Laura Nyro - Eli And The Thirteenth Confession - Audio Fidelity 4.0 SACD (June 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy could be the last word I think of when I think of this LP. Wait until you hear Poverty Train, or Lonely Woman. Laura could go to some pretty dark places.

Right on, Larry. Poverty Train is absolutely stunning and you can't get much 'darker' than that and Lonely Woman. And her mega octave voice was thrilling to behold.....if ONLY current female artists could be this 'brilliant!'

The first unreleased quad mix had completely different versions of some cuts, like Lu, but it was missing the last few LP cuts. The second unreleased quad mix used the normal versions of the songs, just mixed for 4.0. It would be great if we could get both quad mixes (or at least include the tracks that were different as a bonus). Since this didn't happen with B,S & T (which had the same situation), I doubt if it would happen here.

The first unreleased quad mix had completely different versions of some cuts, like Lu, but it was missing the last few LP cuts. The second unreleased quad mix used the normal versions of the songs, just mixed for 4.0. It would be great if we could get both quad mixes (or at least include the tracks that were different as a bonus). Since this didn't happen with B,S & T (which had the same situation), I doubt if it would happen here.

From my recollection of the LP, ELI was a bit bass shy and I do have the AF Stereo remaster of her Greatest Hits (erroneously listed as HDCD encoded....it's NOT) which is similarly bass shy. Hope there's some bass activity in the QUAD remaster.

And yes, Larry...it would be nice to have both QUAD versions!

When I heard that this title was available I suggested they go for it because it's an original quad mix that never got "officially" released, and this music is very special to a lot of people. It was also a title that was not over released via audiophile LP/Gold CD/etc over the years.

Obviously this style of music will not be of everyone's taste, but it's a classic piece of modern music history, and fans will be over the top that it's being remastered and released after what, 50 years? I know QQ member 'lennonfan' will be totally stoked.

When I heard that this title was available I suggested they go for it because it's an original quad mix that never got "officially" released, and this music is very special to a lot of people. It was also a title that was not over released via audiophile LP/Gold CD/etc over the years.

Obviously this style of music will not be of everyone's taste, but it's a classic piece of modern music history, and fans will be over the top that it's being remastered and released after what, 50 years? I know QQ member 'lennonfan' will be totally stoked.

I may be in the minority here (hope I'm NOT), but I consider the QUAD release of ELI one of the most "important' releases thus far from Audio Fidelity [and I have ALL of AF's QUAD SACDs).

BTW, Jon, is there any timetable listed for this release?

I may be in the minority here (hope I'm NOT), but I consider the QUAD release of ELI one of the most "important' releases thus far from Audio Fidelity [and I have ALL of AF's QUAD SACDs).

I think so too, as I hope it will open the doors for the possibility of other unreleased Quad titles the we may or may not have ever heard about.

From my recollection of the LP, ELI was a bit bass shy and I do have the AF Stereo remaster of her Greatest Hits (erroneously listed as HDCD encoded....it's NOT) which is similarly bass shy. Hope there's some bass activity in the QUAD remaster.

Agree - I have this one and it didn't do a lot for me sonically, much of it didn't seem that well recorded. Will be interesting to see how this release turns out, but I may sit this one out.

Agree - I have this one and it didn't do a lot for me sonically, much of it didn't seem that well recorded. Will be interesting to see how this release turns out, but I may sit this one out.

I suppose before we lose faith in the end result, lennonfan1 over at the SH forum posted this: "It's a great quad mix with lots of differences to the stereo." And like myself, he posts "Best release I've seen come out in surround in awhile."
Apparently, lennonfan1 has heard the Mike Robbin's Quad Open Reel and his words are VERY encouraging.

And the very fact that it's an unreleased QUAD title (the master should be in pristine condition) makes it that much more desirable.

This is great news. From what I seem to recall, I think the only real differences in the 2 mixes are on Lu and Eli's Coming. I forget which version of Eli's Coming I prefer, but I believe it was the alt. mix (the one missing the last 2 songs) that has a mix of Lu that more closely resembles the stereo. If they include both versions of those 2 songs, it would really make for a perfect release of this album, in my opinion.

Great news indeed.

I really like the path that A.F. seem to be on with all the recent issues of QUADS & 5.1 'S that were announced/mixed and then withdrawn.

Great finds with Dylan's 5.1, Laura Nyro's quad, Billy Cobham's quad, BS&T'S 5.1.

They sure are onto something unique and this 4ch/5.1 collector loves it.We can obviously expect more of these rarities to come!!

The future with A.F.'S quads and surrounds are exciting indeed.You just gotta love their efforts making" past wrongs"right.:D

I, for one, am uber excited that they are releasing Laura Nyro's "Eli And The Thirteenth Confession" in QUAD since I never imagined that obscure (at least to some) title would EVER be released in that format. To me, it's as important a title as BS&T's first album (Child Is Father To The Man) and certainly indicative of Audio Fidelity's continuing commitment to excellence!

Marshall and I have discussed the Mike Robin list of Quad Reels, including the unreleased Quads, as potential Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs.
The Laura Nyro SACD came out of that discussion. Time will tell if others emerge.

Could you offer any insight as to what version of the mix will be used for this release? Both versions have noticeable differences in Lu and Eli's Coming. If only the version found on the complete Mike Robin reel is used, that would be a mistake in my opinion, as to me the version of Lu on the incomplete Mike Robin reel is what I'd consider the "correct" version, as it better matches the stereo mix. Ideally, it would be great if it would be possible to include both versions of Lu and Eli.

Could you offer any insight as to what version of the mix will be used for this release? Both versions have noticeable differences in Lu and Eli's Coming. If only the version found on the complete Mike Robin reel is used, that would be a mistake in my opinion, as to me the version of Lu on the incomplete Mike Robin reel is what I'd consider the "correct" version, as it better matches the stereo mix. Ideally, it would be great if it would be possible to include both versions of Lu and Eli.

To the best of my knowledge and according to the Surround Discography, ELI was never released commercially in ANY QUAD format so I'm assuming the Mike Robbins OR from the Columbia QUAD master would probably contain no bonus tracks or alternate takes.

Back