will) be set free in a 5.1 mix! Now...if they'll just....RELEASE IT!!!

I actually have always felt this way about RED. I'm listening to the EG Editions vinyl right now. It sounds pretty muddy. Alot of sound that could (and will) be set free in a 5.1 mix! Now...if they'll just....RELEASE IT!!!

Patience. my friend, patience.
Trust me - this will be worth the wait. Red is progressing nicely here.

New info on the mastering and remixing of Lizard and In the Court via Robert Fripp's diary. As of May 16, sounds like Court is done but Lizard is still in process. I wonder if this will impact the June release date. Also interesting to note that Super Audio Mastering is still involved.
Also, a comment about using tubes or solid state for mastering - sounds like both will be used depending on the source material.
Details here.

Thanks, these links are good reminders to pop in and browse the diaries for clues and hints on the progress of the treasured 5.1 projects we await....

The new stereo mix of "Lizard" is going to be re-tweaked. Don't see a June date in the obvious future.
Trust me guys - as soon as I know the release date, I will tell everyone.
The reason things are getting delayed is not just because of the remix required for "Lizard 2009" either, there are other issues (cannot go into exactly what) as well.
All it means is that these really are going to be well worth the wait.
Not only are we getting these in 5.1 on DVDA, but the archive door has been not so much opened as kicked off it's hinges.....so the wait is worthwhile.

Not only are we getting these in 5.1 on DVDA, but the archive door has been not so much opened as kicked off it's hinges.....so the wait is worthwhile.

No complaints about the archive, after the Dead and maybe Zappa (well 12 discs or so) KC has some great historical concert releases available for purchase as well as that one kind of studio snippet thing that I was just checking out the previews for the other day. I am very tempted to check that one out. I recall an alternate version of "Prince Rupert Awakes" or whatever.

I know, shouldn't post without the exact facts...

or after a beer,

this waiting is driving me to drink!!!!!
:banana:

Wow, this is really ecxiting! :banana::banana:

Also really looking forward to Red...

Well there is no real reason to have a LFE channel for music anyway if the main speakers go down to very low frequencies. But it can help to provide some low end that the other speakers can't handle (below 50 or 60 Hz).

That's a reason to have a subwoofer, not to have dedicated .1 content in a music mix.

The .1 channel of a mix is for LOUD low bass (LFE) ....like explosions. Not John Wetton, though he comes close at times.

My last comment on this, I think.
Smaller speakers are not better. They have been created by companies who are trying to screw you, and are suitable - barely - for film listening where C channel is non critical as far as full range goes as it is fed dialogue almost exclusively, ditto the rears where it is effects in the majority of mixes. Music is - and should be - treated differently.
5.1 music is mixed & mastered for all 5 main channels being full range on same make & model, or as close to full range as possible. A minimum of 50Hz for the Low cutoff point is recommended by the RPG, and is what all albums are mixed to. Small speakers require the .1 to become a subwoofer as opposed to an LFE, as it will end up carrying the majority of the bass.
Redirecting a 5.1 setup to a Quad type setup is simply going to result in something that was not what the mixer intended. Please try to remember a subwoofer is not the same thing as an LFE.
Still, it's up to you & I am not going to waste my time arguing the point any longer as I feel it is futile in this case.

Neil, *you* have in the past argued against the inclusion of LFE content in a music surround mix as unnecessary. .1 channel was originally provided as an increased headroom-channel for sudden loud bassy effects in movies (LFE). So there's a bit of a disjunction here.

.1 content gets included in music mixes mainly so consumers won't complain that their 'LFE' light doesn't light up.

Ummm can they make the new Crimson mixes all center speaker and .1 LFE?
I'd really enjoy that! I don't need the other speakers!

Back