Laura Nyro - Eli And The Thirteenth Confession - Audio Fidelity 4.0 SACD (June 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wish AmazonUS would at least get the listing correct. It's listed as a CD.......NO QUAD SACD listing. It was always noted at the old SA~CD.net that when they tabulated the amount of SACDs sold every year that they were somehow clumped in with RBCD sales (as they DO contain a RBCD layer).

But thanks for the listing, Ryan. A MUCH anticipated release, at least for me.

I wish AmazonUS would at least get the listing correct. It's listed as a CD.......NO QUAD SACD listing. It was always noted at the old SA~CD.net that when they tabulated the amount of SACDs sold every year that they were somehow clumped in with RBCD sales (as they DO contain a RBCD layer).

But thanks for the listing, Ryan. A MUCH anticipated release, at least for me.

You expect amazon to worry about a listing...c'mon Ralphie...with their Drone program at a critical point...the fate of space travel hanging in the balance..it is not time to worry about what supports those programs financially...it's time to dream the dream..walk the walk..and talk the talk.."be the ball Danny"....

I'm looking forward to this title...not so much for the surround aspect...just that silky smooth voice...shame she left us so soon at 49...

You expect amazon to worry about a listing...c'mon Ralphie...with their Drone program at a critical point...the fate of space travel hanging in the balance..it is not time to worry about what supports those programs financially...it's time to dream the dream..walk the walk..and talk the talk.."be the ball Danny"....

I'm looking forward to this title...not so much for the surround aspect...just that silky smooth voice...shame she left us so soon at 49...

Clint, it's ALL in the presentation. Who wants a plate of hamburgers when you can have a rack of lamb on a marble slab?

Listing Laura Nyro for $29.95 as a CD is .........ridiculous.

Listing Laura at $29.95 as a QUAD SACD from Audio Fidelity is, well, Lamb~y! Put THAT in your drone....and smoke it.

Lindaaaaaaaaaaa...

What LP pressing has the scented lyric sheet? Only the first "360-Sound" label, right?

I'm sure you have/had that LP....

Here be the cover:
51%2BvmjFUQVL.jpg

I'm really excited about this release. I cannot wait to hear it in Quad. This is another artist/album that I had never heard of until this announcement. Thanks to Audio Fidelity for making this happen!

I'm really excited about this release. I cannot wait to hear it in Quad. This is another artist/album that I had never heard of until this announcement. Thanks to Audio Fidelity for making this happen!

It's an interesting album. You'll get to hear the songwriter's interpretation of familiar songs like Sweet Blindness, Eli's Coming and Stoned Soul Picnic along with her other compositions.

I would call myself a fairly ambitious music collector but this I have never heard of, most interesting!

Some thoughts from Remastering Engineer Steve Hoffman on the upcoming Laura Nyro Multichannel SACD on Audio Fidelity:

"Just wanted to say a few words about this upcoming title I mastered with Stephen Marsh for Audio Fidelity. You'll get the original surround mix plus the original stereo master mixes and original 1/2" four channel tape in (SACD) high-rez and CD rez.
Thanks to the good people at Sony Music for helping us nail this beautiful album.

As I wrote about another Laura Nyro album I mastered years ago, Yes, it was hard mastering work but I think it was worth it. These gems from the groundbreaking female Singer/Songwriter are going to make a wonderful SACD from Audio Fidelity.
Nice warm sound, the harshness of previous versions gone. Pure sound from the ORIGINAL stereo analog tape to the digital master.

Those of you who have heard of her but have never heard her, start here. Those of you who have this album already, try this new version, it's much more Audiophile Friendly, more natural sounding and it has the original 4.0 surround mix as well in high rez! Such a deal!"

Some thoughts from Remastering Engineer Steve Hoffman on the upcoming Laura Nyro Multichannel SACD on Audio Fidelity:

Brian, thanks for REALLY making my day! I had trepidations about this album as I've owned a lot of Nyro Vinyl and RBCD remasters (including the AF Gold Greatest Hits RBCD) and all had that (almost intolerable) strident top end and minimal bass. I was even concerned about the source utilized for the QUAD SACD (the Robbins 1/4" dupe??). Now that SH has confirmed it's from the 1/2" QUAD master tape and has a warmer sound, I am thrilled.

Hopefully should have it in a few days.

Laura Nyro wasn't only one of the greatest female pop singers/composers of her (or any) time.....IMO, she was an EVENT!

Laura Nyro's discography: https://www.discogs.com/artist/370500-Laura-Nyro

Hopefully down the road, AF will release her classic Columbia recordings as Stereo SACDs.

I was even concerned about the source utilized for the QUAD SACD (the Robbins 1/4" dupe??). Now that SH has confirmed it's from the 1/2" QUAD master tape and has a warmer sound, I am thrilled.

Remember, AF has access to the actual Sony vaults. So, if the Laura Nyro tape was in the vault (which it was) we get it direct from the 1/2" Master that would have produced the 2nd generation 1/4" Mike Robin Reels. No more bootleggin' for us!

I know it's not possible, but it sure would be fun to know what else is sitting in the vault unreleased. Steve Hoffman once hinted that for every Quad album that was released, there were probably 3 to 4 others we don't even know about that were prepared, mixed and sit on the shelf.

I was never into Laura Nyro, just knew her songs sung by others, and I remember that the guy in my dorm across the hall played this album a lot back in '71. But listening to this quad SACD is very revealing. Some of the tunes are very sparse and others have a big production. Her version of Stone Cold Picnic is pretty much the basis of the Fifth Dimension's version.

I was listening with a friend you all know to this in my big room and "Eli's Coming" was playing and it sounded big and bold, then towards the end it pulls back to bass in the rears and a solo vocal that sounds like it's coming from stage front clear a crisp and you get a totally different feel as the song ends.

This material will not be everyone's cup of tea but it's an enjoyable listen that is worth your consideration.

I was never into Laura Nyro, just knew her songs sung by others, and I remember that the guy in my dorm across the hall played this album a lot back in '71. But listening to this quad SACD is very revealing. Some of the tunes are very sparse and others have a big production. Her version of Stone Cold Picnic is pretty much the basis of the Fifth Dimension's version.

I was listening with a friend you all know to this in my big room and "Eli's Coming" was playing and it sounded big and bold, then towards the end it pulls back to bass in the rears and a solo vocal that sounds like it's coming from stage front clear a crisp and you get a totally different feel as the song ends.

This material will not be everyone's cup of tea but it's an enjoyable listen that is worth your consideration.

Thanks SO much Jon for posting this and whetting our (MY) appetite for what I consider to be a very important release.

As I've stated in other posts, all previous versions of ELI sounded shrill with hollow bass and AF's Steve Hoffman's remastering from the original 1/2 QUAD Masters seems to have come a long way in rectifying this oversight.

Hearing Ms Nyro via this QUAD SACD should, I hope, turn a few heads towards the realization that she was a one of a kind superb musician and had she not suffered from stage fright might've garnered her the attention that she so justly deserves.

Yes to all those who know how horrible the original Columbia 360 issues of Eli and New York Tendaberry sound, and I just thought of another album, Chicago II, which also suffers from this weird midrange and bass deficiency. Very excited to get this!

Just waiting for my pre-order to ship. I already have a download of one of the Mike Robin reels and think it sounds great so this official release should be fantastic.

I also plan to order the Original Album Classics set to complete my collection. Although only stereo CD's, they are a great value, five albums for about the cost of one, and mini LP sleeves too!

Back