King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reconfirmed here as well on my DV-45A just to prove that I wasn't imagining things.

Neil W, I'm guessing you would want to look into this. Do you require any more details needed or tests run?

Track 4 plays (time ticks over) , but no sound and there is no data being picked up as being streamed....

re Lizard Track 4 silence......

I checked with my kids. I also have Pioneer DV-655A (Au model) and Pioneer DV-676A, plus Burning Shed Lizard hasn't appeared there yet despite being shipped 2 weeks ago. It would appear I am going to have the same problem as with the Pioneer DV-656A in NL. Officially Depressed.....

Still I love all three albums so far...and appreciate the work put into them..

Can all you guys with Pioneer players please, please make certain you have up to date firmware in these players?

Many Thanks

Can all you guys with Pioneer players please, please make certain you have up to date firmware in these players?

Many Thanks

Thanks Neil,

Does anyone know where to locate Firmware for these Pioneer models. I had a look at the Pioneer sites in a few countries over the weekend but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know where to locate installable firmware for Pioneer models DV-655A, DV-676A and DV-656A? I tried ringing them but dealing with BT or Telstra is easier.

If this fixes the problem will be elated.

Many Thanks

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-79avi and it plays Lizzard without problem [dvd-a hi res, analog output]

ge

Thanks Neil,

Does anyone know where to locate Firmware for these Pioneer models. I had a look at the Pioneer sites in a few countries over the weekend but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know where to locate installable firmware for Pioneer models DV-655A, DV-676A and DV-656A? I tried ringing them but dealing with BT or Telstra is easier. (and DV 45A)

If this fixes the problem will be elated.

Spoke to Pioneer Customer Service in the Netherlands.

They said the last official firmware upgrade for the DV 656A was August 2003. They are seeing if they can download and send it to me although I think I have the same firmware.

It is becoming such a rare format, despite 'Lizard' being in my top discs of all time, I don't really want to risk cooking the player or losing the region free aspect for standard DVD discs, as I think there is a library of 6 different regions here. Not entirely sure I can walk out and buy another universal player. I might just put up with it, listen to the first four tracks in DTS and pretend I'm turning the disc over and play the Lizard suite in Hi Rez. I am sure the neighbours will be just as disrupted.

These issues regarding these players have probably been discussed in these forums in earlier years although I can't find anything now. Any extra information welcome.

I found this thread in the Universal Player Sections of the forum.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=66955#post66955

under

Class Action Suit against Pioneer for DVD-AUDIO player problems

by Laurel Canyon that apparently fixes the problem for the DV 656A

I created a disc from the ISO, named the disc PIONEER.

The player tries to player then goes to stop. Nothing happens.

It was posted in Sept 07.

Does anyone know how to do this properly?

Reading all this is quite entertaining. I was unaware of it. I have three Pioneer Players and most of the affected titles but have to date have not had a problem.

I hate to say it, but all DVD-A players seem to have some problem or another. I'm on my third player, a Denon 2910, and it puts a small pause between tracks of the Beatles Love DVD-A. I started with a Pioneer that had lots of problems that are well documented. I upgraded to a Yamaha that locked up on the Talking Heads Brick discs. The DVD-A consortium changed their specs or something right in the middle of the 'Hi-rez era' and I think that caused many of the problems. It's just too bad the format didn't stick around long enough to get the kinks worked out.

I found this thread in the Universal Player Sections of the forum.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=66955#post66955

under

Class Action Suit against Pioneer for DVD-AUDIO player problems

by Laurel Canyon that apparently fixes the problem for the DV 656A

I created a disc from the ISO, named the disc PIONEER.

The player tries to player then goes to stop. Nothing happens.

It was posted in Sept 07.

Does anyone know how to do this properly?

Reading all this is quite entertaining. I was unaware of it. I have three Pioneer Players and most of the affected titles but have to date have not had a problem.

Careful with the model numbers. That thread was about a fix for DV-563A that fortunatelly also worked for EU model DV-565A without affecting region code. I wouldn't recommend trying it on other models without documented proof that is can be done. In the worst case you might end up with a fancy Pioneer paperweight.

Did anyone get the 5cd/dvd se Court of the crimson king yet? Or is it known when it will be released? Anxiously awaiting, almost tempted to order the cd/dvd version already...

Did anyone get the 5cd/dvd se Court of the crimson king yet? Or is it known when it will be released? Anxiously awaiting, almost tempted to order the cd/dvd version already...

It has not shipped yet. There is a delay because of some manufacturing issue according to the email I got from Burning Shed about 10 days ago. It was anticipated to be resolved within 2-3 weeks IIRC so it should hopefully be shipping soon now.

I hate to say it, but all DVD-A players seem to have some problem or another. I'm on my third player, a Denon 2910, and it puts a small pause between tracks of the Beatles Love DVD-A. I started with a Pioneer that had lots of problems that are well documented. I upgraded to a Yamaha that locked up on the Talking Heads Brick discs. The DVD-A consortium changed their specs or something right in the middle of the 'Hi-rez era' and I think that caused many of the problems. It's just too bad the format didn't stick around long enough to get the kinks worked out.

No issues with my Denon 1920 on any DVD-A.

Doing well and free of issues with both a Kenwood DVM5900 (Robbie the Robot styling) DVDA changer and Samsung 841 NTSC/PAL for single play.

Well, maybe it's just me then. I've never had a problem with an SACD, but DVD-A seems to have issues. Luckily I'm not a big fan of the Love DVD-A, so I can live with it.

Well, maybe it's just me then. I've never had a problem with an SACD, but DVD-A seems to have issues. Luckily I'm not a big fan of the Love DVD-A, so I can live with it.
That's really odd, because this disc works fine on my 2910 & 3910.
I know what you mean about players though - we ran through a right list before ending up on Denons:
1 - Cannot even remember the name, but only played Group 1! That had to go.
2 - Pioneer DV565 - terrible player. RMA'd.
3 - Pioneer 578 - equally bad
4 - Cambridge Audio 540R Azur MkI - gapping across Track Points, even on experimental firmware there was still a glitch.
5 - Yamaha S1500 - RMA'd because of DVD-V playback problems.
6 - Denon 1910 - RMA'd for DVDA playability issues in 16:9 discs (no SPHL)
7 - Denon 2910 - We have a winner, folks.
We also have a 3910 that is performing flawlessly.

That's really odd, because this disc works fine on my 2910 & 3910.
I know what you mean about players though - we ran through a right list before ending up on Denons:
1 - Cannot even remember the name, but only played Group 1! That had to go.
2 - Pioneer DV565 - terrible player. RMA'd.
3 - Pioneer 578 - equally bad
4 - Cambridge Audio 540R Azur MkI - gapping across Track Points, even on experimental firmware there was still a glitch.
5 - Yamaha S1500 - RMA'd because of DVD-V playback problems.
6 - Denon 1910 - RMA'd for DVDA playability issues in 16:9 discs (no SPHL)
7 - Denon 2910 - We have a winner, folks.
We also have a 3910 that is performing flawlessly.

Ok. I went into Amsterdam to see if any of the main dealers had Pioneer Firmware Upgrades. They looked at me like I was from Mars and tried to sell me a Universal Pioneer BluRay player that turned out not to play DVD-A. While waiting I noticed an ex demo Denon DV 1940 which I ended up taking home for a little over 100 Euros. I had thought it was one of the above but NOT.

It does play Lizard perfectly and with great clarity.... it also plays the Trex Electric Warrior SACD without problem unlike the Pioneer. The only problem is Bass Management and that it needs to be Region Free. The region free seems to be fixable. The DVD-A's seem Bass Free (good for neighbours). I have yet to discover separate bass management tools for DVD-A as against SACD. Bass on the SACD's seem fine.Will muddle on. If anyone has any idea how to upgrade firmware on the Pioneers, would appreciate it.

Lizard is outstanding in every way. This restoration will ensure it will live on to be appreciated in an another time when its ambition can be truly realised. More later...

Spoke to Pioneer Customer Service in the Netherlands.

They said the last official firmware upgrade for the DV 656A was August 2003. They are seeing if they can download and send it to me although I think I have the same firmware.

It is becoming such a rare format, despite 'Lizard' being in my top discs of all time, I don't really want to risk cooking the player or losing the region free aspect for standard DVD discs, as I think there is a library of 6 different regions here. Not entirely sure I can walk out and buy another universal player. I might just put up with it, listen to the first four tracks in DTS and pretend I'm turning the disc over and play the Lizard suite in Hi Rez. I am sure the neighbours will be just as disrupted.

I'm not going to risk a firmware upgrade either....don't want to lose my "de-zoned" settings.. Lizard is the only disk I have a problem with.

FYI - I do actually have a copy of the latest firmware for the 655A - if anyone wants a copy of this let me know.

Got my shipping notice on the Court box set this morning..it's on the way...woohoo!

Back