LAGQ - Spin - A new SACD in SURROUND

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIDIQ

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I ordered LAGQ - Spin on SACD from Amazon a few days ago, should be geting it any day now. Does anybody have this title yet? Any opinions yet? I likes the other 2 surround titles by them. I hope this one is as good.:)

MIDIQ said:
I ordered LAGQ - Spin on SACD from Amazon a few days ago, should be geting it any day now. Does anybody have this title yet? Any opinions yet? I likes the other 2 surround titles by them. I hope this one is as good.:)
This may be a dumb question: but who is LAGQ? The acronym doesn't ring a bell for me...
And I'd really like to know because I'm always on the lookout for good new multichannel music...
Best regards,
Oliver

LAQC stands for Los Angeles Guitar Quartet. 4 talented modern classical guitarists of whom Scott Tennant and Andrew York are best known. The recordings are actually discrete 4.0 surround with each player set-up in the Front left and right and surround left and right. They tackle a very diverse program including pop, jazz, rock, and of course classical. Their previous 2 releases are "Latin" and "Heroes" -all 3 titles are on Telarc SACD - definitely worth checking out(y)

Hi Elmer!

Thanks for the information! This sounds really interesting. Especially the setup where each player has one of the speakers to himself. I have trouble imagining how that sounds though... I guess I'll have to get the disc and see for myself :D

The review you posted the link to says however that this is a full 5.1 channel recording. :confused:

Anyway, I'm only afraid that my speaker setup will not do this release jsutice, since I'm coming from a home cinema and have dipoles as rear speakers.
I'm currently looking for a new amp (probably the Denon AVC-A11XV) and a new set of speakers later this year (the Monitor Audio Gold Signature series looks really interesting since they have rear speakers that can be used as both dipoles and direct emitting speakers).

Best regards,
Oliver

Your welcome - I suppose that they are 5.1 - however for all intents and purposes with the exception of some reverb and a few percussion elements 99% of the information is 4.0 -still sounds great - as if your sitting in the middle of the quartet - plus they do some interesting "circular" playing - hard to describe until you hear it.

I think they're fantastic and the new release is no exception.

EDIT:

"Spin" is very, very good, but unfortunately, the mix is not aggressive (ambience in the rears), as opposed to the fully immersive surround mix of their prior release, "Guitar Heroes." LAGQ's playing and compositions are still first rate, but if you had to pick one title, add "Guitar Heroes" to your library.

Not sure why they didn't keep the surround-the-listener approach with the new album...

Last edited:
Thanks, Elmer for the review, can't wait to get mine on the mail.

I got this one in the mail today, and was very excited to hear it. The other 2 i have by them are fantastic in surround, a guitar in each speaker, GREAT! This one however is just stereo with reverb in the rears. ARRGH!!!!! Not happy. :mad:
I wish they would label these fake surround discs as enhanced stereo or something rather than stating as this one does, as discrete multi-channel surround. I had to turn the rear speakers all the way up to see if there was anything at all coming out of them, very little. I was so disapointed that it was hard to enjoy the music, which was quite good. But if you have not heard any of their surround SACD's, get the other 2 first, they are GREAT.

Back